S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mercedes S500 opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 06:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 BMW 328i, 2004 Mercedes C220CDI, 2006 Mercedes C270, 2007 Lexus IS250,2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2
Post Mercedes S500 opinions

Hi. I am new to the forum, so please indulge me a bit. I am a massive Mercedes fan. I had 2 C-Class Mercs and I loved both of them. I have been Mercedes free for a couple of years now and I cannot take it anymore. I am looking at 3 options currently in the 2007-2011 range.

E500
S500
CL500

I would love a SL500 but unfortunately I need a back seat. My questions is how is the reliability on these vehicles? I know the 350 variants are more reliable, but I am aching for a V8. If there are any comments on maintenance costs, please share.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2019, 12:46 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2007 W221 S550 (mine), 2006 W211 E350 (family's), 2015 W205 C300 (family's)
It really depends on size that you want. As far as the V8’s being less reliable, I don’t think that’s correct. The M272 V6 has horrific balance shaft issues that can cost way more than the engine is worth to repair. The V8s don’t have that, but they do have an idler gear that disintegrates over time causing a lot of damage. This only effects the 2007 and early 2008 models (and not every car will have it.) My 2007 S550 at 97,500 miles hasn’t had the issue but some will. From what I’ve read it usually fails around 40-60k miles and can be slightly avoided by more regular oil changes.

I personally love the S/CL and find it to be one of the best daily drivers in the world. It’s so comfortable, relaxing, and effortlessly luxurious. The features are years ahead and it’s hard thinking about driving something else in the future. The E is a great vehicle as well, and will probably be a bit more reliable as it has less kit. But, it won’t give you the same experience as the S. (I know from personal experience, my household consists of a W205 C300 AMG Line, W211 E350, and my W221 S550.)

The maintenance is a lot more for the S, no question about it. It’s been a few thousand a year to keep it tip top for me. My RWD AMG Sport Package eats tires like I do donuts (about 4 a year LOL.) I’ve had the car less than two years and have had two sets of tires on the car already and have put about 18k miles on it. Not cheap either, it had Michelin Pilot Super Sports at first, then Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S, and now Cooper RS3-G1s. The Michelin’s were by far the best for performance driving, the Coopers are my favorite for daily driving and are much cheaper with better tread wear. The pirellis were garbage. Now let’s get to some of the things I’ve had replaced, repaired, or serviced. I’ve had the trans mount replaced, leaking PCV Valve replaced, worn control arm replaced (diy), wheel repaired (cracked), A service, B service, and just recently had my amplifier die and sent it off to be repaired. Install and removal was DIY. Have had two alignments, and wheel refinished. I probably forgot some things but it’s been a pretty good amount. But I love the car so much I can forgive it. It has taught me a lot about fixing things and detecting issues. More and more things I’m doing diy and I truly enjoy it. I have to replace my air pump soon as it’s been on it’s last leg for about a year, I have a new unit from Arnott in my trunk but just haven’t gotten around to doing it.

So all in all, yes, maintenance will be pretty expensive. I think I figured it up a while ago and it was a 2-3k for my first year of ownership, not including insurance (&#128563, gas, or deprecation. But the driving experience is almost unmatched, the looks are great, and the performance is awesome. I get comments almost daily about my 13 year old S. Most people can’t belive it isn’t a new model. The design is just timeless. Good luck, and be aware when shopping. Look for maintenance records, signs of abuse, and try to swing for at least an 09 model. In 2009 you’re basically clear of major engine defects, you get real paddles instead of the tiny buttons, and you get redesigned window switches that are much easier to use than the 08 and 07 models. In 2010 it got a facelift with new LED tails, different body kits, new wheels, new headlights, and a lot of changes to infotainment that makes it more modern.

Good luck!
Old 04-18-2019, 03:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 BMW 328i, 2004 Mercedes C220CDI, 2006 Mercedes C270, 2007 Lexus IS250,2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2
Originally Posted by Beeson
It really depends on size that you want. As far as the V8’s being less reliable, I don’t think that’s correct. The M272 V6 has horrific balance shaft issues that can cost way more than the engine is worth to repair. The V8s don’t have that, but they do have an idler gear that disintegrates over time causing a lot of damage. This only effects the 2007 and early 2008 models (and not every car will have it.) My 2007 S550 at 97,500 miles hasn’t had the issue but some will. From what I’ve read it usually fails around 40-60k miles and can be slightly avoided by more regular oil changes.

