S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Hard knock from from end.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 03:22 PM

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
Hard knock from from end.

Guys, help.
2008 s550 4 matic.
Ever since I bough it, driver side front corner would knock going over big bums, even more so under braking.

Since then I have changed both front air struts OEM. Front forward facing control arms.
Since then it got considerably better. MB mechanic says all ball joints are good and nothing is worn out.
Still when I go over certain abrupt bumps I hear the noise. A lot less but its still there and often under braking. Noise is there when I slam the brakes when trying to duplicate noise.

Today I new noise is coming and going when taping brakes, like a loose control arm. But not always.

Only thing left is upper control arm and lower rear facing control arm. Car tracks well and doesnt wonder.

Im gonna schedule an MB appointment and have them look it over, change whatever they tell me to and align.

Any clues before that?

Thank you!
Old 08-16-2022, 04:05 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
2010 CL550
Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Guys, help.
2008 s550 4 matic.
Ever since I bough it, driver side front corner would knock going over big bums, even more so under braking.

Since then I have changed both front air struts OEM. Front forward facing control arms.
Since then it got considerably better. MB mechanic says all ball joints are good and nothing is worn out.
Still when I go over certain abrupt bumps I hear the noise. A lot less but its still there and often under braking. Noise is there when I slam the brakes when trying to duplicate noise.

Today I new noise is coming and going when taping brakes, like a loose control arm. But not always.

Only thing left is upper control arm and lower rear facing control arm. Car tracks well and doesnt wonder.

Im gonna schedule an MB appointment and have them look it over, change whatever they tell me to and align.

Any clues before that?

Thank you!
could also be intermediate axle shaft bearing. Easy to check, if you can move the cv axle by hand the bearing is shot.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 909 Likes on 754 Posts
S500
(the correct name for something dresses do in the USA world) ARB bushes cause significant knocking on lots of cars as the main bushes get hard and shrink with age, thus allowing the arm to rattle about and knock.. on the 221 early cars came back to glue the bushes to the arm to stop noises

later arms have the bushed bonded on and to replace, u r supposed to by a whole arm. After market bushes to try at home on ebay
Old 08-16-2022, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by COUPCONNOISSEUR
could also be intermediate axle shaft bearing. Easy to check, if you can move the cv axle by hand the bearing is shot.
https://youtu.be/r_ZKT_2kIBM
Thank you. I will check it out. Also there are no vibrations from 0-100 MPH. So I assume that front shaft is ok.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by BOTUS
(the correct name for something dresses do in the USA world) ARB bushes cause significant knocking on lots of cars as the main bushes get hard and shrink with age, thus allowing the arm to rattle about and knock.. on the 221 early cars came back to glue the bushes to the arm to stop noises

later arms have the bushed bonded on and to replace, u r supposed to by a whole arm. After market bushes to try at home on ebay
Thank You. So far everything replaced was using new MB parts.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:09 PM

Received 168 Likes on 128 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic
Check the sway bar links.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:21 AM

Thank you, will do.

Trending Topics

Old 08-17-2022, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 921 Likes on 655 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Guys, help.
2008 s550 4 matic.

Any clues before that?

Thank you!
Why did you change the forward lower control arms. The rearward are the ones that carry the weight of the car and wear out. Of course, over time they all go and it is not lost money to change them out but for fixing the problem a better chance is with the rearward lower control arms.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Arrie
Why did you change the forward lower control arms. The rearward are the ones that carry the weight of the car and wear out. Of course, over time they all go and it is not lost money to change them out but for fixing the problem a better chance is with the rearward lower control arms.
Got it. Thank You.
Ill have it looked at.