S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Rear heater core replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2024, 05:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2009 S600
Rear heater core replacement

I had an issue earlier that I traced back to the rear climate control heater core. To replace it, do I have to remove the whole dashboard? There aren't any videos on it. But I assume that is the case.
Old 07-25-2024, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 885 Likes on 734 Posts
S500
no - look on youtube

and why start a new thread for the same subject?
Old 07-25-2024, 10:36 PM

2009 S600
Originally Posted by BOTUS
no - look on youtube

and why start a new thread for the same subject?
I haven't been able to find anything on Google, YouTube or the forums about it. Maybe I'm just using the wrong phrases in my search. And I made a new one so that people don't read the title and assume I'm still trying to find out what the issue is. Now people know exactly what it's about.
Old 07-26-2024, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
but until you pull it apart having exhausted all the other far more likely causes you wont know...

in your first post on the other thread you stated "First thing I noticed was water spraying out of the windshield washer cap" so were you mistaken or have you found how this is possible ? there is indeed engine coolant pumped through a kettle style heater element inside the washer bottle for cold weather heating - but what on earth does that have to do with the optional rear heater ?

to get at the comand knob you have to remove the centre console

Last edited by BOTUS; 07-26-2024 at 03:06 AM.
Old 07-26-2024, 07:33 AM

2009 S600
but until you pull it apart having exhausted all the other far more likely causes you wont know...

in your first post on the other thread you stated "First thing I noticed was water spraying out of the windshield washer cap" so were you mistaken or have you found how this is possible ? there is indeed engine coolant pumped through a kettle style heater element inside the washer bottle for cold weather heating - but what on earth does that have to do with the optional rear heater ?

to get at the comand knob you have to remove the centre console

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2lLzKJU69Y
Yeah they are two separate issues. Only thing related is what caused them. It should be said that I hadn't driven the car in about 8 months. It sat over the winter with water in the cooling system which expanded when it froze and broke the rear heater core which is why steam is coming it of the rear vents only and why the washer fluid reservoir has water in it. I have the parts to replace them both but I don't want to take apart moe than I have to.
Old 07-26-2024, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
this reminds me of a mistake I here from Derek all day long on vice grip garage....

he takes about old cars parked up with no antifreeze might have popped the "freeze plugs" that is utter horse **** - there is NO such thing on a car engine

the "core plugs" are there to hold the core when the engine block is cast - to create the water ways for the cooling system

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_plug

good luck hoping a v12 will survive such treatment

Old 07-26-2024, 01:18 PM

2009 S600
this reminds me of a mistake I here from Derek all day long on vice grip garage....

he takes about old cars parked up with no antifreeze might have popped the "freeze plugs" that is utter horse **** - there is NO such thing on a car engine

the "core plugs" are there to hold the core when the engine block is cast - to create the water ways for the cooling system

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_plug

good luck hoping a v12 will survive such treatment
Yeah I'm not happy about it either. I thought it had a blown head gasket which is why I had it sitting. But then I woke up and realized that the issue wasn't a head gasket which is how I found out about these two issues recently.