S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ABS/ESP Errors - How I Resolved Mine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 06:26 PM

Received 164 Likes on 125 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic
ABS/ESP Errors - How I Resolved Mine

I have a 2007 S550 4Matic. Last month I began getting errors with regards to ESP/ABS along with no power steering. The moment I would get to 18km/h the ABS/ESP error would fire and the power steering would no longer be available. Here's a list of the codes I read using STAR/XENTRY.

5905 Control unit N47-5 (ESP control unit), internal fault
5906 Control unit N47-5 (ESP control unit), internal fault
5944 Control unit N47-5 (ESP control unit), internal fault
5964 Component 'A7/3 (Traction system hydraulic unit)' has an internal fault.

5110 L6/2 (right front speed sensor) : Test wiring/ plug connection.

I knew the right front speed sensor was good because I replaced it with a new one and checked the connection to make sure it was solid. This led me to believe that there may be an issue with the reductor ring being dirty. This reductor ring is part of the axle for the 4Matic which means you would have to take apart a lot of stuff to clean it. I removed the sensor from it's hole and sprayed brake cleaner in that hole to "clean" it out. Once you place the red "tube" in the hole and engage the spray can you can see that you can also spray along the sides of the back side of the hub to get more of the "grime" and "dust". Once I did this "cleaning" and cleared the codes, the 5110 did not return but all of the other codes came back after driving.

I replaced the stock brake pads which generated a lot of dust to Akebono's a couple of months ago and could see how all of the dust could be responsible for my speed sensor error. It's real easy to pull of the wheel disconnect the sensor and spray brake cleaner into the hole.

With one error eliminated it was time to attack the ESP/ABS errors...

I used STAR/XENTRY and attemped to recalibrate the ABR which failed. I then cleared the ABR errors using STAR/XENTRY and then attempted recalibration which then worked. I then used STAR/XENTRY again and selected the "Road Test" option which places the car in "Test" mode and provides a list of steps to take complete the "Road Test". I didn't follow the steps correctly but discovered that in "Test/Dyno" mode though ABS/ESP etc were disabled I now had power steering and, Night View Assist, Distronic Plus all working which previously were not working due to the errors listed above. When I followed the steps for the "Road Test" correctly all of the lights went out and my car was back to normal meaning no more disabling of power steering, ABS, ESP once you reached 18 km/h.

Hopefully this will help someone else with similar issues, the errors would lead you to believe you need to replace your ESP module when it fact the ESP module could be fine and just need re-calibration.
The following 3 users liked this post by EasyPhil:
kbob999 (11-01-2022), MikeKerr7 (09-30-2021), samirshah001 (07-19-2018)
Old 11-14-2017, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 S550 4Matic
Hello EasyPhil
My car is experiencing the ESP and the cruise control inoperative message would like to know if you can help i live in Brooklyn NY all so would like to know if we can link up because i need to get this problem fixed b4 the snow come down let me if possible. I've been to the shop numerous times and still no luck I have the big snap-on scanner and the same code
598400 N47-5 (ESP Control Unit) Calibrate Control
589200 N47-5 (ESP Control Unit) Calibrate Control
But i'm new to the scanner I cannot bring up the Drive Cycle have to go and take some classes so I can learn the scanner better would like to see if you can use your Star Scanner and see if i can get my ESP Calibrated. If so not sure if you're on WhatsApp with the Team Mercedes Group if send me a text use the name Hammer and I'll answer back if not then please hit me on Hammerbc745@gmail.com thank you in advance.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 s550 w221
2009 mercedes S550 w221

Originally Posted by EasyPhil
I have a 2007 S550 4Matic. Last month I began getting errors with regards to ESP/ABS along with no power steering. The moment I would get to 18km/h the ABS/ESP error would fire and the power steering would no longer be available. Here's a list of the codes I read using STAR/XENTRY.

