S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Why a Rough vibration coming from middle of car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 900 Likes on 748 Posts
S500
I think the garage are a bunch of robbing crooks or you bought a car that shouldn't be on the road... if it needed that level of work why would anyone buy it...

try a std set of wheel and tyres.... then if wrong whist it looks normal go to a garage that is less mad than even a main dealer on a mission to empty your wallet
Old 02-06-2023, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 s550
Originally Posted by BOTUS
I think the garage are a bunch of robbing crooks or you bought a car that shouldn't be on the road... if it needed that level of work why would anyone buy it...

try a std set of wheel and tyres.... then if wrong whist it looks normal go to a garage that is less mad than even a main dealer on a mission to empty your wallet
the only problem is Finding a std set of wheels. I looked on market place, craigslist, and pull a part junk yard and can't find them.

Plus how do i know if a certain set of benz wheels will fit by specific benz
Old 02-06-2023, 09:04 PM

Received 169 Likes on 130 Posts
2007 SL550 & 2012 S550 4matic
Hey restart, you could source a set o tires from a forum member who may have 2 sets of wheels and tires (like me, Summer and Winter). If you live in AZ, I would loan you a set.
You should complete your profile to include your location, might help you find a new mechanic too.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:52 PM

2007 s550
Originally Posted by MBCO
Hey restart, you could source a set o tires from a forum member who may have 2 sets of wheels and tires (like me, Summer and Winter). If you live in AZ, I would loan you a set.
You should complete your profile to include your location, might help you find a new mechanic too.
Unfortunately I live in the not so special state Alabama. 😕 (I live in a pretty big city luckily, AL isn't all farms and cotton field)
Could you clue me in on what the exact measurements are for the Standard wheels? What should I type into search bars to help narrow down the results?

Thanks so much to everyone who's helped so far, I'm determined to fix this issue.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 920 Likes on 654 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by restartbutton
So here's a picture of the diagnosis sheet I got from the mechanic (forgot to mention ESP light came on the morning I dropped it off, just my luck). ...I guess I'm about to try and get the tires dynamically balanced... 😕

My original math was wrong. That's way over $10k in repairs... I think I bought a lemon, just great. 🍋
Of this list of items the motor and trans mounts and cam caps (assume cam position sensors) are the ones that can cause vibration.

Returning to the wheels. Now I see you get vibration between 40-80 mph and perhaps this is not when you press on the pedal?

The wheels you have you mention are expensive and good wheels but are they center aligned to the hub? If not, chances are no balancing of any kind will fix the vibration. You need to get centering rings installed for centering the wheels correctly to the hub. They may tell you the conical lug bolts will do the trick but in my 2010 E550 they did not. Had to use centering rings on the aftermarket rims. That did the trick after 4 attempts to balance the tires/wheels.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:58 AM

2007 s550
Originally Posted by Arrie
Of this list of items the motor and trans mounts and cam caps (assume cam position sensors) are the ones that can cause vibration.

Returning to the wheels. Now I see you get vibration between 40-80 mph and perhaps this is not when you press on the pedal?

The wheels you have you mention are expensive and good wheels but are they center aligned to the hub? If not, chances are no balancing of any kind will fix the vibration. You need to get centering rings installed for centering the wheels correctly to the hub. They may tell you the conical lug bolts will do the trick but in my 2010 E550 they did not. Had to use centering rings on the aftermarket rims. That did the trick after 4 attempts to balance the tires/wheels.
I think you misunderstood my post? The vibration only occurs when I am pressing the gas peddle, and the moment I take my foot off the gas the vibration immediately stops. Are you telling me centering rings will fix this specific issue? 🤔 sorry if I was the one who is confused, my knowledge on cars is limited but I love to learn

EDIT: just to clarify, the vibration begins around 40mph, but will stop around 60mph, then starts back at 80mph. Also, if I REALLY give it gas, like put my foot all the way down on the peddle, the vibration will sometimes not even happen if I do that.

Last edited by restartbutton; 02-07-2023 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:15 PM

2007 s550
UPDATE- I just got my wheels dynamically balanced, and unfortunately it didn't fix the problem. Oh well, at least it was only $80. And now I have perfectly balanced tires. 😌
Old 02-07-2023, 06:22 PM

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
2013 S550 4MATIC
UPDATE- I just got my wheels dynamically balanced, and unfortunately it didn't fix the problem. Oh well, at least it was only $80. And now I have perfectly balanced tires. 😌
Ok now the next cheapest item on your list is the Transmission Mount. Technically you want to do all three together. Engine and Transmission Mounts but if you are on a budget, I would do that first.
The following users liked this post:
MBCO (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 07:07 PM

2007 s550
Originally Posted by doni01
Ok now the next cheapest item on your list is the Transmission Mount. Technically you want to do all three together. Engine and Transmission Mounts but if you are on a budget, I would do that first.
I thought those things would cause a vibration at idle? When my car is at idle it's completely still,cool as a cucumber.
(Although the 3rd mechanic said there was vibration at idle 🤔 has that mechanic gone mad, there's definitely no vibration at idle) the 3rd mechanic is the one who gave me that inspection sheet I linked, he was also the one who said once I balanced my tires my issue with it vibrating at high speeds would stop... it's kinda hard for me to trust anything that guy says. PSA to anyone who lives in Birmingham, AL I'd avoid "the mercedes man" in hueytown at all cost.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I did make an appointment at another mechanic for Friday. This was a mechanic recommended by a mercedes benz dealership to me, so I'd assume there reputable.

Last edited by restartbutton; 02-07-2023 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:40 PM

Received 169 Likes on 130 Posts
2007 SL550 & 2012 S550 4matic
Restart, you can get wheels and tires information here
https://www.tire rack.com

put your year and model information in and you will have sizes. 18 or 19 inches are what most people have
Old 02-08-2023, 12:01 AM

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
2007 S550
I thought those things would cause a vibration at idle? When my car is at idle it's completely still,cool as a cucumber.
(Although the 3rd mechanic said there was vibration at idle 🤔 has that mechanic gone mad, there's definitely no vibration at idle) the 3rd mechanic is the one who gave me that inspection sheet I linked, he was also the one who said once I balanced my tires my issue with it vibrating at high speeds would stop... it's kinda hard for me to trust anything that guy says. PSA to anyone who lives in Birmingham, AL I'd avoid "the mercedes man" in hueytown at all cost.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I did make an appointment at another mechanic for Friday. This was a mechanic recommended by a mercedes benz dealership to me, so I'd assume there reputable.
Trans mount. Just get it done. It's cheap and it's easy. They do wear out so even if it doesn't solve all your problems, you probably need one. A blown trans mount will cause the tail of your transmission to shift under a load. This puts the drive shaft at an angle it's not supposed to go. You don't have universal joints at the front and back of your drive shaft like most cars. You have a thing called a flex joint or a guibo. It's just a rubber disk and can't handle very much deflection.

Motor mounts would be a good idea too but they are not cheap and the install is not easy.
The following users liked this post:
doni01 (02-08-2023)