S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Custom Wheels Offset Input Needed - BCForge on a W221 S65

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 06:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 S65
Custom Wheels Offset Input Needed - BCForge on a W221 S65

Hello friends. I am getting aftermarket wheels for my W221 S65 and would like input as to what is the proper offset to order, as I can basically get any spec that I'd like. BC Forge gives their recommended specs but I really want to make sure I don't look like I belong in a rap video. I'm old and function is important to me.

- I'm told my vehicle is lowered (see pictures), so please keep that in mind for rubbing
- I'd like to put 285 or 295 wheels on the rear tires, but it's really not necessary
- OEM brakes
- Whatever wheel/tire combo is purchase needs to have the tire stick out "fatter" than the rim, like in the factory combo. Metal cannot stick out past the rubber; doesn't look right to me.

Stock wheel specs:
255/35ZR20 - 8.5Jx20 ET43
275/35ZR20 - 9.5Jx20 ET43

Recommended from BC Forge:

255/35/R20 - 9.0x20 ET35
295/30R20 - 10.5x20 ET40

So given all this, what would the experts recommend? Do people ever order custom wheels in the factory specs? Also interested to know if I'd care about 60-degree conical lug seats vs. factory lug seats. Would love to hear some thoughts before I drop almost 5k on new rims. Thank you!

Old 06-24-2024, 07:15 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Benz w221 s550
Your car looks amazing as is, but since wheel selection is subjective I'm gonna bow out, but I will leave you with this tid bit of info..........IF your car is lowered, then turn the front wheels left and right and see how much fender clearance you have taking into consideration hitting a bump with the wheels "turned". Make sure you have enough suspension travel not to rub the paint off your front fenders or even worse, crush a fender in a turn hitting a bump. Good luck in your wheel selection your car is gorgeous.

Lastly, MAKE SURE the wheels you chose are built to handle the weight of your car as aftermarket wheels on these heavy cars are VERY likely to get bent when hitting potholes or poor surfaces. That would be a terrible waste of money. I would chose REPUTABLE ONE PIECE FORGED wheels if I were you. OEM wheels are built like a tank for a reason. Wheel vendors will tell you their wheels will FIT on your car but holding them down to warranty an inferior product resulting in a bent rim from a pot hole that the OEM would eat for breakfast may be very disappointing and costly.

Last edited by Ultrakla$$ic; 06-24-2024 at 07:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vettebk (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 09:42 AM

2007 S65
Ultrakla$$ic, that's a good idea about turning the wheels left and right to check clearance. How much clearance will I need though? I don't know how much the suspension travels when going over bumps.

BCForge states that they build these specifically to the vehicle so hopefully my woes go away. I'm actually replacing my OEMs because I've gotten two small cracks in them since ownership, which have to be welded back together. I've done a lot of research and their wheels seem to get solid reviews, but if anyone knows otherwise, please give me a shout!
Old 06-25-2024, 10:53 AM

Benz w221 s550
Originally Posted by MBKarma
Ultrakla$$ic, that's a good idea about turning the wheels left and right to check clearance. How much clearance will I need though? I don't know how much the suspension travels when going over bumps.

BCForge states that they build these specifically to the vehicle so hopefully my woes go away. I'm actually replacing my OEMs because I've gotten two small cracks in them since ownership, which have to be welded back together. I've done a lot of research and their wheels seem to get solid reviews, but if anyone knows otherwise, please give me a shout!
I just turn my wheels and walk from side to side checking where the wheels would possibly make contact with the fender and then bounce it as hard as I can determining if either the suspension is making full travel without hitting or if it touches the fender. Raise accordingly. Pay attention to Comfort or Sport Mode as well because Sport Mode will lower the car of course.
Old 06-25-2024, 11:50 AM

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts
2012 E350 Cabriolet now SOLD to my son
if you already have gotten cracks in the OEM rims, getting aftermarket rims may make the issue worse esp with wider rims and run flats.. If the factory tires are run flats, you need to change to non run flat tires. Getting them in a taller sidewall will def help but then you have the issue of the tires rubbing since you are lowered.

Non run flats have sidewalls that are not as stiff .. the ride will improve..which will fit your needed function and comfort.

IMHO dropping 5k on rims that arent as heavily built as the OEM is gonna be counter productive.

My suggestion is to find non run flat tires in stock size with a rim protector molded in to protect the rim edge. If you still want to fit wider rims, then get rid of the dropped suspension, use the fronts 255/35/20 with the rim protector and find full forged rims not flow formed ( barrel rolled ) ones.

Here is a link to a tire/wheel fitment calculator: https://www.willtheyfit.com/

That should help with your decision. Let us know what you decide.

Last edited by WRC-LVR; 06-25-2024 at 11:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vettebk (06-25-2024)
Old Today, 10:57 AM

2007 S65
Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
if you already have gotten cracks in the OEM rims, getting aftermarket rims may make the issue worse esp with wider rims and run flats.. If the factory tires are run flats, you need to change to non run flat tires. Getting them in a taller sidewall will def help but then you have the issue of the tires rubbing since you are lowered.

Non run flats have sidewalls that are not as stiff .. the ride will improve..which will fit your needed function and comfort.

IMHO dropping 5k on rims that arent as heavily built as the OEM is gonna be counter productive.

My suggestion is to find non run flat tires in stock size with a rim protector molded in to protect the rim edge. If you still want to fit wider rims, then get rid of the dropped suspension, use the fronts 255/35/20 with the rim protector and find full forged rims not flow formed ( barrel rolled ) ones.

Here is a link to a tire/wheel fitment calculator: https://www.willtheyfit.com/

That should help with your decision. Let us know what you decide.
Thanks for your help. Non-runflats on my vehicle right now as I have a spare in the trunk, and they have the built-in rim protector as you mentioned. Interesting to read this though as all the local shops are telling me they get cracked Mercedes and BMW rims all the time around here and they always recommend to go aftermarket since Mercedes has conventionally always made soft wheels. BC Forged wheels are fully forged, right? https://bcforged-na.com/modular/

I will check into your tool here this evening. Are you recommending that if I go aftermarket to just stay with stock fitment? I'm honestly fine with that if it will yield better results; I think the stock offsets look fine.
Old Today, 05:23 PM

Benz w221 s550
Originally Posted by MBKarma
Thanks for your help. Non-runflats on my vehicle right now as I have a spare in the trunk, and they have the built-in rim protector as you mentioned. Interesting to read this though as all the local shops are telling me they get cracked Mercedes and BMW rims all the time around here and they always recommend to go aftermarket since Mercedes has conventionally always made soft wheels. BC Forged wheels are fully forged, right? https://bcforged-na.com/modular/

I will check into your tool here this evening. Are you recommending that if I go aftermarket to just stay with stock fitment? I'm honestly fine with that if it will yield better results; I think the stock offsets look fine.

I believe they have ONE PIECE MONOBLOCK FORGED wheels correct???

Last edited by Ultrakla$$ic; Today at 05:25 PM.
Old Today, 05:36 PM

2007 S65
Originally Posted by Ultrakla$$ic
I believe they have ONE PIECE MONOBLOCK FORGED wheels correct???

Looks to me like both the monoblock and the modulars are forged, hence the confusion why the forged recommendation was brought up, but admittedly I don't know much about wheels.