S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Key Fob Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 08:31 AM

Received 376 Likes on 231 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
Key Fob Issues

I now have two physically broken key fobs. The brittle plastic has broken that holds the key blades in the fobs. The electronics still work fine, though. My car has Keyless Go. I'm having trouble sourcing any help on this issue. The best local locksmith says he can do any car except Mercedes. I've reached out to three programmers online on Ebay, and none have replied. I've got a blank new old stock OEM key fob, but the local dealer says they cannot program it.

So, what to do...anyone have ideas? I've also checked a couple programming tools on Amazon, and both manufacturers say it won't work. There's got to be a solution, right?
Old 09-25-2023, 09:31 AM

Received 358 Likes on 235 Posts
2007 S600, 2007 Chrysler 300 SRT8, 2000 C5 Corvette, and 2017 Mustang GT, and just got a 2023 300C
When I bought my previously owned S600 it came with only one fob. I made it part of the deal for the seller to provide a second key fob. They had to do it through the Mercedes dealership who checked out my registration and drivers license on my pickup of the new fob. It was called a security issue. Mercedes charged the seller $495. There was no other choice available at the time.
Old 09-25-2023, 10:57 AM

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
2013 S550 4MATIC
There was a guy here on the forum that was able to transfer the chip to a new shell. I had him do that to my W220 key when I got it but never kept the contact info. I remember he only charged $80 and I provided a brand new keyfob that I purchase off ebay. Try doing a search...
Old 09-25-2023, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 946 Likes on 778 Posts
S500
no idea but my thinking is - they don't make individual keys for every car made - dealers will only work on new parts - but I'm sure the dealer kit will programme them no problem at all

most cars just have a procedure to say think about life and add this new key - all doable at home

Old 09-25-2023, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
on google - says its for merc (might be ???)

How do I program my new car key?
Programming a Single Key
  1. Insert the key into the ignition, and turn it to the on position. ...
  2. Leave the key in this position for 10 minutes and 30 seconds, and then turn it off.
  3. Turn the key back on, and wait for additional 10 minutes and 30 seconds before turning it off again.
  4. Repeat the process for a third time.

and here's another

1 Place your key in the car's ignition and turn the key two clicks to the "On" position for any Mercedes car.
2 Press and release the lock button on your Mercedes keyless remote.
3 Press and hold the unlock button on your remote.
4 Press the lock button on your remote five times consecutively, while the unlock button is still held, at one or two second intervals.
5 Release the two buttons and wait five seconds after pressing the lock button for the fifth time. Press either the lock or unlock button once to finish the

According to the manual there is another way. (I suspect this is to recalibrate a key's brain - if you play with it too much out of range of the car, keys can become out of sync with the car)

"The system may have to be re-synchronized if the transmitter is without voltage for several minutes.
To synchronize the system, aim transmitter eye at vehicle and briefly press transmitter button (lock or unlock) twice.
Within approximately 30 seconds insert key in steering lock and turn it to position 2.
The remote control should once again be operational."
By using the first method I may have inadvertently performed the second method. However the first definitely worked.

most stuff has a work around but far too many selfish people like to keep you in the dark - if you can't find how plenty of car thieves will be able to do it with kit they car around with them

Last edited by BOTUS; 09-25-2023 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-26-2023, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by BOTUS
on google - says its for merc (might be ???)

How do I program my new car key?
Programming a Single Key
  1. Insert the key into the ignition, and turn it to the on position. ...
  2. Leave the key in this position for 10 minutes and 30 seconds, and then turn it off.
  3. Turn the key back on, and wait for additional 10 minutes and 30 seconds before turning it off again.
  4. Repeat the process for a third time.

and here's another

1 Place your key in the car's ignition and turn the key two clicks to the "On" position for any Mercedes car.
2 Press and release the lock button on your Mercedes keyless remote.
3 Press and hold the unlock button on your remote.
4 Press the lock button on your remote five times consecutively, while the unlock button is still held, at one or two second intervals.
5 Release the two buttons and wait five seconds after pressing the lock button for the fifth time. Press either the lock or unlock button once to finish the

According to the manual there is another way. (I suspect this is to recalibrate a key's brain - if you play with it too much out of range of the car, keys can become out of sync with the car)

"The system may have to be re-synchronized if the transmitter is without voltage for several minutes.
To synchronize the system, aim transmitter eye at vehicle and briefly press transmitter button (lock or unlock) twice.
Within approximately 30 seconds insert key in steering lock and turn it to position 2.
The remote control should once again be operational."
By using the first method I may have inadvertently performed the second method. However the first definitely worked.

most stuff has a work around but far too many selfish people like to keep you in the dark - if you can't find how plenty of car thieves will be able to do it with kit they car around with them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxNmTASz3eg&t=137
Interesting. I just assumed this was super difficult and there were no home remedies. Thanks for posting...I'll look into it.