I knew the right front speed sensor was good because I replaced it with a new one and checked the connection to make sure it was solid. This led me to believe that there may be an issue with the reductor ring being dirty. This reductor ring is part of the axle for the 4Matic which means you would have to take apart a lot of stuff to clean it. I removed the sensor from it's hole and sprayed brake cleaner in that hole to "clean" it out. Once you place the red "tube" in the hole and engage the spray can you can see that you can also spray along the sides of the back side of the hub to get more of the "grime" and "dust". Once I did this "cleaning" and cleared the codes, the 5110 did not return but all of the other codes came back after driving.

I replaced the stock brake pads which generated a lot of dust to Akebono's a couple of months ago and could see how all of the dust could be responsible for my speed sensor error. It's real easy to pull of the wheel disconnect the sensor and spray brake cleaner into the hole.

I used STAR/XENTRY and attemped to recalibrate the ABR which failed. I then cleared the ABR errors using STAR/XENTRY and then attempted recalibration which then worked. I then used STAR/XENTRY again and selected the "Road Test" option which places the car in "Test" mode and provides a list of steps to take complete the "Road Test". I didn't follow the steps correctly but discovered that in "Test/Dyno" mode though ABS/ESP etc were disabled I now had power steering and, Night View Assist, Distronic Plus all working which previously were not working due to the errors listed above. When I followed the steps for the "Road Test" correctly all of the lights went out and my car was back to normal meaning no more disabling of power steering, ABS, ESP once you reached 18 km/h.

Hopefully this will help someone else with similar issues, the errors would lead you to believe you need to replace your ESP module when it fact the ESP module could be fine and just need re-calibration.
Old 10-31-2022, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E 430 4MATIC - 2008 S5504Matic

So to recalibrate it you need the STAR/XENTRY???? Or go to a shop that does?

Old 10-31-2022, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 758 Likes on 642 Posts
S500
from many posts on many forums, the ABS sensors nearly always fail on every 221 around the 10 year mark... merc's recco is to always replace both sensors on the same axle - I presume either they think the other side will shortly fail too, and or the reading of a new senor is strong enough to muddle the cars small brain

on another model, reading the responses on another forum this weekend re the same error message and it being "stuck in road test mode" - they all seem to suggest once the car has brought up the "my brain is scrambled" warning message - the car must go through a successful fault clear and a successful check that the data from each sensor is good enough for the ESP to start working safety before the car will get past that specific error message

he had the icarsoft tool and couldn't get this test - I can't get it on an autel tool - both around the $400 mark.... I have also struggled to get the Merc dealer kit to get through this road test
Old 10-31-2022, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by BOTUS
from many posts on many forums, the ABS sensors nearly always fail on every 221 around the 10 year mark... merc's recco is to always replace both sensors on the same axle - I presume either they think the other side will shortly fail too, and or the reading of a new senor is strong enough to muddle the cars small brain

on another model, reading the responses on another forum this weekend re the same error message and it being "stuck in road test mode" - they all seem to suggest once the car has brought up the "my brain is scrambled" warning message - the car must go through a successful fault clear and a successful check that the data from each sensor is good enough for the ESP to start working safety before the car will get past that specific error message

he had the icarsoft tool and couldn't get this test - I can't get it on an autel tool - both around the $400 mark.... I have also struggled to get the Merc dealer kit to get through this road test

You are talking about the wheel speed sensors I assume. I did look at them and all of them are getting accurate readings. Changing them would be a waste of money since they are all working as they should. The only odd reading I get is the one side is getting inaccurate break pressure readings. They show a small reading even when I dont step on the brakes. They go up like all 4 wheels do when I do hit the breaks but never go back to 0
Old 10-31-2022, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
yes, ABS sensors = wheel speed sensors = less typing my way

static the breaking wires where most of the suspension movement occurs, can test ok, but over bumpy roads they send gibberish - for ABS the system is designed to cope with random gibberish as that may be the level of grip for an individual wheel - but ESP needs reliable data or you crash
Old 10-31-2022, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by BOTUS
yes, ABS sensors = wheel speed sensors = less typing my way

