S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

PSA: Update your Airmatic compressor relay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 - 2007 - S550 /// W164 - 2006 - ML350
PSA: Update your Airmatic compressor relay

Public Service Announcement:

This morning I woke up to a surprise Airmatic malfunction warning. Immediately turned off the car and noticed that the compressor continued running.

After freezing outdoors looking for the location of the relay and cursing the engineering that makes it mandatory to use tools to open the front fuse box, I pulled the relay but not before the pump had run continuously for approx. 45 minutes. I got the updated "Hella" relay from dealer and all appears well.

I think that the cold weather fused the relay closed (on).

If you haven't done so, you should consider replacing your relay.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:47 AM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
Originally Posted by edwin.dario
Public Service Announcement:

This morning I woke up to a surprise Airmatic malfunction warning. Immediately turned off the car and noticed that the compressor continued running.

After freezing outdoors looking for the location of the relay and cursing the engineering that makes it mandatory to use tools to open the front fuse box, I pulled the relay but not before the pump had run continuously for approx. 45 minutes. I got the updated "Hella" relay from dealer and all appears well.

I think that the cold weather fused the relay closed (on).

If you haven't done so, you should consider replacing your relay.

Good advice. I think given the difficulty to open that fuse box it may be easier and faster to disconnect the battery first to stop the pump from running continusley and than work on getting the relay out.