S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Won’t rise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 06:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S550
Won’t rise

Hi guys, i was driving my 07 s550 this weekend when I got the “car too low; sop driving” dash warning. After further inspection, I see the rear driver side is sitting low and does not rise with the rest of the vehicle. How can I determine the issue here? Compressor pump? Leak?
Old 07-06-2020, 11:20 AM

Received 223 Likes on 166 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
You are on the right track.
Could be the LR air spring bladder, the line to the spring, or the valves that control the spring.
I believe the rear height is controlled by one sensor, so the sensor is likely not at fault.
Can you raise the car (maybe 3 corners) with the dash button & engine running? If so, the pump is working. And a bad pump would show all around the car, not just LR.

Best course of action is diagnostics with a Star system. It can help pinpoint the problem. Otherwise, you may be spending time and throwing parts at it.
I have not dug into this system yet so I can't give you too many details, just the general starting point.

Keep us posted on the results.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S550
Originally Posted by kbob999
Could be the LR air spring bladder, the line to the spring, or the valves that control the spring.
I believe the rear height is controlled by one sensor, so the sensor is likely not at fault.
Can you raise the car (maybe 3 corners) with the dash button & engine running? If so, the pump is working. And a bad pump would show all around the car, not just LR.

Best course of action is diagnostics with a Star system. It can help pinpoint the problem. Otherwise, you may be spending time and throwing parts at it.
I have not dug into this system yet so I can't give you too many details, just the general starting point.

Okay; that’s good news. The other 3 corners do still raise so the pump is working. I will have it towed to my indie for diagnosing. Thank you!
Old 07-07-2020, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 658 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by kbob999

Star system does not help any in troubleshooting the issue. It will tell you the level is too low, which you can obviously see too. It could tell the compressor is bad but this is easy to check like the OP already did by your recommendation and found it good. It could tell if there is an open circuit at the valve that controls the low corner but if there is a bad solenoid then the valve would not have opened and let air out to start with.

The only way is to look at the air spring and the air tubing to it. Also the valve could be leaking, which the scanner would not know to tell about either.