S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Time for some upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 02:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
s550
Time for some upgrades

Ive had my car now for a bit and its more then needing a little facelift. I'm going to order the Amg kit today. Also will eventually do the newer led tails. Its in shop now getting the suspension fixed and will be lowered as well. I'm hoping it will all be done withing the next 2 weeks.

this is how it looks now.
Time for some upgrades-20150407_162628_zpsmyxzth2l.jpg
Old 11-01-2015, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 203 Likes on 127 Posts
Depends on the weather
Can't wait to see it done, especially in that color.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Off to a good start. Definitely needs more visual weight in the body to balance the 22's, are you doing Gary's S63 Kit?
Old 11-02-2015, 12:04 AM

s550
Originally Posted by WHPH28
Can't wait to see it done, especially in that color.
after looking at your car and there is another silver s550 with kit and vossen wheels. is what made me pull the plug and go ahead and order the kit. i cant wait till its done either.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:07 AM

s550
Originally Posted by Mike5215
Off to a good start. Definitely needs more visual weight in the body to balance the 22's, are you doing Gary's S63 Kit?
your right to me my car always looked a little off with just the 22s and looked to high. so i think lowering it a bit and adding the amg kit will look alot better. i tried ordering from gary but he is out of stock for 6 weeks. i went on ebay looked thru the kits, took pic of the kit and showed it to my paint and body guy. he said he has used this kit before and it fits good. so with full kit and grill i paid $1694 so not to bad at all.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:09 AM

s550
also does anyone know where to get these tips pretty quickly? on ebay it shows the end of nov. they would arrive. i need them within at least 2 weeks time. if not ill go with the square tips.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S600, 2011 Ducati 1198
Originally Posted by xxfightclubxx
your right to me my car always looked a little off with just the 22s and looked to high. so i think lowering it a bit and adding the amg kit will look alot better. i tried ordering from gary but he is out of stock for 6 weeks. i went on ebay looked thru the kits, took pic of the kit and showed it to my paint and body guy. he said he has used this kit before and it fits good. so with full kit and grill i paid $1694 so not to bad at all.
Did he say what the cost would be for fitment and paint?? And as for the tips, why not wait for the ones you really want?
Old 11-02-2015, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
also does anyone know where to get these tips pretty quickly? on ebay it shows the end of nov. they would arrive. i need them within at least 2 weeks time. if not ill go with the square tips.

Those style tips came with my Becker exhaust. Not sure how you'd use the ones in the lower pic, as you have dual vs quad exhaust now, so don't know if either of those inlets would line up with the one exhaust pipe.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:58 PM

s550
Originally Posted by ducatista4life
Did he say what the cost would be for fitment and paint?? And as for the tips, why not wait for the ones you really want?
im paying $940 total for paint and install with lifetime warranty. i actually ended up ordering some different squared style tips.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:01 PM

s550
Those style tips came with my Becker exhaust. Not sure how you'd use the ones in the lower pic, as you have dual vs quad exhaust now, so don't know if either of those inlets would line up with the one exhaust pipe.
i ended up going with different tips. they will be more squared. i had looked into putting a new exhaust system on my car but i really dont want it to be louder. i like how my car is quiet.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
i ended up going with different tips. they will be more squared. i had looked into putting a new exhaust system on my car but i really dont want it to be louder. i like how my car is quiet.
Yeah that's the smart play. The squares have a single inlet and they'll line up correctly. I have a set in the garage in case I ever want to go back to the stock mufflers, because I was nervous about changing the character of the car from stealth cruiser to whatever the f*ck it is now but I ended up really liking the change. Once in a rare while when I'm tired and just want the pampered treatment I miss the stock exhaust sound, but 99% of the time I'm digging the V8 rumble.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:14 AM

s550
Yeah that's the smart play. The squares have a single inlet and they'll line up correctly. I have a set in the garage in case I ever want to go back to the stock mufflers, because I was nervous about changing the character of the car from stealth cruiser to whatever the f*ck it is now but I ended up really liking the change. Once in a rare while when I'm tired and just want the pampered treatment I miss the stock exhaust sound, but 99% of the time I'm digging the V8 rumble.
what he was going to show me is a s550 where all he did was take off the resonators and add straight pipes. he saying its not loud at all. just when i get on it you will hear a lil rumble. i wouldnt mind that but i want to hear it first.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
what he was going to show me is a s550 where all he did was take off the resonators and add straight pipes. he saying its not loud at all. just when i get on it you will hear a lil rumble. i wouldnt mind that but i want to hear it first.
The 2012+ with the twin turbos can be straight piped. The turbos cut back a lot of the exhaust noise. I heard my NA 2010 straight piped at the muffler shop and it was horrible.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:28 PM

s550
The 2012+ with the twin turbos can be straight piped. The turbos cut back a lot of the exhaust noise. I heard my NA 2010 straight piped at the muffler shop and it was horrible.
what the guy was talking about is just taking off the resonators not the mufflers. theres no way i would take off my mufflers and add straght pipe. if hes talking about must the resonators and it sounds ok i might do it. but im really not to big into having my car sound loud.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:13 PM

s550
just ordered the led taillights as well. so im hoping to get car back next week. all the parts are in. just need paint and install kit and suspension parts.

i been looking for a new set of wheels but first want to get car back. been looking at vossen cv3 but seems like so many people have went with those wheels. they are cheap at around $2600 shipped. But also looking at some vip modular wheels but those go for around $6000 new. not sure if thats what i want to do. thats not cheap.

also has anyone used a lowering module for their car? ive seen one that comes with a controller going for $500. forgot the name and brand but wanted to see peoples opinions on these. thanks
Old 11-06-2015, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
also has anyone used a lowering module for their car? ive seen one that comes with a controller going for $500. forgot the name and brand but wanted to see peoples opinions on these. thanks
Is this what you're going for?

