S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

W221 Reliability, Which Model to Buy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 03:55 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 ML320, 2005 E320 CDI
W221 Reliability, Which Model to Buy

Let me start by saying I have searched, extensively, in this forum and read every post I can find. I still have a few questions and clarifications I need answered.

I had a W221 2007 S550 4Matic a few years ago that I bought for $11K and was totaled (flooded) and I got $14K for. I put roughly 100K miles on it in 3 or 4 years. Loved it, but toward the end I was having a shifting issue (which, based on research may have been the front drive shaft). I couldn't find a local shop to work on it as it was an expensive trans, so I did it myself and kept driving it. It was totaled before I could see if I truly fixed it. Other than that, it was reliable. Normal maintenance and it was a tank.

My Ex Wife and I bought a W211 2005 CDI (Roughly 10 years ago) after months of research and last month I was pushed under a tractor trailer in it. Totaled. Was the last thing from the divorce so not totally upset it is gone. But it was paid off and solid. 315K miles and ran like a top. So now I need to find another CDI or move into an S550.

I loved my W221 S550 and I miss it. I think of it fondly and now that I need another car, I am considering another S550. I am not above an ML or another E instead, but unless otherwise stated I believe an S550 is in my future.
  • From what I gather, 2007 was a sketchy year on motors, but 2008-2011 were safe for NA.
  • While I never had issues (that I am aware of) with the 4Matic, I should stay away. I have a truck regardless so it isn't "needed". Is 4Matic safe or not? Is there really a consensus?
  • 2010 & 2011 are the safe NA years and most reliable?
  • Any issues with 2007-2009 outside "facelift" and the earlier issues.
  • I am looking at S550 - what about S600? Reliability? I heard ABC is a problem but that is mainly on S63 (Not what I want)
What are other issues I need look out for? Things I should look for? Options I might want?

As I recall, Airmatic can need replaced (that's consumable, frankly). I don't think I saw other major issues folks mentioned. I did see 2012+ Direct Injection and possible engine scoring. Also Turbos are not cheap. I plan to maintain it, but drive it a lot of miles. I am mostly DIY. The pano roof is fixable but can creak (I didn't experience this).

I had the rear reclining seats, back fridge, rear shade, pano, and Bi-Xenon headlights (not moving as I recall).
I did not have lane assist, night vision or auto cruise control. Worth the extra to find??

Also, in the effort to be transparent, I have a new set of Wheels and Tires from my old S550, MidCity Remote Start, and Amp/Subwoofer for the rear. Also a set of LED TailLights. So while I WILL go with another E or ML, I feel like I prefer an S, and have parts I can use if I buy one.

Sincerely appreciate the help and time in here. Thank you in advance!
The following 2 users liked this post by boardboy330:
midcityeng (09-09-2022), tracvision (03-04-2024)
Old 09-10-2022, 04:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 780 Likes on 658 Posts
S500
I have a long-wheel base w221 with the v8 Petrol and nearly all the toys (only missing the pano roof (thank goodness, no creaks groans and leaks), the fridge (thank goodness, they have enough issues keeping the volts up without that) or the Lingatronic, (that never worked)

my father has a w211, its nicer drive with comfier seats, and its size and weight means you can drive it and enjoy throwing it around like a baby go kart

she has a Ford Focus, its many times better than either - its fun to drive I can do 500 miles and get out with out needing an osteopath that you need on the 211 or indeed a massage and a week off work on the 221, the interior ambience of my heavily upgraded spec 221 does feel special - but then you drive it and I'd rather be in a focus with no trim

If a merc fan - I suspect toys all in 211 with the V8 would have some merit
The following users liked this post:
boardboy330 (09-10-2022)
Old 09-10-2022, 05:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 587 Likes on 405 Posts
04 E55 AMG (totaled), 07 S550 4Matic, 14 E63S
I had a long path to get to my S550 (and posted the story) but I liked my E55 so much that I thought it would be a good idea to pick up an S as a daily driver (also winter car). Ended up with an 07 4Matic with 79k though it is fairly low optioned. At first I wanted everything but after reading I realized half the stuff A) I wouldn't really use that much B) doesn't even work great as new and C) just adds to the complexity of the car, with the number of modules, wiring, etc. I also like my base 18" wheels because they actually ride reasonably and tires aren't as insanely priced. For the engine, at the time I was satisfied that my engine was out of the date range for M273 issues (and service history showed that it had some of the problem areas addressed previously). For the number of miles you do, HANDS DOWN M273 over a later M278 car.

