S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

I finally bought it Fellas!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.25 average.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
I think it came out great. Ive said it before, plenty if cars driving around us everyday with way worse work than that one.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Yeah, it's okay. Kind of like a guy who tumbles out of his hang glider but lands safely in a lake. Maybe next time just drive to the lake if you feel like a swim.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by jahquan3
I don't know how anyone can say Benzs55 is not a credit to this forum. There are several legit portions of this wonky thread that will be useful to members going forward. Regardless, on how he got to his intended outcome, he allowed us all to partake in the journey. This is exactly what the forum is for. Even some of the advice he did not follow will be helpful for someone else on a similiar path in the future.
Credit to this forum? So now you're a credit to the forum if you create a thread based on a poorly conceived plan (buy a wreck, bumper cover, and a mallet to pound out dents) and watch it evolve into a series of mishaps that sent him way over his original budget of $1k), and it is a credit to the forum? This was one of the dumbest threads I've ever read and I only partook in it for the funny parts (and it has been hysterical) and to offer some real life helpful advice which the goofy OP chose to ignore in favor of going with bad advice. In fact, he pretty much ignored all common sense and took the most nonsensical approach possible. I don't think there is anything that can be gained from this thread for others considering the same thing....except to not do what the OP did.

Originally Posted by nycphotography
The problem with "not a great idea" is that it is one of those value statements, you know an opinion, this is almost always expressed as if it were an absolute fact.

Maybe he knew he was willing to risk the $14k for the learning experience? Maybe he understood that if the whole thing went boom, he could still part it out and come out almost flat?

Maybe, and here's a really shocking thought that nobody on the internet ever seems able to grasp, maybe he knows his own circumstances better than we do? GASP! NO, that can't be possible. I mean we KNOW it's a bad idea. We KNOW he's an idiot. We KNOW all sorts of stuff...... that we don't actually know but we sure like to think we do.

THAT is my problem with the "it's a bad idea" judgement in general. It's arrogant. It's presumptive. And even though it's right for the speaker, and maybe even actuarially right in general, it completely dehumanizes the individual its being directed at by assuming them to be average, normal, and/or not capable of directing their own life and their own results.
He spent a lot more than $14k on this project. I believe he said it was over $17k. Yet he has a budget repaired car that is likely worth no more than $10k with the branded title. It was a very bad idea if you look at it with any kind of common sense. But the OP doesn't have any, so to him (and some of you folks too) he views the result as a success. Good for him I suppose. But he should have never posted that he was planning on selling the car right away, unless he was just trying to be funny in his own goofy kind of way.

His story was constantly evolving and changing throughout the thread. Reminded me a bit of Hillary Clinton. From his income, to his savings, to how much he could put a way in a month, to how much it would cost to make the car good enough to be titled and legally driveable.

The title of the thread should be changed to: "Buying a wreck on a budget: What not to do". I know that I and others who have offered the best and most logical advice and help have a few detractors here. But those detractors are likely the same kinds of folks who will get themselves into a bad situation and be looking for help because they threw logic and common sense out the window.

Last edited by DaveW68; 06-20-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Thank you for illustrating through action the point I was trying to make in words. An example always makes things so much clearer.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Thank you for illustrating through action the point I was trying to make in words. An example always makes things so much clearer.
Touche! And thank you for enforcing my point about detractors.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
I just saw this ad in another thread about a year newer rebuilt title S550 with the same mileage listed for half of what the OP thinks he can sell his car for. Yikes!!

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/5647831354.html
Old 06-22-2016, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
CLS55 AMG
that one even has a wood wheel. I wonder if it's got a fridge. If not, definitely not comparable.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Acura TL 2008 - Acura MDX 2012
Originally Posted by DaveW68
I just saw this ad in another thread about a year newer rebuilt title S550 with the same mileage listed for half of what the OP thinks he can sell his car for. Yikes!!

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/5647831354.html
"mercedes benz s550 2008 , 80,000 miles contact for more information"

The seller has choice grammar. Best part is how descriptive he is in how well it runs and drives.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by mercedesbenzs55
"mercedes benz s550 2008 , 80,000 miles contact for more information"

The seller has choice grammar. Best part is how descriptive he is in how well it runs and drives.
So now you're a grammar ****? Sieg Heil!! Reading through your many nonsensical posts, I think it's safe to say that you have no room to talk about proper grammar.

At least he's not trying to hide the fact that it is a rebuilt title. Now you know what a branded title rebuilt S550 with 80k miles really sells for. It gives you a better idea on what you could sell your car for. Although you might have to subtract a little because it's a year older. Have you listed your car for sale yet?
Old 06-22-2016, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So now you're a grammar ****? Sieg Heil!! Reading through your many nonsensical posts, I think it's safe to say that you have no room to talk about proper grammar.

At least he's not trying to hide the fact that it is a rebuilt title. Now you know what a branded title rebuilt S550 with 80k miles really sells for. It gives you a better idea on what you could sell your car for. Although you might have to subtract a little because it's a year older. Have you listed your car for sale yet?
Isn't that why you drive a 'Cedes?

You equate nonsense to proper grammar?
Old 06-22-2016, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
y

Isn't that why you drive a 'Cedes?

You equate nonsense to proper grammar?
I don't drive a 'Cedes. That is not any brand of car I've ever heard of.

You have not be the epitome of good grammar in many of your posts. Perhaps it's the language barrier. But your grammar is still better than many other ESL folks on this board who have a difficult time translating.