Old 11-06-2015, 07:11 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Not too difficult with a simple Y pipe at the end. Fairly easy and common mod that most exhaust shops worth their salt can do. Just have the diffuser ready so they can line it up properly.

As for lowering module, are you thinking steel, air, or juice?
Old 11-06-2015, 07:20 PM

s550
Please dont be the guy on here who talks trash or wants to make fun of people who do customize their cars. i love lowriders but am i going to do that with my car no. would i mind layin out my car parked no, i would love it. but having a controller where i can have settings at different ride heights would be perfect.

Last edited by xxfightclubxx; 11-06-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:23 PM

s550
heres the lowering module http://www.programainc.com/product_d...aspx?sf=LCMR01
Old 11-07-2015, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Please dont be the guy on here who talks trash or wants to make fun of people who do customize their cars. i love lowriders but am i going to do that with my car no. would i mind layin out my car parked no, i would love it. but having a controller where i can have settings at different ride heights would be perfect.
Lighten up Francis. Perhaps this is the look you're going for?

Old 11-07-2015, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
Not too difficult with a simple Y pipe at the end. Fairly easy and common mod that most exhaust shops worth their salt can do. Just have the diffuser ready so they can line it up properly.

As for lowering module, are you thinking steel, air, or juice?
I know on the AMG bumper, not a lot of room between the mufflers and the tips for the Y. The outlet of the OEM muffler essentially is the tip. The chrome "tip" itself is just part of the bumper and isn't connected to the exhaust at all. The muffler outlet sort of juts through it/floats in it. Maybe more room on the non AMG car. Probably makes more sense to just get the one in/two out square tips on eBay.

He's doing a whole kit so the diffuser won't be an issue, but an S63 diffuser is not a direct fit on a stock AMG rear bumper as I discovered.

I've never seen a module that wasn't in the $1k-$1500 range so no opinion on the $500 version. The Lopro unit that lets you adjust the height using the steering wheel buttons with a display on the speedo screen would be my first choice, but expensive.

Same results as far as lowering from the Ghostlinks or Adjustable Air Ride links, but they can't be adjusted on the fly like you can with a module.

Last edited by Mike5215; 11-07-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:46 PM

s550
Originally Posted by DaveW68
Lighten up Francis. Perhaps this is the look you're going for?

actually use to love that car. but now i dont like that body kit. not really going for those looks but i do want to be able to lay the car low if i want to. i definately wont be driving the car that low at all. ive had all types of cars and even show cars. ive bent the frame on one of my old cars before with air ride. not trying to do that with this car.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:50 PM

s550
I know on the AMG bumper, not a lot of room between the mufflers and the tips for the Y. The outlet of the OEM muffler essentially is the tip. The chrome "tip" itself is just part of the bumper and isn't connected to the exhaust at all. The muffler outlet sort of juts through it/floats in it. Maybe more room on the non AMG car. Probably makes more sense to just get the one in/two out square tips on eBay.

He's doing a whole kit so the diffuser won't be an issue, but an S63 diffuser is not a direct fit on a stock AMG rear bumper as I discovered.

I've never seen a module that wasn't in the $1k-$1500 range so no opinion on the $500 version. The Lopro unit that lets you adjust the height using the steering wheel buttons with a display on the speedo screen would be my first choice, but expensive.

Same results as far as lowering from the Ghostlinks or Adjustable Air Ride links, but they can't be adjusted on the fly like you can with a module.
i ended up just ordering the square tipes. it flowed better with the bumper then the round tips

where i live the roads a really bad. to get to most places the driveways go up pretty high. so being low all the time isnt gonna cut it. i know i have the raise button but i want to be able to ride with it higher if i need to. so the control with the lowering module is perfect. ive seen the display on screen its pretty bad ***. but i wasnt looking to spend that type of money on that module.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
i ended up just ordering the square tipes. it flowed better with the bumper then the round tips

where i live the roads a really bad. to get to most places the driveways go up pretty high. so being low all the time isnt gonna cut it. i know i have the raise button but i want to be able to ride with it higher if i need to. so the control with the lowering module is perfect. ive seen the display on screen its pretty bad ***. but i wasnt looking to spend that type of money on that module.
Someone on here has his module programmed to return to normal ride height over 30mph, so it's just low for cruising and admiring when it's parked. That's ideal, since you save the ride and no need for a new alignment.

Those Lo units come up on eBay for under $1k sometimes.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Just read thru the documents on that unit and it looks legit. There's that stand alone controller unit that you'd need to find a home for but it looks like a solid piece of equipment and you can't beat that price.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Time for some upgrades