As far as 4Matic, this one is easy. If you don't need it, don't get it. I need it for my winters here in New England.

In my view, if you are asking about reliability in the first place, I'd just stay away from a V12 car with ABC. One of those (S600/S65) is on my bucket list but I'm not ready for that yet.

I've had this S550 for ~10 months and almost 10k. Drove the family down the east coast not long after I bought it and it was great. I actually like the seats (base seats). For road trips they are the most comfortable I've ever had. The E55 had good seats, too, but a little more butt pain. Maybe the higher line seats are worse somehow.
Old 09-10-2022, 06:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
seats are strange and Germans seem to make very odd ones

my father had a W124 with the orthopedic seats and sport suspension - the original owner never got on with the car and paid to go back to std suspension (longer, softer springs and weaker dampers) then got rid of the car when that didn't cure the problem, my father couldn't get on with seats and indeed they were flat unsupportive and strange, but not terrible

Drove a W203 loan car - it had seats that reminded me of the W124 seats, flat, an utter joke for a motor car with zero lateral support - but they were comfortable - indeed had it been an Auto I'd have swapped it for my S class as it was a much better drive

Both were unlike my dynamic multi contour always wrong S class seats, with 9 million lumbar points of adjustment - none of which are even close to remotely normal, then separate adjustable side bolsters for squab and backrest and adjustable shoulder support . The issues and the themes will come out below... I don' know why - one might think as they are tall - but they aren't, I go to our German offices a fair bit and they are mostly a fair bit smaller than me (6'3"). But they ALL have the lumber 3 to 5" too high up the chair and far too much (more like the torture scene in the Bond movie - the world is not enough), then they have NO support were you need it. With no way to get the lumbar support down the 4" you need

My father's W211 has seats that look normal and are vastly better than my S class. But they are all wrong (like all german cars) with the wrong lumbar support in the wrong places

My 335d seats were are all wrong with very little lumbar support - on a drive of more than 20 minutes you'd get tired, and an hour in you'll have back ache for a week

Current Golf, is an utter nightmare, shoulder cramps and lower back ache just like the S class, one has to recline the seat back to stop the headrest trying to snap your neck off, and to reduce shoulder cramping

My first Vauxhall Omega seats were bearable, but had the wrong lumbar support in the wrong places much like BMWs

My second facelift Vauxhall Omega was far worse and had the wrong lumbar support in the wrong places and I had issues with my back (see second picture below)

Volvo cheap models are a nightmare with the same faults as German cars, higher spec one have comfy seats that are totally different

Fiat never had an issue

Ford never an issue ever - even one's built in germany ?????

Last edited by BOTUS; 09-10-2022 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-10-2022, 10:11 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 ML320, 2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by BOTUS
I have a long-wheel base w221 with the v8 Petrol and nearly all the toys (only missing the pano roof (thank goodness, no creaks groans and leaks), the fridge (thank goodness, they have enough issues keeping the volts up without that) or the Lingatronic, (that never worked)

my father has a w211, its nicer drive with comfier seats, and its size and weight means you can drive it and enjoy throwing it around like a baby go kart

I was considering the E350 based on MPG and reliability if the S wasn't doable. I considered the E550 (from 2008 to 2016 eras) as I had a 2016 E250 4Matic that she took in the divorce. I liked it, but it was gutless. I will consider the V8s a little heavier now, thank you for your input.

Originally Posted by kevm14
I had a long path to get to my S550 (and posted the story) but I liked my E55 so much that I thought it would be a good idea to pick up an S as a daily driver (also winter car). Ended up with an 07 4Matic with 79k though it is fairly low optioned. At first I wanted everything but after reading I realized half the stuff A) I wouldn't really use that much B) doesn't even work great as new and C) just adds to the complexity of the car, with the number of modules, wiring, etc. I also like my base 18" wheels because they actually ride reasonably and tires aren't as insanely priced. For the engine, at the time I was satisfied that my engine was out of the date range for M273 issues (and service history showed that it had some of the problem areas addressed previously). For the number of miles you do, HANDS DOWN M273 over a later M278 car.

