S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Command center

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes S550 4matic
Command center

Hello
i have a S550 4matic
my heat and air comes on but I can’t control the temperature settings. My navigation doesn’t doesn’t work properly and my radio stay on even when the car isn’t on it has to be cut on and off manually, backup camera doesn’t work neither. The dealership told me it was the head command center which I replaced on my own and I still have the same issues. Once I replaced the head unit was I supposed to disconnect the battery for a certain amount of time so it could reset or is there a way I can reset the system so I can resolve this problem. Can someone please help with this issue I’m having.

thanks in advance
Old 04-26-2020, 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 946 Likes on 778 Posts
S500
sounds confused.... something with CANBUS ...you'll need proper diagnostic equipment you can't just play, cars are to complicated these days
Old 04-26-2020, 10:34 AM

Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts
2007 S600
What he said. The COMAND system, radio, backup camera, climate controls, etc. are a collection of computers all communicating via a couple of data buses. You can't just replace a part like that in many cases; the part you replace will often need to be programmed to work in your car. My experience since owning an S-class... you're going to need several "tools" in your toolbox that you likely don't have.
  • Scan tool, like the iCarsoft MBII. This will let you read out DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes), and reset most. You can do some monitoring - like intake air temp, fuel trim, etc. It will NOT let you run diagnostic tests or perform actuations to test things like windows, air dampers, Airmatic or ABC, etc. It's useful to figure out what your car is complaining about and to reset codes, but not much else.
  • Laptop running Xentry/DAS, and an adapter to connect it to your car. This will let you perform a wide range of tests and actuations, and is extremely helpful in diagnosing and fixing most mechanical or electromechanical things. For example, it will let you test and reset the dashboard air control wheels, or test your Airmatic or ABC suspension. and a lot more. You can buy these setups on line, or you can talk to a couple of forum members here (like @MBENZTECH) who can help you set one up. Figuring out how to use it is another matter. It's an incredibly valuable and really a necessary tool for doing anything but the most basic service on a Mercedes. Where it falls short is when you need to replace or re-program a control unit -- and there are dozens of them. For that you need...
  • SCN coding. This requires a Mercedes-Benz login, which is part of a subscription which will cost several thousand dollars per year. If you replace, for example, your ABS control unit, the new one needs to be programmed to match your vehicle. You can't do that unless you have online access to do SCN coding. If you want to upgrade or even just re-load the software in your COMAND system, you'll need to be able to do SCN coding.
Your dealer can do all of this, including SCN coding and software upgrades. Some independent shops can, many can't. I have heard/read that you can pay a fee for someone in China or wherever to remotely log into your laptop and enter the login for you, which means you can do whatever you want until you log out - I haven't tried that.

If you're going to try to repair and maintain the car yourself, be prepared for a lot of time spent studying and learning, as well as some money and occasional (or frequent) frustration. Alternatively, find a good, friendly dealer or independent shop who won't screw you... it seems to vary widely by where you are.

Good luck! And no matter what the root cause of your problem is or the eventual outcome, be prepared to give your credit card a workout. These are amazing cars, but owning one is simply not cheap.
The following 2 users liked this post by DaleB:
BOTUS (04-26-2020), MBCO (04-26-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 95 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by DaleB
What he said. The COMAND system, radio, backup camera, climate controls, etc. are a collection of computers all communicating via a couple of data buses. You can't just replace a part like that in many cases; the part you replace will often need to be programmed to work in your car. My experience since owning an S-class... you're going to need several "tools" in your toolbox that you likely don't have.
  • Scan tool, like the iCarsoft MBII. This will let you read out DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes), and reset most. You can do some monitoring - like intake air temp, fuel trim, etc. It will NOT let you run diagnostic tests or perform actuations to test things like windows, air dampers, Airmatic or ABC, etc. It's useful to figure out what your car is complaining about and to reset codes, but not much else.
  • Laptop running Xentry/DAS, and an adapter to connect it to your car. This will let you perform a wide range of tests and actuations, and is extremely helpful in diagnosing and fixing most mechanical or electromechanical things. For example, it will let you test and reset the dashboard air control wheels, or test your Airmatic or ABC suspension. and a lot more. You can buy these setups on line, or you can talk to a couple of forum members here (like @MBENZTECH) who can help you set one up. Figuring out how to use it is another matter. It's an incredibly valuable and really a necessary tool for doing anything but the most basic service on a Mercedes. Where it falls short is when you need to replace or re-program a control unit -- and there are dozens of them. For that you need...
  • SCN coding. This requires a Mercedes-Benz login, which is part of a subscription which will cost several thousand dollars per year. If you replace, for example, your ABS control unit, the new one needs to be programmed to match your vehicle. You can't do that unless you have online access to do SCN coding. If you want to upgrade or even just re-load the software in your COMAND system, you'll need to be able to do SCN coding.
Your dealer can do all of this, including SCN coding and software upgrades. Some independent shops can, many can't. I have heard/read that you can pay a fee for someone in China or wherever to remotely log into your laptop and enter the login for you, which means you can do whatever you want until you log out - I haven't tried that.

If you're going to try to repair and maintain the car yourself, be prepared for a lot of time spent studying and learning, as well as some money and occasional (or frequent) frustration. Alternatively, find a good, friendly dealer or independent shop who won't screw you... it seems to vary widely by where you are.

Good luck! And no matter what the root cause of your problem is or the eventual outcome, be prepared to give your credit card a workout. These are amazing cars, but owning one is simply not cheap.
If one develops a good relationship with their SA, and knows exactly what needs to be done when an appointment is made, you will likely save a decent amount off of a simple SCN procedure.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:46 PM

Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts
2007 S600
Yeah... location dependent. My SA is nice enough, but I don't think I can afford to establish a good enough rerelationship with her to get me any preferential treatment.

I've run into the same situation af a couple of clubs in the past...