I personally love the S/CL and find it to be one of the best daily drivers in the world. It’s so comfortable, relaxing, and effortlessly luxurious. The features are years ahead and it’s hard thinking about driving something else in the future. The E is a great vehicle as well, and will probably be a bit more reliable as it has less kit. But, it won’t give you the same experience as the S. (I know from personal experience, my household consists of a W205 C300 AMG Line, W211 E350, and my W221 S550.)

The maintenance is a lot more for the S, no question about it. It’s been a few thousand a year to keep it tip top for me. My RWD AMG Sport Package eats tires like I do donuts (about 4 a year LOL.) I’ve had the car less than two years and have had two sets of tires on the car already and have put about 18k miles on it. Not cheap either, it had Michelin Pilot Super Sports at first, then Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S, and now Cooper RS3-G1s. The Michelin’s were by far the best for performance driving, the Coopers are my favorite for daily driving and are much cheaper with better tread wear. The pirellis were garbage. Now let’s get to some of the things I’ve had replaced, repaired, or serviced. I’ve had the trans mount replaced, leaking PCV Valve replaced, worn control arm replaced (diy), wheel repaired (cracked), A service, B service, and just recently had my amplifier die and sent it off to be repaired. Install and removal was DIY. Have had two alignments, and wheel refinished. I probably forgot some things but it’s been a pretty good amount. But I love the car so much I can forgive it. It has taught me a lot about fixing things and detecting issues. More and more things I’m doing diy and I truly enjoy it. I have to replace my air pump soon as it’s been on it’s last leg for about a year, I have a new unit from Arnott in my trunk but just haven’t gotten around to doing it.

So all in all, yes, maintenance will be pretty expensive. I think I figured it up a while ago and it was a 2-3k for my first year of ownership, not including insurance (&#128563, gas, or deprecation. But the driving experience is almost unmatched, the looks are great, and the performance is awesome. I get comments almost daily about my 13 year old S. Most people can’t belive it isn’t a new model. The design is just timeless. Good luck, and be aware when shopping. Look for maintenance records, signs of abuse, and try to swing for at least an 09 model. In 2009 you’re basically clear of major engine defects, you get real paddles instead of the tiny buttons, and you get redesigned window switches that are much easier to use than the 08 and 07 models. In 2010 it got a facelift with new LED tails, different body kits, new wheels, new headlights, and a lot of changes to infotainment that makes it more modern.

Good luck!
Hi Beeson

Thank you for the information. I think you summed it up perfectly. If you love it you don't mind the time or the expense. It is just like my wife. I have been trying to fix her for the last decade but she still malfunctions and has the occasional meltdown (especially if I mention I am buying a V8 Mercedes). But I still love her, so I keep her around and I do not mind spending money on the occasional bracelet or pair of earrings to get her up and running again.

I am going into this with the maintenance costs in the back of my mind and I will proceed despite the mass resistance encountered from my family. I come from a Toyota family and they are famously reliable (The Toyota's,not the family). I have personally owned 5 Toyota's and I have never experienced a breakdown. My first car was a Hilux pickup and I still own a Hilux pickup. They are indestructible and the most reliable thing in my life, but all the Toyota's I have owned has the same problem. They are drab and boring. Driving them feels like kissing your sister. One feels absolutely noting when sitting behind the wheel. It is erectile dysfunction on 4 wheels. I owned a Lexus IS250 as well. An amazing car and on paper it beats the Mercedes equivalent fair and square. It is ridiculously well put together, extremely comfortable, very powerful and just as reliable as the parent company counterparts, but is it almost just as drab and boring as them as well.

You cannot choose who or what you fall in love with, and reliability should not be the only factor being taken into account. If that logic needs to prevail, I should not have chosen my wife, but I did, and as mentioned in the beginning of this post, I keep her around despite her occasional meltdowns. I love Mercedes. They are bursting with soul and passion and that makes it worth while.

Unfortunately there are no guarantees but I would like to have some peace of mind that this absolutely brilliant machine won't leave me stranded next to the highway with a massive engine or transmission failure. The only thing I can think of is to buy a vehicle with low mileage and a verifiable maintenance history. My previous 2 Mercedes never gave me any issues but both of them were sold as soon as the motor plan and warranty expired so I have not experience in out of warranty Mercedes vehicles.

Luckily I have built and maintained many cars over the years so I will also be doing most repairs DIY, so as long as the parts are not that much more expensive than your every day vehicles, I think I should be fine. It also seems to be the general consensus that, for the most part, the parts are not that expensive, so I think I will take the plunge and go for a S500 and drive straight to the jewelry store.

Thank you for the reply.
The following users liked this post:
arnottdoug (04-19-2019)