As far as 4Matic, this one is easy. If you don't need it, don't get it. I need it for my winters here in New England.

In my view, if you are asking about reliability in the first place, I'd just stay away from a V12 car with ABC. One of those (S600/S65) is on my bucket list but I'm not ready for that yet.

I've had this S550 for ~10 months and almost 10k. Drove the family down the east coast not long after I bought it and it was great. I actually like the seats (base seats). For road trips they are the most comfortable I've ever had. The E55 had good seats, too, but a little more butt pain. Maybe the higher line seats are worse somehow.
I know all about it, because I read most of your posts lol They were incredibly helpful. I am in MD and while I don't "need" 4Matic, I did like it. But frankly, I rarely took the car when it would snow, I took my F250 instead. So, I agree with you, I don't "need" it and will try to stay away. I like my W211 CDI. It's got new coilovers and completely new suspension. 18" wheels, new turbo, bigger intercooler, tuned. I know what you mean. No E55 but heck of a lot of fun to drive. Honestly, if it is "totaled" by insurance I am not 100% sure I won't try to buy it back and use it as a DD instead.

I appreciate your input and helpfulness!

seats are strange and Germans seem to make very odd ones

My father's W211 has seats that look normal and are vastly better than my S class. But they are all wrong (like all german cars) with the wrong lumbar support in the wrong places
Ford never an issue ever - even one's built in germany ?????
I enjoyed the S and E seats, differently. I am 6'3" and the S has more leg room for me than the E so longer trips are more comfortable, but honestly I drive 30 minutes to work now and home. I rarely go see my family in NY so once every 6 months isn't enough of a reason to get the bigger car. I appreciate the input!
Old 09-10-2022, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
which W211 CDI ?

they don't meet UK central London emission standards any more - ULEZ - so have to pay $15 fine everyday you go past a certain boundary - most European cities adopting it

Europe had a
270 CDI in line 5 cyl with 177 BHP
280 CDI 3 ltr v6 with 190 BHP
320 CDI same 3ltr v6 engine but with different ancillaries like turbo and 204BHP

I got a brabus tuning box cheap second-hand (once sold by main merc dealers with full vehicle warranty still intact - for mad money $1000) it sits between various sensors and winds it up, makes a massive difference - makes about 230bhp (so uplift of 30 BHP and 50 lbs ft more torque) aside from the throttle mapping I don't like (too much round town) its MPG improved if you drive slow, and a boot full of throttle makes it safe to rip past slow traffic now. But wow these v6 tractors - 20lbs of nails in a cement mixer sounds more refined.

Last edited by BOTUS; 09-10-2022 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-10-2022, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The E55 feels tight (but comfortable) like my CTS-V did, although the packaging is more efficient than what GM did on the CTS. The S (particularly the standard LWB that the US got) is a classic large sedan, which I've always loved.
Old 09-10-2022, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

which W211 CDI ?

they don't meet UK central London emission standards any more - ULEZ - so have to pay $15 fine everyday you go past a certain boundary - most European cities adopting it

Europe had a
270 CDI in line 5 cyl with 177 BHP
280 CDI 3 ltr v6 with 190 BHP
320 CDI same 3ltr v6 engine but with different ancillaries like turbo and 204BHP
I assume he's talking about this one: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ake-road-test/

Looks like the OM648.
BOTUS (09-10-2022)
Old 09-10-2022, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
thanks for posting - that's the colour of my father's one - and with the brabus box his 280CDI makes a fair bit more grunt that the one they have in the article - as I say its the same engine but the 280 got a lower state of tune. With the box just nail the throttle from stationary and it'll light up both tyres and launch well before the electronics know how to interfere - before nothing happened
Old 09-10-2022, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185507329576

how to fit

http://www.zen104526.zen.co.uk/brabus/D6%20Fitting.pdf

they wound it up even more on the 350CDIs

219-736-00 Brabus Eco PowerXtra D6 (III) Tuning Box for Mercedes CLS350CDI W219 +48PS in power Basis CLS 320 CDI; 200 kW (272 PS) 590 Nm Retails 1590 Euro +VAT!

