S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

PLEASE HELP 2007 S550 W221 Airmatic Issue PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Mercedes S550
Unhappy PLEASE HELP 2007 S550 W221 Airmatic Issue PLEASE HELP

2007 Mercedes s550 (90k) For 8 months now, only after driving the car for 5-10min yellow airmatic failure light comes on. I get "Central Reservoir takes too long to fill " code. My Mercedes Indy shop used a SDS & said no leaks found anywhere in system and everything works 100% as it should. My car sags only half an inch afterbeing parked for 24hrs. I was told that is normal. I still went ahead and put a Brand New Oem Air compressor, Brand New Relay, New air compressor filter, that still didn't work, so I put in a Brand new valve block, and I still get an air matic malfunction yellow air after driving the car for 5 to 10 minutes. It passes All Star leakage, compressor tests I don't hear hissing the car stays up on all 4 corners after being parked for 2 days, also all corners nice and equal heights. I'm at my wit's end!!!! My mechanic with a Star can't figure it out, car drives and handles beautifully goes up and down with the press of the manual raise button, like I said the malfunction won't go off unless I'm moving down the road. It throws dash warning!? YET SDS produces no leaks anywhere in the system. Why is my car complaining? Could it be an intermittent Leak with one of the shocks that only when I'm hitting bumps the bladder bleeds out??? I can't fathom changing out the whole air suspension system and keep guessing parts. PLEASE Any ideas would be appreciated...

Last edited by ambitioussteve; 09-03-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2010 S550 Black on Black
I just replaced my 2 front struts, valve block, and suspension ECU. The shop said they were still getting Suspension Malfunction error even though everything was working as it should. They decided to re-flash the Suspension ECU unit and that took care of it. The car now drives so smooth with no errors. Not sure if this is your problem but it worked for me.

Last edited by Ninamashr; 09-04-2018 at 12:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ambitioussteve (09-04-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 03:53 AM

w221
check airmatic sensor
Old 09-05-2018, 01:45 PM

2007 Mercedes S550
Thanks, which specific sensor/location? I know there are level sensors for each strut. Which sensor be very specific, thank you very much in advance. (When I figure this out I will post the fix!)
Old 09-05-2018, 02:48 PM

w221
You need star diagnostic to specific which strut is error.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:48 PM

2007 Mercedes S550
Thank You very much for this idea! I think next step for me is like you mentioned a reflash of the Suspension ECU. FYI Last year only my drivers window switch stopped working completely (it ended up needing re flashing the module in the drivers door) and sure enough came back to life.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:50 PM

2007 Mercedes S550
Yes SDS Shows no leaks and all components passing tests. That's why I am posting here, we are stumped why after 5min into a drive throws error for Central Reservoir. Only then. Then resets upon start up.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:13 PM

2007 Mercedes S550
Latest Update:

CONVERTING TO STRUTMASTER SPRINGS (I'm done with Airmatic Nightmares) $996 for all 4 struts & module to remove malfunction light. Reviews are supposedly Strutmasters ride very well, difference is Negligible according to reviews.

Originally Posted by ambitioussteve
2007 Mercedes s550 (90k) For 8 months now, only after driving the car for 5-10min yellow airmatic failure light comes on. I get "Central Reservoir takes too long to fill " code. My Mercedes Indy shop used a SDS & said no leaks found anywhere in system and everything works 100% as it should. My car sags only half an inch afterbeing parked for 24hrs. I was told that is normal. I still went ahead and put a Brand New Oem Air compressor, Brand New Relay, New air compressor filter, that still didn't work, so I put in a Brand new valve block, and I still get an air matic malfunction yellow air after driving the car for 5 to 10 minutes. It passes All Star leakage, compressor tests I don't hear hissing the car stays up on all 4 corners after being parked for 2 days, also all corners nice and equal heights. I'm at my wit's end!!!! My mechanic with a Star can't figure it out, car drives and handles beautifully goes up and down with the press of the manual raise button, like I said the malfunction won't go off unless I'm moving down the road. It throws dash warning!? YET SDS produces no leaks anywhere in the system. Why is my car complaining? Could it be an intermittent Leak with one of the shocks that only when I'm hitting bumps the bladder bleeds out??? I can't fathom changing out the whole air suspension system and keep guessing parts. PLEASE Any ideas would be appreciated...
Ran SDS DIAGNOSTICS AGAIN. Air suspension 100% Working. No leaks. Passed all Tests, HOWEVER when checking reservoir pressure when the test goes green it DOES NOT STOPas it should and keeps going & going into the red. That I have never seen as is not normal. ANY IDEAS??

Last edited by ambitioussteve; 09-21-2018 at 04:58 PM. Reason: FINAL UPDATE
Old 02-25-2019, 07:38 AM

S550
ambitioussteve,
Did you get the Strutmaster spring conversion? I'm thinking of doing that too. If you completed the conversion how is the ride height?