S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Engine Sound. Popping sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 09:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2007 S550
Exclamation Engine Sound. Popping sound

Hello,

I have a popping sound that possibly someone here could point me in the right direction.

It does sound like its coming from the top of engine. I got underneath and the sound seemed to be more towards top side. The car starts fine, idles fine, a/c works, no overheating, the popping sound does go away when pressing the accelerator, it does not get louder or faster when accelerating.

Code P 0016 and P0453

I’ve attached a video below..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_8172.mov (19.70 MB, 64 views)
Old 12-01-2023, 02:42 AM
SPONSOR

Received 376 Likes on 226 Posts
11 E550, 16 AMG GTS, 13 S550
EVAP purge valve maybe for 0453
0016 means camshaft sensor is picking up something weird, it's not the sensor those guys don't just fail randomly, the OE sensors will leak oil long before they mechanically fail.

You're going to need to scan for MB specific codes to prove me right/wrong

sounds like timing chain slap, it's the chain, unsupported by either the gear or a guide thats missing some pieces slapping the timing cover/block and it jumped timing which is sending you a camshaft deviation code. your car is probably in the affected group for the idler gear issue

You're hearing the slack part of the chain whipping the metal of the engine, i could also pull the oil pan to find the metal being removed from the timing cover in the pan as evidence. You're looking at 2-3k. Really not a huge deal

Chris Tran, Service Manager/Owner
Amsoil Independent Dealer #7236674
The following users liked this post:
Kk1207 (12-01-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 03:28 AM

2007 S550
Originally Posted by ChrisHimself
0016 means camshaft sensor is picking up something weird, it's not the sensor those guys don't just fail randomly, the OE sensors will leak oil long before they mechanically fail.

sounds like timing chain slap, it's the chain, unsupported by either the gear or a guide thats missing some pieces slapping the timing cover/block and it jumped timing which is sending you a camshaft deviation code. your car is probably in the affected group for the idler gear issue

You're hearing the slack part of the chain whipping the metal of the engine, i could also pull the oil pan to find the metal being removed from the timing cover in the pan as evidence. You're looking at 2-3k. Really not a huge deal
thank you for your insight. Ill have my mechanic look at that specifically. do you think its safe enough to drive 10 miles to a the shop or should I get it towed to be safe..?
Old 12-01-2023, 04:17 PM
SPONSOR

Received 376 Likes on 226 Posts
11 E550, 16 AMG GTS, 13 S550
Originally Posted by Kk1207
thank you for your insight. Ill have my mechanic look at that specifically. do you think its safe enough to drive 10 miles to a the shop or should I get it towed to be safe..?
youve probably been driving it this way for a while without knowing it, if you're ok with the 2-3k figure you might as well tow it to be safe, but if youre not gonna do it it doesn't really matter in the long run

theres nothing insane amount the timing job on those cars, i find most belt jobs to be about the same difficulty if not worse. I billed $3500 for an Acura MDX once for its timing belt/waterpump/tstat and front accessory pulleys

Chris Tran, Service Manager/Owner
Amsoil Independent Dealer #7236674
Old 12-01-2023, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 921 Likes on 655 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Could it be as simple as faulty cam shaft "magnet"? Assuming this engine has them...
Old 12-01-2023, 06:57 PM

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
2007 S550
Originally Posted by ChrisHimself

Sludge will cause them to fail. There's a little shelf there for it to collect. If oil changes have been "deferred" for a while, sludge collecting in the crevices is highly possible.

For code 0016, this is the intake Camshaft Position Sensor on the passenger side. The one all the way to the passenger side. It's disagreeing with the crankshaft position sensor. Since there isn't a code for the driver's side, I would replace it along with the Camshaft Adjuster Magnet. It's the cheapest option and a great place to start. You can at least rule out a common failure point for a couple of minutes worth of work. If it turns out to be a more serious issue relating to the timing chain, that's a much bigger job.

For code P0453, replace the fuel tank pressure sensor.
Old 12-01-2023, 09:35 PM

2007 S550
Originally Posted by Shadly1
Sludge will cause them to fail. There's a little shelf there for it to collect. If oil changes have been "deferred" for a while, sludge collecting in the crevices is highly possible.

For code 0016, this is the intake Camshaft Position Sensor on the passenger side. The one all the way to the passenger side. It's disagreeing with the crankshaft position sensor. Since there isn't a code for the driver's side, I would replace it along with the Camshaft Adjuster Magnet. It's the cheapest option and a great place to start. You can at least rule out a common failure point for a couple of minutes worth of work. If it turns out to be a more serious issue relating to the timing chain, that's a much bigger job.

For code P0453, replace the fuel tank pressure sensor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=4HK4sqE9m_c
thank you for your reply. And i believe it could be what you mentioned. I looked up and found another video (finally) of another w221 with the same engine sound.. and it was their camshaft adjuster amd sensor. So i will definitely get those replaced asap. As well with the fuel tank sensor.. thanks again. I hope this is the fix.