S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

P0366 & P0367 Codes - Oil in Sensors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 10:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
96 S 420
P0366 & P0367 Codes - Oil in Sensors

So, 2013 S550 with 78,000 miles, yellow check engine light comes on and is throwing p0366 and p0367 codes for camshaft and crankshaft sensors. Dealer diagnosis problem and find oil has migrated up through the wire into the sensor and is causing the code. Claiming its a rare problem that effects only 1% of the cars and the "plan b" repair is to replace the sensors and cables or whatever and apply a type of sealant that will insulate the sensor from future oil intrusion. $1,300 bucks. Plan A is an ugly repair, says he, that could cost 9 grand, but they are confident that plan b will fix the problem and shouldn't happen again.

Anyone ever go through anything like this? I'm not a DIY guy, but I have a relationship with another mechanic and if simple enough can have him do it (assuming significant savings). Half tempted to not even bother with the repair until the car starts acting hinkey. Right now performance isn't altered...just stupid yellow light.

Thoughts?
Old 03-11-2019, 12:14 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
13 S550 4MATIC, 14 S63
Hey man I hate bumping old threads but what ended up happening with this? Did you end up waiting or getting the fix? I have a diagnosis tomorrow on my ‘13 scheduled.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gl450 2014
Originally Posted by KingsoverQueens
So, 2013 S550 with 78,000 miles, yellow check engine light comes on and is throwing p0366 and p0367 codes for camshaft and crankshaft sensors. Dealer diagnosis problem and find oil has migrated up through the wire into the sensor and is causing the code. Claiming its a rare problem that effects only 1% of the cars and the "plan b" repair is to replace the sensors and cables or whatever and apply a type of sealant that will insulate the sensor from future oil intrusion. $1,300 bucks. Plan A is an ugly repair, says he, that could cost 9 grand, but they are confident that plan b will fix the problem and shouldn't happen again.

Anyone ever go through anything like this? I'm not a DIY guy, but I have a relationship with another mechanic and if simple enough can have him do it (assuming significant savings). Half tempted to not even bother with the repair until the car starts acting hinkey. Right now performance isn't altered...just stupid yellow light.

Thoughts?
I had similar issue with my 2014 Gl450. So bought two sensors and replaced (passenger side of engine) them but codes did not go away I also started seeing p0012. Scoured the web looking and found out the oil on connector issue. This issue is happening with so many people. I actually noticed so much oil on connector when I changed the sensors. All made sense then. Sensors are ok but oil is preventing the electrical contact causing sensor is not not to work. I called a mechanic on the best wat to clean oil from electrical outlet. I bought a couple of cans degreaser/parts cleaner from Amazon. I took the sensors out sprayed connector cable and sensor multiple rounds spray wait 15 minutes spray again heavily. I did that until I finished a whole can. Then at the end of they day I put the sensors back plug everything in and I started the car. Wow it started as it used to quick. I cleared the codes and checked all gone. FIX Cost me $15 bucks in my case. I HOPE THIS HELPS OTHERS, because MB could charge you 1000 times that based on some of the posts I saw.
Since I had 4 sensors I was able to get 3 cleaned that work when rotating from one spot to another. One sensor kept on failing no matter where I placed it or how much I cleaned ( bad sensor and it was one of the newly bought ones). I also noticed if the sensor is not tightened right it will not function. Buy be careful not to tighten too much. Good luck to all