S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

2012 S350 Continuing Electrical Nightmare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2024, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s 350, E550
2012 S350 Continuing Electrical Nightmare

I have a 2012 S350 Bluetec Diesel. Best car I have ever owned, up until about 1 year ago. Took it in to get the recall done on the emissions for the diesels. Instantly I started getting about 8 MPG less and then all the gremlins started coming out of the closet. Unending electrical issues. Right now I have issues where I go to get in the car and it will not start or even make a sound. All the lights on the dash will be on, but nothing else works. No door locks, sunroof seats etc. This is the same whether I use the actual key or the push button. Have the car towed to the dealership, in the morning in starts right up. It has burned out 2 batteries in the last 6 months, both replaced by the dealer. They just had the car for 3 months, and found nothing. So, I got the car back and the first day I drove it i was left stranded. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? The dealer is stumped. What if any recourse is there if Mercedes can't fix a problem on one of their cars?
Old 08-16-2024, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 946 Likes on 778 Posts
S500
the tractor recall was mandatory - Merc had to do it even if you didn't want it done - part of the legal settlement for them being utter crooks

being so old it would be super surprising if this had anything to do with the fun u r having - as far as I know the 221 tractors are so old in tech terms for tractor emission fun, likely not much needed doing - the hell was the tricks they did on adblue cars (those with uric acid exhaust treatment) - these ones needed a secret squirrel Mk3 NOx sensor they pretend isn't out there, and 3 software updates.... then they do (for the first few times) drink fuel, as for pretty much the first time in the cars life the DPF does a real regen function.... lots without knowledge noticed the fuel increase - but it was mostly a few regen cycles and the adaptions finding their feet - that was noticed by many owners believing the gearbox was playing up and they stupidly got half the world stirred up and we still have half the cars deliberately unfixed by ignorant owners

dependent upon mkt they did a fake cheap fix (all UK cars) that saw owners getting stung shortly after the "recall" and being charged to fund the Mk3 NOx sensor fitment at $1300 themselves - when everybody knows it was a necessary part of getting the car legal...

but none of those should give any other vehicle related issues - starters failing is a common one here

if its not that, I guess something electrical isn't tight - check pre-fuse bolt on wiring, battery terminals, the starter, and the alternator
Old 08-17-2024, 04:15 AM

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
2006 W221 S500L
Try to find out where on your car they did mechanical/electrical work.
Then start there with checking the ground cables and electrical connections.
It's going to be a pain in the 4$$ for sure.