static the breaking wires where most of the suspension movement occurs, can test ok, but over bumpy roads they send gibberish - for ABS the system is designed to cope with random gibberish as that may be the level of grip for an individual wheel - but ESP needs reliable data or you crash
Yea, I looked at them, they all have accurate and generally the same readings at all speeds up to 50 MPH which is where I stopped monitoring them. All stayed solid as far as the readings on all road surfaces, smooth, bumpy turning fast, turning slow. They are all good.
Old 04-05-2023, 06:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S450L
I also have the same problem with Component A7/3 has internal fault and Control unit N47-5 internal fault. It only comes after about 18km/h. It deactivates ABS, ESP, Park assistant and Power Steering.

I've checked all parameters(presure, abs sensors, etc.), everything seems to be ok except one of them: longitudinal acceleration. No matter what I do, it's almost impossible to move it more than +- 0.1. I bought a second hand cluster sensor (part number A 004 542 39 18) but with the new one it's the same. I am wondering if it's normal to have no change in longitudinal acceleration. Is there anyone who can test that on his car?

Old 09-16-2023, 05:35 PM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters

I used STAR/XENTRY and attempted to recalibrate the ABR, which failed. I then cleared the ABR errors using STAR/XENTRY and then attempted recalibration which then worked. I then used STAR/XENTRY again and selected the "Road Test" option which places the car in "Test" mode and provides a list of steps to take complete the "Road Test". I didn't follow the steps correctly but discovered that in "Test/Dyno" mode though ABS/ESP etc were disabled I now had power steering and, Night View Assist, Distronic Plus all working which previously were not working due to the errors listed above. When I followed the steps for the "Road Test" correctly all of the lights went out and my car was back to normal meaning no more disabling of power steering, ABS, ESP once you reached 18 km/h.

Phil...you did help! Similar issue...same result.

First step...clean all the wheel sensors. No joy.
Xentry Codes 5964, 5944. 5962, 5945. Would not clear. At first would not calibrate the ABR either. Ran the Road Test and it completed, but still had issues.
Tried COMAND Engineering Mode but did not find where to turn off ESP/ABS. Did not go to Dyno Mode. Removed electrical connector block from ABS to check condition...all looks good.
But now power steering is back, and I can drive normally. Hmmmm...

So before I pull the module and send out for repair, I put Xentry back on, cleared codes on ABR, ran Calibration again and voila...everything is good!
It just needed a good beating on calibration. Only did a 1 mile test loop with ABS check, but all is well. Normally it fails in 100 feet.

Why did it happen?
I'm guessing here...we were just driving in monsoon rain in AZ, which is rare. Pretty sure something got wet and needed to dry out.
Of course it's 90 degrees and dew point 45 degrees today, so very dry again.

That is why I immediately suspected wheel sensors getting dirty from the rain.
FYI - I run Akebono pads and the only dust was from prior pads...not the Akebono. Highly recommended.

As EasyPhil said, hope this prevents someone from buying parts when a good calibration will fix it.
My cost = 3 hours banging on keyboards and checking stuff.
Old 09-17-2023, 04:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
wheel speed sensors die and throw multiple faults everywhere on the car including stopping it selecting gears and making power steering random at times ! and they often die progressively

First simple test I would do - get to the wheel speed sensor values and drive the car - if there's a dead one or ones that are not reading well they need replacing

of the four genuine new ones I fitted in 4 years and 15k miles, one rear already totally died and so I put back the non dead original - and when checking, I saw both fronts look to me to be misreading quite a lot - got to love the bilge quality
Old 09-17-2023, 04:35 PM

Received 164 Likes on 125 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic
If you are having calibrating the ABS unit it may bee a sign that that the electronic module is failing. This happened to me, see this thread for more information: Thinking of replacing your ABR/ESP module? Here's my story.