BRABUS ECO PowerXtra ® CDI
Due to an even wider torque range, a driving style with early speed changes and less shifting effort is possible. That means More torque = less revolutions per minute! Less revolutions per minute = less consumption!
The BRABUS ECO PowerXtra® label stands for powerful and durable performance tuning for Mercedes CDI models, covered by the unique BRABUS Tuning Warranty® of three years up to 100,000 kilometers (see BRABUS warranty conditions as of June 2013).

Advantages at one glance:
• Plug and Play. Fast, simple assembly through plug system
• Extensive safety features for the protection of the engine and drive train
• Considerably improved driving dynamics
• No change in the emissions rating and CO2 emission
• Can be combined with Diesel particle filters and of course supplied with German TÜV certificate
• Integration into the vehicle‘s CAN-Bus!
• Control of extra power through transmission program (depending on version)
• 3 Years BRABUS Tuning Warranty®* incl.(For EU area of applicability. In accordance with June 2013 warranty provisions.Warranty also applies to the drive train.)

Depending on the specific model in question the BRABUS ECO PowerXtra® performance kits produce up to 43 kW / 58 hp more power and up to 80 Nm more torque (figure refers to the Mercedes-Benz E 350 BlueTec / C 350 CDI with BRABUS ECO PowerXtra® D6 S/(III) ).

Product Code: 219-736-00

Last edited by BOTUS; 09-10-2022 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-10-2022, 12:33 PM

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts
2014 S550, 2007 S600

she has a Ford Focus, its many times better than either - its fun to drive I can do 500 miles and get out with out needing an osteopath that you need on the 211 or indeed a massage and a week off work on the 221, the interior ambience of my heavily upgraded spec 221 does feel special - but then you drive it and I'd rather be in a focus with no trim

Can I ask, and this is genuine and not attacking, but why do you still own a W221? You have a wealth of knowledge and have extremely valuable posts but complain constantly about this car. Like incessantly. Why would you continue to own a car you clearly do not like? It doesn't compute.
Old 09-10-2022, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
Originally Posted by joeshannon095
Can I ask, and this is genuine and not attacking, but why do you still own a W221? You have a wealth of knowledge and have extremely valuable posts but complain constantly about this car. Like incessantly. Why would you continue to own a car you clearly do not like? It doesn't compute.
good question -

I loved my first Omega (these are European rear drive GM cars), the first one had a BMW 2.5ltr 6 pot iron block tractor engine from the factory. Once chipped it was great - 5 years on I moved to a facelift 3 ltr petrol and it was a big disappointment - so slow and no fun, the power was like all German petrol cars - all the way above 4k rpm, only designed to attack / terrorise the autobahns. Actually this last one was good once you go the other side of 120mph. I had these two for 10 years. Almost nothing played up on either

Didn't need too, but wanted something better and decided I wanted a powerful rear drive car with all the toys that would last forever. But as I hardly use a car, 3k miles a year, I should get something smaller. Of course nothing rear drive in the small car market, and most have few toys or a real autobox. Then I was a bit naive and hadn't realised the last good cars were those designed before 2005 - everything since is a shorter and shorter lifecycle disaster, exclusively designed to get us all in to leasing a vehicle - to combat so much of the deliberately built in reliability problems

I went with a 3 series twin turbo all the toys 335d, it had active cruise that makes the system in the 221 S class look like the joke it is - except it bailed out below 15mph and thus can't be left on in traffic - one of only three BMWs with active cruise in the UK at the time - but the handling was disgusting so you couldn't enjoy it. In part due to heavy steering and run flat tyres - these are so wayward and dangerous it has to be felt to be believed. It had no benefits of rear drive, as the power came in so late after you tried to make it dance on the pedal it was just nasty. And every time you parked it, each panel had a new dent from the filth that live in the UK and have no care over others property.

