S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Want to buy STAR..Need guidance please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 10:15 AM

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
s550
Want to buy STAR..Need guidance please

Read a few threads on here. I figured i will probably forever own at least one Benz product at any given time of my life from hereon. And being quite tech savvy, i think the STAR tool is worth getting in my opinion.

That being said, there are so many variants, clones and versions out there. Lots on eBay. From what i gather, i should expect to spend between $500-$800 for a good one.
Someone please guide me to a good source to get one. Preferably one that will work with W222 and W463 cause those a are the cars i most likely will be getting next.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2016, 12:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
11 S550 4MATIC
This looks good as it's on a tablet:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MB-STAR-C4-2...oAAOSwbYZXeDZ3

I'm no expert so resident professionals will be able to help you better.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:09 PM

s550
hey

Originally Posted by fbracer
This looks good as it's on a tablet:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MB-STAR-C4-2...oAAOSwbYZXeDZ3

I'm no expert so resident professionals will be able to help you better.
That looks nice seems the only difference between this and other variants is that this one comes with a tablet as opposed to a laptop. With that that being said, if that is the only difference then i think i prefer to spend less than half of what this is selling for and be ok with the laptop variant.

That seller in the bay link seems to sell a lot of the MB STAR in different forms. Just need one that will work for the w222 and w463 at the very least and is not going to be a bad clone or whatnot. Found this in his list of options for sale
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MB-C3-Multipl...kAAOSwKIpV~YsP

but its a C3. i see people talk about C3 and C4. what is the difference?

he has this one for sale also. its a tablet and is C$ but is half the price of the first one. this is all confusing.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MB-STAR-C4-20...gAAOSwkZhWTlFt

what is best?

Last edited by just1time; 08-09-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:24 PM

s550
Did some digging and enlightened myself on the difference between C3 and C4. Seems C4 might be better for me.
For newbies and those interested in getting a little enlightenment, I will plagiarize a post i found online which summarizes the basics of MB STAR C3 and C4.

"MB Star Diagnostic Tool series are the Mercedes-Benz approved dealer diagnostic systems for troubleshooting and programming.

All Star diagnostic system will do Mercedes Benz 1989~up to now Car, Bus, Trucks, Sprint, Smart
MB SD Connect C4 is the newer Star system for newer models and support Mercedes with UDS protocol. SD Connect supports offline/online programming and Vediamo engineering software as well. Super MB STAR is the only Star tool that can be updated online.

All MB STAR Diagnostic systems come with multi-language basic software applications.

1.D-A-S / Xentry: the automatically Diagnosis Assistance System, Concise interface and straightforward operation with IB M high-quality computer can realize the quick and accurate code reading and the whole car system testing
2.W-I-S net: Workshop Information System Supply the whole view of the wiring diagram in a car, component location diagram and maintenance method. What you do is to enter the chassis number, and then you will get the manufacture data, engine configuration and the car model -all in detail.
3.EPC.net: Electronic Parts Catalog
4.ST Finder: Part location finder
5.STARUTILITIES: the movement management system and self-test
6.SDMEDIA
7.PL69

Super MB STAR C3 comes with more software programs, including Smart Tan Code, Developer model and Benz Disassembly system etc comparing with other Star systems.

There are basic 3 formats Star diagnosis software HDD: IBM T30 HDD, Dell D630 HDD, and moveable external HDD. Internal HDD runs faster and stable then external HDD. While external HDD can be easily replaced and has no computer limitation (any laptop has COM-PORT)"
The following 2 users liked this post by just1time:
fbracer (08-09-2016), The Thomas J (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 06:00 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by just1time
Did some digging and enlightened myself on the difference between C3 and C4. Seems C4 might be better for me.
For newbies and those interested in getting a little enlightenment, I will plagiarize a post i found online which summarizes the basics of MB STAR C3 and C4.

"MB Star Diagnostic Tool series are the Mercedes-Benz approved dealer diagnostic systems for troubleshooting and programming.

All Star diagnostic system will do Mercedes Benz 1989~up to now Car, Bus, Trucks, Sprint, Smart
MB SD Connect C4 is the newer Star system for newer models and support Mercedes with UDS protocol. SD Connect supports offline/online programming and Vediamo engineering software as well. Super MB STAR is the only Star tool that can be updated online.

All MB STAR Diagnostic systems come with multi-language basic software applications.