Regarding the dealer option...part says discontinued on the official MB parts store. From experience, discontinued usually means it is gone and not coming back. I briefly spoke w/ my SA about it a few weeks ago, and he was dubious that they could do anything for me. Hence, me looking at other ideas. Keyless Go seems to be a specific problem, from what I understand.
Old 09-26-2023, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
got to remember

they just about train the new techs (to use the toilet and how to press a button on the coffee machine),
whereas the service receptionist get far more training, (so they can lie convincingly about whats possible, but mostly on how to fleece cash out of victims coming in the door)
so any proper use of dealer tools to do interesting stuff needs the likes of benzninja to sort things out...
Old 09-26-2023, 12:33 PM

Received 153 Likes on 121 Posts
2012 E350 Cabriolet now SOLD to my son
Originally Posted by nath_h
I now have two physically broken key fobs. The brittle plastic has broken that holds the key blades in the fobs. The electronics still work fine, though. My car has Keyless Go. I'm having trouble sourcing any help on this issue. The best local locksmith says he can do any car except Mercedes. I've reached out to three programmers online on Ebay, and none have replied. I've got a blank new old stock OEM key fob, but the local dealer says they cannot program it.

So, what to do...anyone have ideas? I've also checked a couple programming tools on Amazon, and both manufacturers say it won't work. There's got to be a solution, right?
In 2018, on my 2012 A207, i had only one keyfob. Went to dealer and they ordered one $400.. Then in 2019 the other key fob went south similar to your issue ..metal key kept falling out. So I looked online at Amazon and ordered the key fob case ( case only ) Then i took the busted one apart and transferred the electronics board to the new one. Voila done not necessary to program it since the electronics were not changed at all.
You might look into that, although YMMV that was 5 years ago :-)
The following users liked this post:
nath_h (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
In 2018, on my 2012 A207, i had only one keyfob. Went to dealer and they ordered one $400.. Then in 2019 the other key fob went south similar to your issue ..metal key kept falling out. So I looked online at Amazon and ordered the key fob case ( case only ) Then i took the busted one apart and transferred the electronics board to the new one. Voila done not necessary to program it since the electronics were not changed at all.
You might look into that, although YMMV that was 5 years ago :-)
This is why the forum is so fantastic...I love it that we can crowdsource getting our cars fixed. Another good idea here...I'll look into this option also. Thanks.
The following 3 users liked this post by nath_h:
Petersla (09-29-2023), vettebk (09-27-2023), WRC-LVR (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 01:11 PM

Received 170 Likes on 130 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by nath_h
This is why the forum is so fantastic...I love it that we can crowdsource getting our cars fixed. Another good idea here...I'll look into this option also. Thanks.
I just picked up one of those Xhorse VVDI MB key programmers and a $17 key blank off of eBay and made a second key. It's not a keyless go key, but the remote works and I'm able to start the car with it. Too bad you're not in NYC, I could help you out.
The following users liked this post:
nath_h (09-28-2023)
Old 09-28-2023, 03:50 AM

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
2009 S600 V-12
Originally Posted by vettebk
When I bought my previously owned S600 it came with only one fob. I made it part of the deal for the seller to provide a second key fob. They had to do it through the Mercedes dealership who checked out my registration and drivers license on my pickup of the new fob. It was called a security issue. Mercedes charged the seller $495. There was no other choice available at the time.
Only one lock smith in the Portland area claimed they could program a second 2009 S600 Mercedes key for $250. I waited for 2 hours for them to clone one from my original, they threw in the towel, and admitted they couldn’t do it.

Ordered a brand spankin’ new one from the MB Dealership, 3 days later picked it up and paid $450. They gave me an old car feel sorry discount.

It had the laser cut key inside and it worked perfectly.

Gotta have a second key…

JR

Last edited by johnnyrocket52; 09-28-2023 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2023, 03:53 PM

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts
2007 S550
Originally Posted by johnnyrocket52
Only one lock smith in the Portland area claimed they could program a second 2009 S600 Mercedes key for $250. I waited for 2 hours for them to clone one from my original, they threw in the towel, and admitted they couldn’t do it.

Ordered a brand spankin’ new one from the MB Dealership, 3 days later picked it up and paid $450. They gave me an old car feel sorry discount.

It had the laser cut key inside and it worked perfectly.

Gotta have a second key…

JR
That is the best deal yet for a dealership key fob. I would pay that (reluctantly). Tell me all your secrets! How did you negotiate that price? I can't get it done for under $650 around here. The Mercedes dealers here really do not want to have anything to do with an older Mercedes unless it's to trade it in on a new one.
Old 09-29-2023, 01:31 AM

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
2009 S600 V-12
[yhing to do with an older Mercedes unless it's to trade it in on a new one.[/QUOTE]
These guys gave me a 15% discount.

https://www.google.com/search?q=merc...le-gws-wiz-hp#