S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

great example of appalling driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today | 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
great example of appalling driving

came across this by accident - he's lucky to be alive the way he can't drive - but a good example of the "empty the tank and melt the brakes" style of driving you often have to employ trying to go fast on their unlimited speed highways

quick heads up
140 on his speedo is 87mph
200 on his speedo it 124mph
255 on his speedo is 158 mph

Old Today | 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Germany has significantly fewer per capita fatal highway accidents than the USA despite the unlimited Autobahn sections. You may notice that German drivers actually have lane discipline and stay to the right or quickly get out of the fast lanes if another car approaches fast. Nothing here is luck. It's skill and discipline. What you see in this video is very normal. I've driven in Germany for many years at the same kind of speeds. Never had an accident or was in danger. To get a driver license in Germany, you have to demonstrate that you can drive on the Autobahn at these kinds of speeds. They don't just give driver licenses to every moron walking into a DMV like in the USA, and that's not just in Germany, but most of Western Europe in general. It's a very different level of driving over there. If you don't live this life and compare the road situation to the chaos on the roads in North America then I can understand your take, but you don't really understand the situation in Germany.

It is appallingly easy to get and keep a drivers license in North America. I'd venture 75% of drivers at least are not properly trained to even drive safely at the highway speeds around here and wouldn't know what to do in an emergency, because nobody ever told them. Admittedly, you can travel to Germany as an American and let loose on the Autobahn with your American driver license, but perhaps that's not the best idea if you've never done it.

Lastly, there's the roadworthiness of the cars. In the USA you see all kinds of crap driving on the roads. Vehicles that are clearly not safe anymore. In Germany and the rest of Europe for that matter, cars have to undergo regular inspection to make sure they are roadworthy. You may have heard of the TÜV in Germany. They have very strict standards as to what constitutes roadworthiness. You are not gonna see rust buckets cruising around on the German Autobahn. You also barely see American cars on the road. Guess why?

Last edited by superswiss; Today at 04:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
justchangeoil63 (Today)
Old Today | 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
he's an idiot, about 5 times he gets it seriously wrong - he's in a 2.3t tank that doesn't like stopping from 150mph - closing speeds of 70mph more than an asleep halfwit is a right mess we don't need

I'm also not of the persuasion they (Europeans that drive on the wrong side of the road) have good lane discipline at all - Yes, they believe if they indicate that's half of what matters. The other one they love, is swerving in and out of lanes like crazy for no reason whatsoever. When pressing on you need consistent responses and people that understand and consider closing speeds of other road users (thus have a bit of consideration) What I mostly find in Continental Europe is wild maneuvers where clearly the only thing going on in their head is "I indicated so its my right to swerve in to a lane - I don't care if they were clearly going much faster than I was".

I worked in a european team and we rented cars and thrashed around much of europe quite often for years - NL guy used to complain about UK lane discipline being appalling - and yes we have a huge problem - but I've always felt much safer with UK halfwits than foreign ones.... Germany and France clearly have serious issues giving a toss about other people who are getting on with it - tick tock, tick tock - serve.

Old Today | 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I'm not much for generalizations or anecdotal evidence. I'm a data guy. So much of what you say doesn't really track with actual data. You can look up the stats. Some of the recent data has Germany at 3.7 road deaths per 100,000 inhabitants. That's admittedly behind the 2.9 per 100,000 for the UK, but ahead of countries such as NL and other Western European countries. That's pretty good considering that Germany has an actual racetrack that's officially part of the German Autobahn system and as said has many sections of the Autobahn w/o speed limits. I invite you to come drive in the USA with its 12.9 road deaths per 100,000. You might get a heart attack ;-).

I will give you this. Over the years I have observed a decline in Germany. Especially younger drivers don't seem to know anymore what they are doing on the roads. It tracks with the general decline in intelligence and education around the world. People are not only becoming dumber, but also less skilled in general. My generation still cares about merits and we pride ourselves in honing our skills.

Last edited by superswiss; Today at 05:41 PM.
Old Today | 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
fully agree on your last paragraph

in Britain today youngsters only experience of judging speed and distance is in the fake world of computer games...
when you walked crossing roads, and rode bicycles to school, then jumped about afterwards in trees you honed vital lifelong skills - now mummy takes you in an air con monster truck as you destroy your brain playing with a tracking device - then at 18 you crash coz a PlayStation could do the bend at 200mph