I think it's safe to say that the majority of your posts on this board have been nonsensical.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 543 Likes on 376 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
It's an 8 year old car with 80K miles. I would guess it drives like an 8 year old Mercedes with 80K miles. It is shocking how much these cars depreciate, I cannot imagine buying one new. So, OP, are you selling yours already?
Old 06-22-2016, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by superpop
It's an 8 year old car with 80K miles. I would guess it drives like an 8 year old Mercedes with 80K miles. It is shocking how much these cars depreciate, I cannot imagine buying one new. So, OP, are you selling yours already?
I'm going to post it, but first need to clean the car. It's gotten dusty
Old 06-22-2016, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
If you really do decide to sell it, be sure to post a link to the ad here so we can enjoy the show.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Touche! And thank you for enforcing my point about detractors.
The delusional arrogance of you, in your chosen role, calling anyone a "detractor" is beyond the pale.

Bravo! I expected no less of you.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 S550, 2006 911, 2006 M5, 2005 F-150 King Ranch
What happened to "I'm gonna keep this car forever" crap?

What a waste of a thread!!!
Old 06-23-2016, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
The delusional arrogance of you, in your chosen role, calling anyone a "detractor" is beyond the pale.

Bravo! I expected no less of you.
I can picture you saying that in your annoying and ugly NYC accent. (I had to throw some more arrogance your way since you seem to thrive on it. ) You are a detractor because you, like BenzS55, are against listening to or using any kind of common sense regarding his "project". I didn't choose the role of trying to help with common sense and logic. I guess it's just some sort of badge of honor that you've assigned to me.

Originally Posted by amgm5s8

The length and moronic content of the thread was always the real prize.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by amgm5s8

We are renting our house at the moment. In the next 24 months I predict the market will go down, that's when ill strike. I want to get a house with some land on it, and selling the 'Cedes will allow us to bolster the down payment. I would rather have appreciating land and house than a 9 yo 'Cedes with 80k miles. I wish I could keep it, something tells me ill buy a facelifted S550 for cheap after I get the house.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
We are renting our house at the moment. In the next 24 months I predict the market will go down, that's when ill strike. I want to get a house with some land on it, and selling the 'Cedes will allow us to bolster the down payment. I would rather have appreciating land and house than a 9 yo 'Cedes with 80k miles. I wish I could keep it, something tells me ill buy a facelifted S550 for cheap after I get the house.
You're at least $7k in the hole on your car....and it will keep getting worse with repairs and depreciation. Hopefully you'll learn from this mistake.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You're at least $7k in the hole on your car....and it will keep getting worse with repairs and depreciation. Hopefully you'll learn from this mistake.
Your verbal cadence suggests your feel as though I made a mistake. Is this how you communicate with your kin? Anytime they have a good idea, you denounce it because you didn't think of it? Bee+, we are not on earth forever.

I had fun with this project, now I wanna do a remodel on a house in a down market.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Your verbal cadence suggests your feel as though I made a mistake. Is this how you communicate with your kin? Anytime they have a good idea, you denounce it because you didn't think of it? Bee+, we are not on earth forever.

I had fun with this project, now I wanna do a remodel on a house in a down market.
The problem is that it was a bad idea. You talk about wanting to do these projects so that you can buy an appreciating asset, but you've already sunk yourself into a hole that will keep getting deeper. I'm glad you had fun with your project. But you'd have so much more money in 2 years or whenever you plan on beginning your next project if you never started this one.

Honestly, the thought would never have crossed my mind to buy a wrecked car for "as repaired" price and sink any kind of money into it. You and I obviously have different views on what a "good idea" is.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 T&C & '14 SL63
I can picture you saying that in your annoying and ugly NYC accent. (I had to throw some more arrogance your way since you seem to thrive on it. ) You are a detractor because you, like BenzS55, are against listening to or using any kind of common sense regarding his "project". I didn't choose the role of trying to help with common sense and logic. I guess it's just some sort of badge of honor that you've assigned to me.
By "common sense" you of course mean "exactly what I say because I say so". Nothing like a stuffed shirt to lead the way. At least until the sh*t hits the fan. It's obvious you're the first one to hide behind the pregnant woman when the shooting starts.

While the safe and secure way is clearly the only way that could work for a corporate pansy who has to pay someone to change the laces on his wingtips, thank god there are still real men in the world who are willing and able to do things with their own hands.

Annoying NYC accent? Hardly. I'm a hillbilly. Grew up under cars and swinging hammers, and not in NYC. It's OK though. I can see why it's inconceivable to you that someone would take the risk of moving away from mommy.
The following users liked this post:
mercedesbenzs55 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
By "common sense" you of course mean "exactly what I say because I say so". Nothing like a stuffed shirt to lead the way. At least until the sh*t hits the fan. It's obvious you're the first one to hide behind the pregnant woman when the shooting starts.

While the safe and secure way is clearly the only way that could work for a corporate pansy who has to pay someone to change the laces on his wingtips, thank god there are still real men in the world who are willing and able to do things with their own hands.

Annoying NYC accent? Hardly. I'm a hillbilly. Grew up under cars and swinging hammers, and not in NYC. It's OK though. I can see why it's inconceivable to you that someone would take the risk of moving away from mommy.

I could make a quip about a redneck striving to become a yankee, but that might be viewed as cliche in your book. Wait a minute, do you know what cliche means?

I guess anyone who takes a logical approach to doing things is automatically assumed to be a "corporate pansy" who is afraid to get their hands dirty. The way you tried to pigeonhole me is almost exactly the opposite of who I am. I have to say that you really made my day with your post. I haven't laughed at a post this hard in this thread in quite some time. You're starting to steal some of the thunder way from the OP.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Your logic. Your approach. There is other logic, and there are other approaches. It's a big (scary) world out there, Dave.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Your logic. Your approach. There is other logic, and there are other approaches. It's a big (scary) world out there, Dave.
I can't disagree with you there. And there is good logic and stupid logic. I choose the former. Some other folks....not so much.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.25 average.

Quick Reply: I finally bought it Fellas!