S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

DIY Question: Programming/Calibration Needed After Struts/Compressor Replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 09:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
DIY Question: Programming/Calibration Needed After Struts/Compressor Replacement?

Hello.

Considering the very steep costs of having air suspension parts replaced at a dealer or "certified mechanic shop", I am seriously contemplating a DIY type route to try to replace these parts myself, or with the help of my mechanic who services my other vehicles (asian brands). This question is to help safeguard any gotchas.

Is any programming/calibration (i.e. "computerized work") needed after replacing air suspension parts (for example, struts, compressor, valve block, etc.)? If so, I have heard that this type of programming/calibration can only be done at the dealership. That kinda defeats the DIY route, especially considering that dealership may refuse to do any work if I have aftermarket (for example Arnott brand) struts and parts installed.... Please advise.

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 S550 Xmatic
My reply is limited to struts, in part because another person replied to you other post that you should not replace valve block and compressor at your current mileage, and in part because I've not replaced these parts on my car, and thus don't know the answer.

As for struts, the answer is no. No programming or calibration work (at least if your level sensor is not damaged). I replaced front right strut myself a year ago. Fairly easy process; took a total of 1 hour once I got car jacked up and wheel off.

If your car is 4matic, you'll need a tool to remove the ball joint at the bottom of the strut from the lower trailing control arm. A common suspension tool; NOT a MB specialty tool. (I picked one up at Harbor Freight.) If your car is RWD, you may not have to do this, but I'm not sure.
The following users liked this post:
cad1857 (06-15-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 11:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
@Syntax26 Thanks much

The more stories I hear such as yours of people doing it themselves with relative ease and using tools that are usually found in a well equipment "home" garage, the better I feel :-)
The following users liked this post:
Syntax26 (06-15-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 455 Likes on 339 Posts
222 S-65
OP easy DIY with no programming required.