It was also a bit small inside - and the S seemed to fit the bill, as it was faster, more toys, better made, more space. I didn't know the 70's last forever build was a distant dream - nor appreciated the 600kg of lard would stop it being fun to throw around - that said - it starts, I do like the interior ambience and when the gearbox hasn't fallen asleep I like the grunt (and the distronic plus cruise control round town) - I bitterly regret the 18" wheels - utterly ruined the ride comfort and handling - that shouldn't makes sense but its how the car drives now. Looks so much better - but drives 50% worse

But now we get the problem of moving it on - I don't want to entertain a number of car thieves irritating me and crashing it on a test drive - UK road vehicle tax is circa $800 a year - insurance for these is serious money - petrol is 7 dollars a gallon - and so no one would take it off my hands - and I'd feel guilty inflicting it upon others - and yet in other ways I think why after I have I've ploughed $40K on it, should I let someone pick it up for $1000

My father died nearly a year ago and so his car is sitting there doing nothing - if it had active cruise and not a cement mixer under the bonnet, and I'd get something for mine, it would make lots of sense to use that....

I actually prefer playing with motorbikes - but I have two of these I need to shift (as the other two I bought before are much better) - the adage that toys don't make you happy mostly apply

More than 5 years back, I test drove a mint 12k mile 3ltr turbo petrol 6 pot 530e with all the toys including side facing cameras and all - but the S had dropped 10k in two years and the 5 series only had basic cruise. The sales guy thought I was mad - but within 200 yards of leaving the dealership in the S class I hit stop start traffic - so I nudged the stalk up and left the car to drive itself home

I helped my mate spec a 530e to death (the later 4 pot 2ltr one), I made him put all the right toys on it (over 100k US$) - and I was supposed to buy that off him when the lease was up - but he got in an argument over how BM treat customers when he got a puncture - on those stupid run flats - and he gave it back - so I missed out

Last edited by BOTUS; 09-10-2022 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-10-2022, 03:15 PM

Received 268 Likes on 186 Posts
2007 S600, 2007 Chrysler 300 SRT8, 2000 C5 Corvette, and 2017 Mustang GT, and just got a 2023 300C
I have a 2007 S600. I love it. I am willing to pay for the expensive maintenance and I am very happy with it. It took some getting used to because of 24 spark plugs and two coil packs but I love the V12. ABC requires regular filter and fluid changes using the green pentocin fluid, but is otherwise very good. I would buy another one in a heart-beat especially a 2015 S600 or later. If I could afford it, I might step up to a 2 door coupe S65 but now we are talking expensive....
WHPH28 (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 203 Likes on 127 Posts
Depends on the weather
Originally Posted by vettebk
I have a 2007 S600. I love it. I am willing to pay for the expensive maintenance and I am very happy with it. It took some getting used to because of 24 spark plugs and two coil packs but I love the V12. ABC requires regular filter and fluid changes using the green pentocin fluid, but is otherwise very good. I would buy another one in a heart-beat especially a 2015 S600 or later. If I could afford it, I might step up to a 2 door coupe S65 but now we are talking expensive....
Love mine and at 12 years old always turns heads. Still torn about the w222 s65 but the body lines of the W221 seem so much better to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by WHPH28:
MBCO (09-15-2022), vettebk (09-13-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 01:54 AM

Received 154 Likes on 121 Posts
2007 SL550 & 2012 S550 4matic
Buy the best car available that checks all important boxes like: Maintenance history records; feature and options you like and may or may not need (4matic etc). No used car especially Mercedes will be free of costs to get it right which equates to catching up on deferred maintenance under prior ownership.
I have owned MB for 40+ years, all have had quirkinesses and maintenance bills. But when you drive them you notice the quiet and safety built in. It’s worth it even if you have to pay more.
My 2012 w221 4matic with m275TT is a very reliable DD. No major issues whatsoever 117k miles. Changed motor mounts and transmission mount replaced speed sensor that’s it.
My SL has ABC, it’s fantastic, wished I had it on my Sclass, but airmatic is really comfortable and no problems.
If you can diagnose and wrench, these cars are cheap to own, Toyota cheap maybe not, but these aren’t Camrys either.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You mean M278. M275 is the V12 and never came in 4Matic...just a nit so new folks don't get confused.