S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Not loving my S350 CDI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S350 cdi
Not loving my S350 CDI

Hi all

New mwber here with a new to me S350 Cdi with full MB history and 75000 miles.

A few days after buying it the torque converter and drive plate decided to give way luckily this is being fixed on warranty.

Other than the usual are releasing when you park the vehicle I am getting a very strange high pitched squeak coming from the front right side. It can happen anytime on a corner under braking on rough ground on a flat level ground. Occasionally it makes the same squeak when releasing when parking and is driving me insane. Its like a bird is trapped under there!

The rear suspension never seems to want to level itself to the correct level. If I hire the car and put it back down it stays at the correct level and if I put weight in the back it will level itself back correctly. If I drive around town not reaching any sort of Speed it stays at that height. If I do some faster driving it drops and does not level itself back. If I then sit people in the back it will level itself back to the very lowest setting again not the correct level.

The cooled seats are like an asthmatic blowing through a straw and pretty much useless.

And to top it off the stereo just isn't very loud at all.

I really wish I hadn't bought it.

So with that runs out of the way does anyone have any suggestions for the squeak it's driving me mad.

With the suspension I'm sure I read that the car is meant to lower herself over 40 miles per hour I think this is what it's doing but not then going back to the normal position when it should do.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,835 Likes on 3,022 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Welcome. Sorry to hear about the trevails. Mercedes air suspensions, unfortunately, are known for reliability shortcomings. Searching this site will bring up much information. The squeak sounds like either brakes or an engine belt.

Do you have a relationship with a Mercedes dealer, or a qualified repair shop? They should be able to easily sort out the squeak, and also can let you know the available options for the suspension.

What stereo are you comparing with? What vehicle were you driving prior to the S350?
Old 04-14-2019, 03:22 PM

S350 cdi
Originally Posted by chassis
Welcome. Sorry to hear about the trevails. Mercedes air suspensions, unfortunately, are known for reliability shortcomings. Searching this site will bring up much information. The squeak sounds like either brakes or an engine belt.

Do you have a relationship with a Mercedes dealer, or a qualified repair shop? They should be able to easily sort out the squeak, and also can let you know the available options for the suspension.

What stereo are you comparing with? What vehicle were you driving prior to the S350?
The squeek is 100% related to the suspension air release as very occasionally it does it when I switch off at the same time as the usual noise. It was a search that lead me here. There was a similar post in 2015 with the same noise however it didn't get answered, I've sent a msg to the op of that post

Sterio wise I was in a lexus gs450h before, but I work as a detailer so I'm in and arround high end cars all day. I've my wife's golf sounds better!
Old 04-17-2019, 11:02 AM

2013 S350, 1994 SL320
Originally Posted by Deadeye
Hi all

New mwber here with a new to me S350 Cdi with full MB history and 75000 miles.

A few days after buying it the torque converter and drive plate decided to give way luckily this is being fixed on warranty.

Other than the usual are releasing when you park the vehicle I am getting a very strange high pitched squeak coming from the front right side. It can happen anytime on a corner under braking on rough ground on a flat level ground. Occasionally it makes the same squeak when releasing when parking and is driving me insane. Its like a bird is trapped under there!

The rear suspension never seems to want to level itself to the correct level. If I hire the car and put it back down it stays at the correct level and if I put weight in the back it will level itself back correctly. If I drive around town not reaching any sort of Speed it stays at that height. If I do some faster driving it drops and does not level itself back. If I then sit people in the back it will level itself back to the very lowest setting again not the correct level.

The cooled seats are like an asthmatic blowing through a straw and pretty much useless.

And to top it off the stereo just isn't very loud at all.

I really wish I hadn't bought it.

So with that runs out of the way does anyone have any suggestions for the squeak it's driving me mad.

With the suspension I'm sure I read that the car is meant to lower herself over 40 miles per hour I think this is what it's doing but not then going back to the normal position when it should do.
"The cooled seats are like an asthmatic blowing through a straw and pretty much useless.", that gave me a laugh! I agree!
Old 04-18-2019, 01:15 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2007 W221 S550 (mine), 2006 W211 E350 (family's), 2015 W205 C300 (family's)
Originally Posted by JJFelock
"The cooled seats are like an asthmatic blowing through a straw and pretty much useless.", that gave me a laugh! I agree!
Absolutely agree. My S’s “ventilated” seats are almost undetectable. But, using then vented plus heated seats is awesome. My friend’s 2015 Charger RT Plus is like sitting on a pack of ice when using the cooled seats.

As as far as the stereo being weak, that really shocked me. I’ve heard many “premium” stock systems and the H/K system is by far one of the best imo (with the correct tuning.) The bass response is incredibly good. The treble is very clear too. Lack of volume is definitely not an issue for me and I’m an 18 year old whole loves blaring my music very loudly. I use the aux input connected to my phone, and the Spotify EQ to increase the low notes (60Hz~) and lower the mids (400hz~).
Comparing the volume of the L7 setup to other’s I’ve heard it’s much louder than almost anything except the Lexus Pioneer setup in my family’s previous GS350. But the Pioneer system is much worse dynamically and is far into the spectrum of distortion when the volume starts to surpass the HK setup. The HK is louder (highest volume w/o audible distorting) than the Lexus Pioneer setup, Charger Alpine, Charger Boston Acoustics, Camaro Boston Acoustics, Mercedes Burmester (C class), Escalade Bose, XTS Bose, CTS Bose, XT5 Bose, ATS Bose, G37 Bose, Optima H/K, and more.

Sorry for rambling, didn’t realize how long it was.