S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

No crank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2024 | 11:19 AM

07 S550
No crank

I have been fiddling with this for 2 days now. I have a thinkscan s99 and as you can see, I have it stuck in road test. I am not able to complete the road test, due to the fact it would not crank over before I somehow opened the road test. I am questionable on the starter battery being low, it tested at 12.4-12.45v when disconnected from car. when I jump the starter relay it has a faint somewhat of a click. any info I will find useful. thank you
Old 10-16-2024 | 11:31 AM

E320
Even though your starter battery shows 12.4-12.45 volts when disconnected, it might still be weak under load. A bench test of the battery under load conditions would be the best way to eliminate it as a culprit. You've already checked the starter relay, but I'd also check the grounding points for corrosion or looseness, as poor grounds can cause crank issues. Additionally, examine the starter itself, as sometimes the solenoid can malfunction independently of the relay. While it might seem unlikely, check the condition of the ignition switch and associated wiring since they could prevent proper engagement of the starting circuit if worn or damaged. With regard to diagnosing the issue further, you should run a full scan of all systems. Even though you have a thinkscan s99, consider using a youcanic full system scanner. I've been turning to youcanic more often because it gives comprehensive, reliable data across all control modules, not just the powertrain, and could reveal faults related to the CAN network or immobilizer system. Remember, a basic code reader like a Launch Creader 3001 would only scan for powertrain-related codes and can miss important data from other systems. Have you also checked whether any electrical accessories are drawing power inadvertently, possibly hinting at a parasitic drain?
Old 10-16-2024 | 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
assuming the battery and starter are in good condition and your cheap tool and fiddly fingers has confused its dim brain...

disconnect the battery for 20 min and see if it behaves (note if it has the big one in the back (that's the one you need to disconnect)
if its still being stupid afterwards check if any main modules are stuck waiting to go through "initial start up"