S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Sunroof issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S320CDI V221 Limousine
Sunroof issue

Hi, the sunroof on my S320 Limousine does not correspond well to the directions of the switch. For example, when I push the button forward to close the sunroof, it closes and immediately tilts upwards. While in this position, if you press the button down to fully close the sunroof you hear a clicking noise and it doesn't close. Then I press and hold the switch towards the back seats to open it but as it is moving it stops and stays open to about a third of the distance. To close it what I do is press the button forward up to the point that looks like its closed but after a few hours it is moving down 2-3 inches by itself, either raining or not. No reset procedures will solve this problem. This happened after I told the dealer to clean and lubricate the sunroof. Before it was working 100%. Now the dealer tells me that it might be a problem with either the switch or the motor and that the sunroof must be disassembled to find the cause. I want to know what you think before I take it in for the big job. Thank you.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,045 Likes on 968 Posts
1999 E300TD
Is it possible that you are being to heavy on the switch--push the switch and then take you finger off the switch---what happens??
The following users liked this post:
S owner (12-22-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 03:41 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
there are a bunch of microswitches the limit/ control the sunroof movement. it is possible that the dealer has bent/ shorted/ whoknowswhat some of them and now you get this behavior. it is also possible that the sunroof switch is wearing out and is sticking one way or another.

the car needs to be connected to star/ das and the various aspects of the sunroof diagnosed.
The following users liked this post:
S owner (12-22-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 04:01 PM

S320CDI V221 Limousine
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Is it possible that you are being to heavy on the switch--push the switch and then take you finger off the switch---what happens??
The sunroof moves but never opens fully or close firmly. When it's about to close, it immediately tilts at the back. After a few hours it tilts down and stays open a few inches, regardless if it's raining or not. No drilling sounds whatsoever.

Note that the summer opening and convenience closing function doesn't work either.

The dealer swears that the sunroof was fully working the time I deliver the vehicle but I cannot prove that it's their fault. I've spoken with the guy responsible for the work, making him to convince me that he indeed did something stupid or tried to open the sunroof manually but he insisted otherwise, that he followed the manufacturer guidelines only.

The moment I've found out that the sunroof doesn't work as intended, I deliver my vehicle to the dealer to normalize the sunroof with MB Xentry (diagnostics) but it failed, showing even more errors instead (door locks malfunction, lumbar support malfunction, and some other errors I don't remember) The dealer thinks all errors occurs from the custom fitted taxi meter on the mirror and the "FREE" sign at the passengers side, because they somehow have to be connected to the battery to operate and the electronics become unstable. Then again the taxi meter was installed a year ago.

Last edited by S owner; 12-22-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:11 PM

S320CDI V221 Limousine
Originally Posted by alx
there are a bunch of microswitches the limit/ control the sunroof movement. it is possible that the dealer has bent/ shorted/ whoknowswhat some of them and now you get this behavior.
I have a strong feeling you are 100% right. Unfortunately I cannot prove it. I don't think they want to be that honest with me...

Originally Posted by alx
the car needs to be connected to star/ das and the various aspects of the sunroof diagnosed.
Looking forward to that.