S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Automatic high beam (Adaptive Highbeam Assist) programming possible ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 04:15 PM

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
Class S 500 M278
Automatic high beam (Adaptive Highbeam Assist) programming possible ?

Automatic high beam ( Adaptive Highbeam Assist )programming. Is it in any way possible to program / set how sensitive high beam should dazzle, and not least the time interval from dimming to high beam? I think that my high beam is very sensitive, and takes unbelievably long time before switching back to high beam, 30 seconds approximately.

Last edited by Timo Schroeder; 04-22-2022 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 867 Likes on 724 Posts
S500
in certain countries switching back to high beam is impacted by vehicle speed - its illegal to use high beam in the UK under 30mph

the whole idea of auto high beam is a dangerous joke - turn it off and do it like grown up for safe motoring - supposedly not so dangerous for others, but that's open to debate - auto high beam often
  • fails to dip and leaving you blinding other users (which may go unnoticed by you as it had been working perfectly for the last 30 mins)
  • often reacts to security lights off the road - so if on dark twisty roads it can come off high beam leaving you vulnerable, even though you're the only vehicle on the road - as its spots a street light / porch lights / security lights not even on the road
  • its can (due to laws on use in build up areas) refuse to switch to high beam on pitch black roads till you take your life in your hand and accelerate "blind" up to above 40 mph - especially silly in UK at T junctions as reflective road signs reflect crazy light as you slow leaving you unable to see as you turn out and refusing to respond...

Last edited by BOTUS; 04-23-2022 at 07:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Timo Schroeder (04-23-2022)
Old 04-23-2022, 08:25 AM

Class S 500 M278
Originally Posted by BOTUS
in certain countries switching back to high beam is impacted by vehicle speed - its illegal to use high beam in the UK under 30mph

the whole idea of auto high beam is a dangerous joke - turn it off and do it like grown up for safe motoring - supposedly not so dangerous for others, but that's open to debate - auto high beam often
  • fails to dip and leaving you blinding other users (which may go unnoticed by you as it had been working perfectly for the last 30 mins)
  • often reacts to security lights off the road - so if on dark twisty roads it can come off high beam leaving you vulnerable, even though you're the only vehicle on the road - as its spots a street light / porch lights / security lights not even on the road
  • its can (due to laws on use in build up areas) refuse to switch to high beam on pitch black roads till you take your life in your hand and accelerate "blind" up to above 40 mph - especially silly in UK at T junctions as reflective road signs reflect crazy light as you slow leaving you unable to see as you turn out and refusing to respond...

Thanks, it's only at low speed, and twisty roads. I've was just wondering Why. Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-23-2022, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
I had it on a BM, it was uncanny how well judged it was to dip for cars you come up behind and never forgot to dip - but point three was really dangerous an I couldn't live with it

on a VW point one and two happened all the time

not sure if related but speed limits are going crazy - all dropping down in UK and NL - maybe the VW was impacted by out of date Sat Nav map speed limits?
Old 04-23-2022, 03:14 PM

Class S 500 M278
Originally Posted by BOTUS
I had it on a BM, it was uncanny how well judged it was to dip for cars you come up behind and never forgot to dip - but point three was really dangerous an I couldn't live with it

on a VW point one and two happened all the time

not sure if related but speed limits are going crazy - all dropping down in UK and NL - maybe the VW was impacted by out of date Sat Nav map speed limits?
I don't know, but I find the setup by Mercedes quite funny, but typically Mercedes. We also have a 5 years old Ford Focus ST whit AHA and it's working absolutely perfect.
Old 04-25-2022, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 887 Likes on 637 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Timo Schroeder
I don't know, but I find the setup by Mercedes quite funny, but typically Mercedes. We also have a 5 years old Ford Focus ST whit AHA and it's working absolutely perfect.
In my 2010 E550 the adaptive lights work perfectly. Could not wish for better lights.

the Hi/Lo switch is very sensitive as it will switch to Lo beams from very far distance and especially driving behind someone it will keep Lo beams on as long as you can see the red tail lights.

But here is where the adaptive light function steps in. The Lo beams adjust to far out when the car in front is in long distance. It keeps Lo beams on without switching to Hi beams until the red tail lights in front are gone. These Lo beams adapted to long distance are better than most cars Hi beams I have driven.

There are some people in this forum that think the adaptive lights is just the switching between Lo and Hi beams. This is not the case.

Adaptive light is the distance adaptation with the Lo beams that my E550 has. My other car, the 2013 S550 does not have this adaptation function though the manual in the car explains it does.

Don’t know if there is a law preventing adaptive lights but oddly in my 2010 E550 I have it, like I had it in the 2011 E350 that I first had.

Last edited by Arrie; 04-25-2022 at 12:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Timo Schroeder (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 01:08 PM

Class S 500 M278
Originally Posted by Arrie
In my 2010 E550 the adaptive lights work perfectly. Could not wish for better lights.

the Hi/Lo switch is very sensitive as it will switch to Lo beams from very far distance and especially driving behind someone it will keep Lo beams on as long as you can see the red tail lights.

But here is where the adaptive light function steps in. The Lo beams adjust to far out when the car in front is in long distance. It keeps Lo beams on without switching to Hi beams until the red tail lights in front are gone. These Lo beams adapted to long distance are better than most cars Hi beams I have driven.

There are some people in this forum that think the adaptive lights is just the switching between Lo and Hi beams. This is not the case.

Adaptive light is the distance adaptation with the Lo beams that my E550 has. My other car, the 2013 S550 does not have this adaptation function though the manual in the car explains it does.

Don’t know if there is a law preventing adaptive lights but oddly in my 2010 E550 I have it, like I had it in the 2011 E350 that I first had.
Thanks for your reply, it's exactly what I discovered.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
the w221 never had adaptive lights as we think of them today -

early cars move the beam left and right with the steering to better see around corners
then we get high beam assist on later cars - the points I made were in response to these early systems - and I think what the OP was referring too
adaptive LEDs lights evolved after the 221 ended production and are a planet wasting unnecessary idea, designed to make cars too expensive to repair

Last edited by BOTUS; 04-25-2022 at 01:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BOTUS:
Senecat (04-25-2022), Timo Schroeder (04-26-2022)