S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wheel Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 12:44 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
S550
Wheel Advice

Hi all, I need a both direction here.

I am thinking of buying new wheels for my 08 4Matic.

The original wheels are scuffed (Part of the Sport Package) and the brake dust makes me crazy. (OCD)

I want black wheels (I think). Is there anything I need to know about wheels? Is more expensive somehow better? Is there an FAQ on wheels someone. can give me?

I am hoping to get some advice before I mess this up. Best to you all.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Hi all, I need a both direction here.

I am thinking of buying new wheels for my 08 4Matic.

The original wheels are scuffed (Part of the Sport Package) and the brake dust makes me crazy. (OCD)

I want black wheels (I think). Is there anything I need to know about wheels? Is more expensive somehow better? Is there an FAQ on wheels someone. can give me?

I am hoping to get some advice before I mess this up. Best to you all.
black wheels look terrible on most color cars unless your car is black too

akebono ceramic brake pads virtually eliminate the brake dust issue
Old 01-21-2019, 09:50 AM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
I agree with tusabe. Black wheels look terrible, and I personally think even on black cars they don't look too great either.

It will cheapen the look of your S550 and make it look like everything else on the road

Have you considered having them repaired and refinished? Rather than putting lower quality aftermarket wheels on, find out from your local dealer who they use for wheel refinishing and go there with the wheels.

They can refinish the wheels in original colour (or I guess black too if you insist)

Slap on a set of Akebono pads and they'll look great. I put a set of Akebonos on the front of my wife's GL. Remember that 80% of the brake dust was on the front wheels before. I now find that the REAR wheels end up dirtier after a week of driving than the fronts!
Old 01-21-2019, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
def do the akebonos, what size wheel are you considering?
Old 01-21-2019, 07:41 PM

S550
Originally Posted by tusabes

black wheels look terrible on most color cars unless your car is black too

akebono ceramic brake pads virtually eliminate the brake dust issue
I thank you. for the input. I happen to have a black car but I know little about ceramic brakes so I must look into it.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:43 PM

S550
Originally Posted by 1bad540
def do the akebonos, what size wheel are you considering?
I was thinking of 19inch wheels.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:45 PM

S550
Originally Posted by bha
I agree with tusabe. Black wheels look terrible, and I personally think even on black cars they don't look too great either.

It will cheapen the look of your S550 and make it look like everything else on the road

Have you considered having them repaired and refinished? Rather than putting lower quality aftermarket wheels on, find out from your local dealer who they use for wheel refinishing and go there with the wheels.

They can refinish the wheels in original colour (or I guess black too if you insist)

Slap on a set of Akebono pads and they'll look great. I put a set of Akebonos on the front of my wife's GL. Remember that 80% of the brake dust was on the front wheels before. I now find that the REAR wheels end up dirtier after a week of driving than the fronts!
Thanks so much for the response. I must look into this. I never thought of refinishing the wheels. someone told me that there are shops that will redo them for about $150 each. Does that sound like a good price to you?
Old 01-22-2019, 12:56 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
G63/X5M
I had the same issues with the stock 19's having clear coat issues. I ended up just getting them refinished in silver again. Gave them new life. Your average shop should charge anywhere from $150-$200 per wheel, depending on size etc. I also put 15mm spacers all around just to help with the overall appearance.