S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Adding Sirius, car is not prewired

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 11:26 AM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
Adding Sirius, car is not prewired

Hello,

I have a 2007 S550 and want to add Sirius. I have a copy of DAS.

The car is NOT prewired for Sirius, but I think I can still add it.. here's why:

I have procured a Sirius (SDARS) module and it has the following connections:
1. Fiber (one fiber in, one fiber out)
2. 4 pin connector (+12v, ground, "wake up" and something else, can't remember)
3. Antenna connector

For #3, I'm using a Sirius "puck" style antenna (which I will put on the back deck). Have done this before on a W220 and it worked fine.

#1 and #2 are in the same connector. For #1, I assume I need a piece of fiber, and can add this device to the loop (pull fiber out of another module such as voice control, plug into SDARS, then take new piece to connect SDARS back to the voice control)

Wiring seems pretty simple.. +12V and ground. Wake up (I think) needs +12V to turn the SDARS on, so I'll just use the same wire to connect to +12V and Wakeup, therefore keeping the unit alive all the time.

Anyone know what the 4th wire is for? I assume is serves a purpose but can't figure it out.

Then I'll code the unit in using DAS.

There are other cars that use the same SDARS so I assume it's pretty similar. My SDARS came from a W204 but I believe W219 and a few other models use the identical unit. There are different revisions of the unit (some have "HD" radio, etc.) but they seem pretty interchangeable between models.

Will this work?
Old 01-27-2016, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
I guarantee you already know more about this than any of us. For me at least, the compression on Sirius/XM's music streams render them unlistenable, but I understand there are a lot of talk, sports and news streams too.

I would say if your car has an IPod integration unit (not many 07's did), get a BlueTooth adapter and the Sirius/XM app on your smartphone.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:05 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike5215
I guarantee you already know more about this than any of us. For me at least, the compression on Sirius/XM's music streams render them unlistenable, but I understand there are a lot of talk, sports and news streams too.
This. Not worth it. The sound quality is absolutely disgusting.

On your question. If you have the optical in/ out, antenna and power I wouldn't worry about the 4th wire.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Yeah. Surprisingly, beaming audio to geosynchronous satellites and then trying to beam it back to earth to thousands of tiny receivers turned out not to be the most effective way to stream music.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
I get a 'no service' message when trying to use Sirius. Occasionally the radio works but not for long. I have a free introductory service and have had signal sent several times. Always the same result. Anyone have the same issue. Car is a 2010 s550
Old 01-29-2016, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
I have not had to pay for Sirius radio in my S600 or my previous M5. I had the M5 about 18 months and have had the 600 about 14 months. Did Sirius offer lifetime subscriptions at some point?

Personally, I don't think the Sirius music channels sound bad at all. To my apparently unrefined ears, they sound almost identical to CD's. My biggest beef is that they have that Cousin Brucie clown on 60's on 6 who just never shuts the f#ck up. Sirius music is supposed to be commercial, and for the most part talk free. The sports channels sound the worst as they sound like the announcers are talking into cans.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:34 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2008 S550
Originally Posted by DaveW68
I have not had to pay for Sirius radio in my S600 or my previous M5. I had the M5 about 18 months and have had the 600 about 14 months. Did Sirius offer lifetime subscriptions at some point?
Getting off course here, but I don't know what Sirius does. I sold a car with Sirius. Called Sirius to cancel. They had no account on that car. I'd been driving for that car with Sirius for 2.5 years (I hadn't really paid attention to if I was ever charged or not). But, they had an account for a BMW I had that had no Sirius radio. It was confirmed inactive.

In any event, I agree with Mike - Sirius is not a great listening experience. Also, not sure what OP's set up would result in but my '08 does not get all Sirius channels. The receive is not, uh, receptive to them. A known issue. Which leaves theSirius choices pretty sheite, none of my fave channels are available.

I advise OP make sure how many channels he's gonna get before going through with all of this.

Or just hook up the Bluetooth somehow and do that.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
XM and Sirius were launched as separate competing subscription commercial free digital radio services. The economics were wrong and they each ended up adding commercials to their most popular channels, and adding more content.

Since there is a fixed amount of bandwidth on the satellites, they had to allocate it to the music channels based on revenue. (The talk and news channels used very little to begin with.) So the commercial laden, most popular channels got the most and sounded a bit better, where the more obscure ones got squat.

XM and Sirius eventually merged and I'm amazed they're still in business, since so many ways exist now to stream music in relatively high quality commercial free, but if you like the news/sports/ talk programming it's still the best option for that stuff.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:40 AM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
Originally Posted by DaveW68

Personally, I don't think the Sirius music channels sound bad at all. To my apparently unrefined ears, they sound almost identical to CD's. My biggest beef is that they have that Cousin Brucie clown on 60's on 6 who just never shuts the f#ck up. Sirius music is supposed to be commercial, and for the most part talk free. The sports channels sound the worst as they sound like the announcers are talking into cans.
Sirius DID offer lifetime subscriptions for $400 to $500 prior to the merger with XM at a time when they were short on cash (2006 to 2008). Depending on when the subscriptions were purchased there are different policies on transfer to a different radio. My subscription permits 3 transfers with a $75 transfer fee. The last lifetime subscriptions offered only allowed transfers to radios that are not factory installed in vehicles.