S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

rpm's raising slightly when breaking from acceleration ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 s550 RWD
rpm's raising slightly when breaking from acceleration ?

Hey guys i have a question since we all have the same car it should be pretty easy for one of you guys to check it out and let me know. Today i noticed when i step on the brake after accelerating my rpms raise slightly for a second then lowers back to regular. This all happens when im driving i just need you guys to check while your going about 40-60 watch the rpms as you hit the brake to slow down and ldet me know if the raise a little before regulating.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:38 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
2010 CL550
Originally Posted by tgrant56
Hey guys i have a question since we all have the same car it should be pretty easy for one of you guys to check it out and let me know. Today i noticed when i step on the brake after accelerating my rpms raise slightly for a second then lowers back to regular. This all happens when im driving i just need you guys to check while your going about 40-60 watch the rpms as you hit the brake to slow down and ldet me know if the raise a little before regulating.
I have a 2010 cL550 with the m273 engine(with 100k miles) which is the same platform as your s550 and without a doubt I’ve been noticing the same exact thing, problem is I’m not sure if it’s always been like that or it’s something new..I’ve heard it could have something to do with spark plugs and ignition coils, as well as an aging fuel pump..I plan on replacing all the plugs and coils as soon as possible as this should have been done by now anyway, I’ll report back on that note. How many miles on your car? What year?..anyone else chime in on this as I’ve been meaning to ask the same question.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:06 AM

2008 s550 RWD
hey so mine is a 08 s550 base 103,000 i changed all 8 spark plugs already about two weeks ago so i doubt its the spark plugs it could possibly be the ignition coils but wont know until i swap them. during my research i saw it could also be a vacuum leak. im not really sure but it feels like how a manual car does when you downshift at higher speeds just not as noticeable. Like you i cant dont know if this always happened or just started
Old 12-21-2018, 01:10 PM

2010 CL550
Originally Posted by tgrant56
hey so mine is a 08 s550 base 103,000 i changed all 8 spark plugs already about two weeks ago so i doubt its the spark plugs it could possibly be the ignition coils but wont know until i swap them. during my research i saw it could also be a vacuum leak. im not really sure but it feels like how a manual car does when you downshift at higher speeds just not as noticeable. Like you i cant dont know if this always happened or just started
yes, also heard it could be a vacuum leak or clogged air filter(neither of which are the culprit on my car) I forgot to mention it’s also more pronounced if I’m coasting downhill. Same with you?
Old 12-21-2018, 02:15 PM

2008 s550 RWD
Yea i doubt its my air filters either i just changed them out a week before the spark plugs. It would be nice if other w221 owners could test it on there vehicle and chime in. In my head i want to say if your going fast and hit the brakes it makes the car downshift to a lower gear in turn raising the rpms for a moment then regulate after but this is a benz you would think it would throw it in a low enough gear to wear it wouldnt do that but hopefully more ppl comment and we can gather data
Old 12-21-2018, 03:54 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
Could be simply a result of the transmission downshifting to lower gears as you slow down. When you shift to a lower gear, the RPMs must increase to match the current vehicle speed.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:44 PM

2010 CL550
Originally Posted by steveb9771
Could be simply a result of the transmission downshifting to lower gears as you slow down. When you shift to a lower gear, the RPMs must increase to match the current vehicle speed.
if youve ever driven diesel trucks before, it feels like engine braking..which might be normal, but im not sure