S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

2014 S-class

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
For those who dont want to order.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mercedes-Benz...88552fe&_uhb=1
Old 01-12-2014, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by cookstar
Very nice car. Wow, white just keeps growing on me day by day.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Old 01-13-2014, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12' ML350 4M & 10' E350 4M
Originally Posted by cookstar
The interior is beautiful on the car!! It's on another level with the W222!
Old 01-13-2014, 10:22 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Unrivaled interior!!!
Old 01-13-2014, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
I will say after spending time in one at the dealership the interior is so well done that it feels surreal, every material that you touch is supple leather or wood grain or stitching... gone are they days of the plastic-y interiors.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:51 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
I will say after spending time in one at the dealership the interior is so well done that it feels surreal, every material that you touch is supple leather or wood grain or stitching... gone are they days of the plastic-y interiors.
Thank god.... lol

I remember going from W140 to W220 and it was a step down, two steps down actually on the quality. Technology was great though.

W221 was 3 steps better than the W220 but it still didn't feel as quality as the W140 oddly enough.

The W222 brings the S Class back to where it should be (and stay).
Old 01-15-2014, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
I agree I haven't spend a lot of time in previous generation S-Classes but it doesn't take long to get a feel for interior quality. To be plainly honest the main thing I hate is the steering wheel on it especially considering the AMG is the same retro design but hey it'll be a while before/if I ever get one so I'm sure it'll change.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Old 01-16-2014, 08:55 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,419 Likes on 2,857 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Kratos-TM
Very nice car. Wow, white just keeps growing on me day by day.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Old 02-11-2014, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
The coupe pics are leaking out, she is absolutely stunning!!!!

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 02-11-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
That back end (specifically the lights) looks 911 991 inspired...
Old 02-11-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S550 4Matic
Or kind of reminds me of a Passat CC. I'm not the biggest fan...

Old 02-11-2014, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Are we sure these are legitimate what's the source?
Old 02-11-2014, 02:44 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
That back end (specifically the lights) looks 911 991 inspired...
IMO, M-B seems so far gone in the design department that they have no identity anymore. They've copied everyone in the book, different manufacturers for different cars (thus making the M-B lineup itself look nonsensical from each other, until the S and C looks like big and mini versions of the exact same design, confusing things even further). Copying Porsche now is a new desperation low, practically a "how dare" they stoop to now trying to retain some form of allure by embarking on Porsche's historic design territory. IMO they need a new design team who can prove leadership and a calm-continuity rather than the frenzy they've been showing lately, of drastic designs, second guesses, and the resulting about-face facelifts.

I think it's obvious M-B wanted to try out some 991 inspired rear, carefully, but it doesn't look close to as good as the real thing. Frankly the rear looks both sleek and clunky. The 991's a$$ is pure art.

I've seen some W222's on the road and have to say I don't think the design, aside from sheer size, has such a great presence or balance to it. Not terrible or even bad by any means, but not an event like so many hyped it up to be. At least it has more presence and grace than the SL who looks like all the SL lineage's soul got sucked out of it.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:51 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by K-A
IMO,

I've seen some W222's on the road and have to say I don't think the design, aside from sheer size, has such a great presence or balance to it. Not terrible or even bad by any means, but not an event like so many hyped it up to be. At least it has more presence and grace than the SL who looks like all the SL lineage's soul got sucked out of it.
I couldn't dis-agree more.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,343 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by XxLHCxX
Or kind of reminds me of a Passat CC. I'm not the biggest fan...
That's a stretch to say the least. VW's are some of the most boring cars on the road.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E63
Originally Posted by K-A
IMO, M-B seems so far gone in the design department that they have no identity anymore. They've copied everyone in the book, different manufacturers for different cars (thus making the M-B lineup itself look nonsensical from each other, until the S and C looks like big and mini versions of the exact same design, confusing things even further)....

i have nothing but love for bmw, but mercedes isn't the only one.

A mistake I think Mercedes did, was make the CLA and S class coupe look uncomfortably similar in the front end. I for one wouldn't want a 120k car be mistaken for a 30k car in the rear view of someones mirror. But then again maybe I would for the sleep factor. That being said, I love the S class coupe. My fav car of the lineup right now, followed by the CLS.

