S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Best headlight bulb for an 08 S550 w/bi-xenon?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 11:08 AM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
2008 S550
Best headlight bulb for an 08 S550 w/bi-xenon?

I am getting the message "Right hand dipped beam" om the dash and my passenger headlight is out. My data card says I have Bi-xenon headlights with cornering function. Figure I should get a pair of lights, but what are the best/good ones I can get on Rockauto? I've never changed a xenon headlight but have seen warnings about the danger and high voltage. TIA.
Old 09-23-2022, 06:23 AM

Received 376 Likes on 231 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
I changed mine recently. I bought Phillips Xenon bulbs. I also replaced every other bulb I could access, as they are cheap, and the I'd rather just do them all rather than have them go out one by one over time. I read mixed reviews about buying the 'premium' xenon bulbs. Most reviews I saw didn't find much difference over the regular bulbs. I'm happy with the regular Phillips bulbs so far. I was freaked out about getting shocked by the high voltage, but in the end it was okay. Just make sure the key is nowhere near the car, and remove the battery connection to the rear battery to make sure the system is dead. Some people seem to be able to access the Xenon from the top. I personally could not, and I think you'd need hands the size of a child to do so. By removing the wheel well liners, you have easy access.

I could not access either front turn signal bulb...can anyone tell me how I can access these bulbs? Also, I think the parking light on the driver side could not be accessed, so same question there.

BTW, if you do the cornering bulbs, they are easy to take out, and VERY hard to get back in. I couldn't do it solidly, and neither could my Mercedes dealer tech. They are in there okay, and don't move around, but they are not clipped in like from the factory. And, the wire casing just crumbled in my hands when moved. I had to tape up the wires with electrical tape, and according to my dealer, the only way to replace the wires is by buying a new complete headlamp unit. So be careful there.