1.D-A-S / Xentry: the automatically Diagnosis Assistance System, Concise interface and straightforward operation with IB M high-quality computer can realize the quick and accurate code reading and the whole car system testing
2.W-I-S net: Workshop Information System Supply the whole view of the wiring diagram in a car, component location diagram and maintenance method. What you do is to enter the chassis number, and then you will get the manufacture data, engine configuration and the car model -all in detail.
3.EPC.net: Electronic Parts Catalog
4.ST Finder: Part location finder
5.STARUTILITIES: the movement management system and self-test
6.SDMEDIA
7.PL69

Super MB STAR C3 comes with more software programs, including Smart Tan Code, Developer model and Benz Disassembly system etc comparing with other Star systems.

There are basic 3 formats Star diagnosis software HDD: IBM T30 HDD, Dell D630 HDD, and moveable external HDD. Internal HDD runs faster and stable then external HDD. While external HDD can be easily replaced and has no computer limitation (any laptop has COM-PORT)"
I went the D630 route myself. Got my diag equipment off of aliexpress. Even though it came from China I probably got it within 7-8 days.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:49 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
That looks nice seems the only difference between this and other variants is that this one comes with a tablet as opposed to a laptop. With that that being said, if that is the only difference then i think i prefer to spend less than half of what this is selling for and be ok with the laptop variant.

That seller in the bay link seems to sell a lot of the MB STAR in different forms. Just need one that will work for the w222 and w463 at the very least and is not going to be a bad clone or whatnot. Found this in his list of options for sale
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MB-C3-Multipl...kAAOSwKIpV~YsP

but its a C3. i see people talk about C3 and C4. what is the difference?

he has this one for sale also. its a tablet and is C$ but is half the price of the first one. this is all confusing.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MB-STAR-C4-20...gAAOSwkZhWTlFt

what is best?
I agree. Just get the laptop. Not that I need another klaptop or tablet laying around. I was able to load the BMW software onto my laptop with a disk and use that to run the program. If I bought the laptop I would add the BMW software that I have as well.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
11 S550 4MATIC
Lots of information here:
http://www.*******.com
Old 08-09-2016, 11:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C207
Keep it coming
Old 08-10-2016, 03:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL55 AMG
i saw this website in another Mercedes forum, this is for STAR tools only
www.mbstarshop.com

They have original and clone STAR tool (C3,C4,C5) with laptop, tablet ...software hard drive, solid drive...
seems they always come with new DAS XENTRY EPC
Old 08-10-2016, 08:58 AM

s550
hey

Originally Posted by JTAC
i saw this website in another Mercedes forum, this is for STAR tools only
www.mbstarshop.com

They have original and clone STAR tool (C3,C4,C5) with laptop, tablet ...software hard drive, solid drive...
seems they always come with new DAS XENTRY EPC
anyone buy from this website before?
they have so many packages. confused on which one to even get for my use.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 S550 4Matic
My understanding is that there are two ways to run the cloned disk image. One option is to run native and use the same type of laptop from which the image was cloned (old Dell/IBM laptops). The other is to run in emulation mode in a virtual machine (e.g. VMWare).
The virtual machine adds another layer of overhead, complexity and potential issues. It would be interesting to see if a state of the art laptop with a fast SSD disk running VMware outperforms the old Dell/IBM PCs.

Last edited by gsholz; 08-10-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:59 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
2007 S600
anyone buy from this website before?
they have so many packages. confused on which one to even get for my use.
If you scroll down you'll see they are based out of China.

Guess the question is, do you want a wired mux or a wireless mux?

Along with that, there is somewhat of learning curve just getting it registered.

As for a VM image...well, I have both. Although not on SSD, the USB 3.0 external HD with the vhd is a factor of magnitude slower than my 630 with an internal HD. Then you have to jump through hoops with getting the com port exposed to the VM.
The following users liked this post:
gsholz (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Recommend C4 native on dell laptop
Old 10-31-2016, 04:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL55 AMG
C4 native solid drive runs faster than hard drive on dell laptop
http://www.mbstartool.com/wholesale/...aptop-4gb.html
Old 11-03-2016, 02:58 PM
bha

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
Originally Posted by JTAC
C4 native solid drive runs faster than hard drive on dell laptop
http://www.mbstartool.com/wholesale/...aptop-4gb.html
Can you clarify what you mean by this?

I have a Dell D630 with DAS running off an internal SSD. I have a C3.

Are you saying there is a faster option? I'm planning on buying a C4 so what laptop option is better.. should I replace my D630 with a faster machine and which one? I no longer need a serial port (since C4 is wireless) so I can buy any machine at all and am no longer tied to T30/D630 from what I can tell.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C207
Interesting