S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

COMAND Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 S63
COMAND Issue

Hi All,

I have an 08 S63 with three interesting (maybe unrelated) audio issues I’m looking for some help on.

1.) Jumpy COMAND - using the wheel, up/down movements keep moving on their own back to center. For example if I want to change the audio source it’s a nudge up to audio and click to open the drop down. However, after clicking the system automatically moves down to the center screen before I can select anything. Same thing happens across many menus. I thought perhaps this was an issue with the controller so I ordered a used one on eBay, hooked it up and getting same Result. Any leads?

2.) XM Acquiring signal / static in audio system. I have a feeling these two are related. XM never gets off of the “acquiring signal” mode. Static is random but pretty bad. I’m wondering if there was water ingress in the roof “shark fin” antenna? I’m hoping this is not the amp, but wondering if any leads before buying parts.

thanks!
Old 01-26-2023, 11:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,438 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by redline
I’m wondering if there was water ingress in the roof “shark fin” antenna? I’m hoping this is not the amp, but wondering if any leads before buying parts.
Have someone pull codes using Xentry (MB diagnostics).
Old 01-26-2023, 03:13 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
All Bluetec: 2015 GL350, 2012 S350, 2011 E350
Originally Posted by redline
Hi All,

I have an 08 S63 with three interesting (maybe unrelated) audio issues I’m looking for some help on.

1.) Jumpy COMAND - using the wheel, up/down movements keep moving on their own back to center. For example if I want to change the audio source it’s a nudge up to audio and click to open the drop down. However, after clicking the system automatically moves down to the center screen before I can select anything. Same thing happens across many menus. I thought perhaps this was an issue with the controller so I ordered a used one on eBay, hooked it up and getting same Result. Any leads?

2.) XM Acquiring signal / static in audio system. I have a feeling these two are related. XM never gets off of the “acquiring signal” mode. Static is random but pretty bad. I’m wondering if there was water ingress in the roof “shark fin” antenna? I’m hoping this is not the amp, but wondering if any leads before buying parts.

thanks!
What's number three? Does the cd changer play discs? Does the FM tuner work and tune stations properly?
Old 01-27-2023, 12:23 AM

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
2007 S550
Originally Posted by argon3030
What's number three? Does the cd changer play discs? Does the FM tuner work and tune stations properly?
3.) If someone yells "Stop!", goes limp, taps out, the fight is over.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shadly1:
argon3030 (01-27-2023), WRC-LVR (01-28-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 11:27 AM

2008 S63
Sorry took so long to respond! So item 3.) I grouped with item 2.) … it’s the static in the system. I started by trying to diagnose if the COMAND wheel itself had gone bad by swapping with another part. No success there. I have been doing some additional research and have narrowed these items down to two potential areas. One, one of the fiber optic modules has gone bad, which apparently in a networked system can cause all sort of irradiated behavior. Have ordered loop tool to see if I can isolate. Or, water ingress into the shark fin antenna. On the antenna, looks like the part is cheap but I’d have to go in via the headliner and that doesn’t look easy. Will report back after my loop tool comes and I can see if isolating the modules yields results. Thanks,.. and open to other suggestions/expertise.
Old 02-09-2023, 12:48 AM

2008 S63
Update: replaced VCM and fixed everything except for the XM. Still getting the “acquiring signal” message. Could be the sat radio module or the antenna.