S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

COMAND Bluetooth/Navigation/Presets issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S400
COMAND Bluetooth/Navigation/Presets issue

About a week ago my COMAND system started having an issue in my 2010 W221. At least I think it is COMAND related. Each time I start the car if it's been off for more than 5 min or so, all of the radio (SAT and terrestrial) are gone and the radio reverts back to 87.7 FM. Bluetooth has been greyed out in the menu and the Navigation system says "Navigation activating...please wait." Telephone says, "telephone activating." These never change no matter how long the car is running. Most times when I start the car, the time will change to Pacific Time USA (I am in Eastern). All other functions of the COMAND work and I can use both SAT and the radio, the presets won't stay set for the next trip. Nav and telephone never activate and bluetooth is always greyed out. I have tried reseting the COMAND multiple times with no change. I also changed to a new consumer battery (after the issues started) as the old one was quite old and showed weak. No codes on my Autel scanner other than an HVAC pillar code. Any other ideas other than a STAR diagnosis? I don't live near a dealer so trying that as a last resort.

I did try and reset COMAND several times to no change.

Perhaps a relay issue somewhere related to the power system?
Old 04-24-2021, 05:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 863 Likes on 721 Posts
S500
this sound more unusual than normal bugs

Is the time and date correct... the NTG3.0 car's have run past their sell by date and need a software update to fix a time date bug. I've not seen confirmation if this afflicts the NTG3.5 cars - I expect it should (other much later models have the issue too)

The fact you are seeing time issues suggest there is an issue here. In April 2019 all satellites flipped their clocks to the new round of time and date cycle they operate within. WNRO event.... If you don't live or travel within a daylight saving zone and never disconnect the battery many don't think there's a problem. But there is...

The amp in boot dies on all W221s and some of the issues u mention seem related but u have other extras... The time bit you can investigate

The NTG3.5 head unit is far less reliable than the NTG3.0 unit with harddrive failure being normal
Old 04-24-2021, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 192 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by jschandler
About a week ago my COMAND system started having an issue in my 2010 W221. At least I think it is COMAND related. Each time I start the car if it's been off for more than 5 min or so, all of the radio (SAT and terrestrial) are gone and the radio reverts back to 87.7 FM. Bluetooth has been greyed out in the menu and the Navigation system says "Navigation activating...please wait." Telephone says, "telephone activating." These never change no matter how long the car is running. Most times when I start the car, the time will change to Pacific Time USA (I am in Eastern). All other functions of the COMAND work and I can use both SAT and the radio, the presets won't stay set for the next trip. Nav and telephone never activate and bluetooth is always greyed out. I have tried reseting the COMAND multiple times with no change. I also changed to a new consumer battery (after the issues started) as the old one was quite old and showed weak. No codes on my Autel scanner other than an HVAC pillar code. Any other ideas other than a STAR diagnosis? I don't live near a dealer so trying that as a last resort.

I did try and reset COMAND several times to no change.

Perhaps a relay issue somewhere related to the power system?
You need star diagnosis for this.

It could be: bad hard drive, issues with the optical ring, can bus issues etc.

It could also be that the unit is stuck in an error state. I’ve had this happen a few times while installing stuff and turning on Comand without all components attached. I needed SDS to go in and reset Comand and the optical ring. After that it was all peachy.
The following users liked this post:
riv-stage 1 (04-27-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S400
Finally got to the dealer. Software update solved the problem.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 863 Likes on 721 Posts
S500
that won't have been the problem... if you are sensible you'll remove the comand unit hard drive and make a back up of it (and ideally rewrite to a better build hard drive) your has the NTG3.5 its drive is notorious for dying and a dealer will then ask 2k to fix it

software never part fails....