S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

2009 S550 Engine and Vehicle Noises

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
2009 S550 Engine and Vehicle Noises

Hi all. Don't post really out over here, but long time forum member in other sub-forums. We have a 2009 S550 in the family and there's a couple of issues my indy and I can't figure out.

1) Recently the engine has been really loud on startup. When it's cold and hasn't reached the normal operating temperature of about 90C, when you are accelerating and the RPMs rise (Especially once hitting 3k) the engine sounds very loud and there's like this kind of metallic somewhat high pitched rotational noise after 3k RPM when really getting on the throttle. The belt idler and pensioner have been replaced along with plugs, engine filter, and an oil change done. Both my W209 and R230 have the same M273 engine and neither are this loud or rough (Normally both very smooth engines). Only issue I've seen is a couple of times when starting up after sitting for a while the car, it would give out a small amount of blueish smoke and a burning smell then would go away, but it hasn't done this for a while now.

2) There is a clunking/thumping noise coming from under the armrest and you can feel it over bumps and uneven road (Usually comes in threes the noise). Also, if you drive over these reflectors on the road, sometimes a vibration sound even goes through the entire roof of the car. It has the 20 inch AMG wheels (Key to Cure edition the car) so not sure if those contribute to the issue. The tires were recently changed as well about 2 months ago (So don't think it's anything with the wheels since they would've seen any bends or cracks). The engine mounts have been checked and they are fine as well as the control arms look good. Only other thing I can think of is the front passenger strut was replaced about four years ago with an Arnott refurbished one, but can't remember if this problem was there before the replacement of that strut. The resonators were removed and replaced with straight pipes about five years ago.

The car barely gets driven (Maybe 100-200 miles per month) and has only about 68k miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will keep you posted if they find out anything as it's been at my indy for over a day now.

Last edited by gaazmon; 03-03-2022 at 08:33 PM.