S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

whistling and ticking noise from the engine 2009 S600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 02:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 s600
Question whistling and ticking noise from the engine 2009 S600

Still very new to the m275 engine so this might be very dumb questions, I noticed a "whistling" kind of noise from the front of the engine, see video 1, the sound is pretty obvious 20 seconds into the video. Is it just idler pulley, or something else? Doesn't really sound like air leak..
I can also hear an obvious ticking sound. See video 2. I only recorded 10 seconds of this ticking sound, but it actually ticks faster sometimes on its own, with no change in RPM. The front of the car is lifted and put on jack stands and no loads on the front suspension, with the rear still on the ground.

Appreciate any help identifying possible causes for these two type of noises, thanks!
Old Today, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 767 Posts
S500
slip off the drive belt and spin the top three small idler / tensioner pulleys to check bearings

they are made of chocolate and get noisy, then fail and love to throw the belt

cheap - gates ones are often INA OEM in the box

at 69k miles I have swapped the top one twice and the other two once (and the AC pump one - as thats the wrong width 2mm less than audi spec)

on my V8 the PAS and water pump sound like they were built to panzer noise regs not a motor car in the 2000's - that should not actually be much of a surprise - NVH - was never a Merc design philosophy - they used to focus on style, safety and longevity

obviously
style - clearly the drugs german designers take are pretty special - have you seen the catastrophe of dashboards and front grilles they offend us with these days
safety - since EuroNCAP in the 90s its become effectively mandatory across the world, so that dropped off a unique sales point,
longevity - ha ha, designed to fail for 30 years...

Last edited by BOTUS; Today at 04:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BOTUS:
johnny_3352 (Today), vettebk (Today)
Old Today, 06:38 AM

Received 372 Likes on 229 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by johnny_3352
Still very new to the m275 engine so this might be very dumb questions, I noticed a "whistling" kind of noise from the front of the engine, see video 1, the sound is pretty obvious 20 seconds into the video. Is it just idler pulley, or something else? Doesn't really sound like air leak..
I can also hear an obvious ticking sound. See video 2. I only recorded 10 seconds of this ticking sound, but it actually ticks faster sometimes on its own, with no change in RPM. The front of the car is lifted and put on jack stands and no loads on the front suspension, with the rear still on the ground.

https://youtu.be/14TGsv-r7nQ

https://youtu.be/FOa90KYMQW0

Appreciate any help identifying possible causes for these two type of noises, thanks!
I've got a CL550, but have the same two sounds. I think they are normal. The ticking sound I think from hunting around is coming from the ABC pump.
The following 2 users liked this post by nath_h:
johnny_3352 (Today), vettebk (Today)
Old Today, 08:18 AM

Received 355 Likes on 234 Posts
2007 S600, 2007 Chrysler 300 SRT8, 2000 C5 Corvette, and 2017 Mustang GT, and just got a 2023 300C
The first sound to me sounds like the idler pulley and tensioner. These are maintenance parts and if yours has never been changed, it is due!! The second sound to me sounds like the ABC pump. That is not a maintenance item but if you are pushing 100K miles on that ABC pump, you may be due for that also. My 2007 S600 has all of these same sounds from time to time.

If it was me, I would do the pulleys and tensioner and maybe a new serpentine belt but I would wait on the ABC pump until it gets worse. The pulleys and tensioner and belt are not expensive. The ABC pump is very expensive.

Keep us posted on what you do.
The following 2 users liked this post by vettebk:
johnny_3352 (Today), M273abc (Today)
Old Today, 11:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 s600
Thanks you guys! yeah I'll probably ignore the ticking sound for now, as long as it's not related to camshaft slapping valves I'm OK with ignoring it. I'll try to determine if the idler pulleys are bad, they are indeed pretty cheap so that's a relief