Last edited by fila0220; 02-11-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:11 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,419 Likes on 2,857 Posts
2012 CLS63
I've seen one S class on the road and not only is it because I ordered one, but I did get so excited because they DO look very good and DO have a nice presence on the road IMO....
the Only thing that really bugs me is that some chysler rolling around has headlamps similar to the new S class.......
but damn, even the SIZE of the S class does not seem as boaty as S's of recent past....
and even while driving them, it does not feel like a HUGE car, it's very manageable and easy to drive
Old 02-11-2014, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Its a good looking car, but its not instantly recognizeable as an S class like the W221 was with its bulging fenders.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
I agree and disagree with various points here... I really never liked how all BMWs looked the same (specifically from the front) as Fila pointed out above, and while I like the design language of the W222 S-Class and all (which has presence in my opinion), the way they are redesigning the new entry-level models to look like mini versions is a bit concerning because in their attempt to have a more homogenous brand identity they are loosing a bit of the special identity that comes with each car. C-Class/S-Class and CLA/CLS are perfect examples of this. In my opinion, if Mercedes makes it easier and easier to buy into the brand with the GLA and CLA, then the brand will loose its prestige and status here in the US. The last straw would be them bringing over the A-Class and B-Class from Europe, because part of their success is the status that comes with saying "I drive a Mercedes" and the connotation of the word - that's not the reason I bought my car but an undeniable facet of the brand nonetheless, and I hope they don't end up screwing that up. So in that sense, yes, I am questioning the new design language they have with their cars. They're still great, but I'm not so sure how the future will play out. I think they need to stay true to their dynamic and classy roots while designing the future, not copying styling cues from other companies which is undeniable if that S-Class coupe will go into production looking like that.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 02-11-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:42 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by fila0220

i have nothing but love for bmw, but mercedes isn't the only one.

A mistake I think Mercedes did, was make the CLA and S class coupe look uncomfortably similar in the front end. I for one wouldn't want a 120k car be mistaken for a 30k car in the rear view of someones mirror. But then again maybe I would for the sleep factor. That being said, I love the S class coupe. My fav car of the lineup right now, followed by the CLS.
BMW's definitely follow a same-sausage idiom, but Mercedes really went on another level with the C and S. I think Mercedes have the most to lose by all this as their upper end cars are starting to look like the lower end cars, while BMW were always known for their 3 Series above all else.

When I see the new CL, I see something I thought was gonna be the C Coupe, to be honest (and it'll probably look like a blown up C Coupe". Things are looking the same across the board and I think it affects M-B's upper priced cars, which always had a large presence and cachet, more other brands who depend less on cachet-factor.

Originally Posted by hyperion667
I've seen one S class on the road and not only is it because I ordered one, but I did get so excited because they DO look very good and DO have a nice presence on the road IMO....
the Only thing that really bugs me is that some chysler rolling around has headlamps similar to the new S class.......
but damn, even the SIZE of the S class does not seem as boaty as S's of recent past....
and even while driving them, it does not feel like a HUGE car, it's very manageable and easy to drive
I agree, the S does look leaner than previous S' and does feel a lot more "compact" from inside, not roominess wise, just design wise, which is technically a good thing for such a massive car.

I agree and disagree with various points here... I really never liked how all BMWs looked the same (specifically from the front) as Fila pointed out above, and while I like the design language of the W222 S-Class and all (which has presence in my opinion), the way they are redesigning the new entry-level models to look like mini versions is a bit concerning because in their attempt to have a more homogenous brand identity they are loosing a bit of the special identity that comes with each car. C-Class/S-Class and CLA/CLS are perfect examples of this. In my opinion, if Mercedes makes it easier and easier to buy into the brand with the GLA and CLA, then the brand will loose its prestige and status here in the US. The last straw would be them bringing over the A-Class and B-Class from Europe, because part of their success is the status that comes with saying "I drive a Mercedes" and the connotation of the word - that's not the reason I bought my car but an undeniable facet of the brand nonetheless, and I hope they don't end up screwing that up. So in that sense, yes, I am questioning the new design language they have with their cars. They're still great, but I'm not so sure how the future will play out. I think they need to stay true to their dynamic and classy roots while designing the future, not copying styling cues from other companies which is undeniable if that S-Class coupe will go into production looking like that.
I agree. Difference between M-B and BMW, Audi, etc. is that M-B has always sold first and foremost for its prestige, while based on my observations, people I know, myself, etc., people buy BMW's and Audi's more for how they drive or operate (Audi though I think gets a lot of people because it's the "new cool". M-B was made out to be the "old guard" by BMW, and now Audi seems to be threatening to do the same to BMW.

I think expensive M-B's looking like smaller M-B's will be catastrophic to the rich brand value M-B has now, but it'll take over a decade if even that to really see it imbedded in people. Though, already, this is the first time that smaller, even a (barf) FWD Mercedes gets more attention than something like the SL which seems to get nary a notice or care, attention wise. I think when the C comes out, the S' design presence will go out the window, personally, too close for comfort.

The worst part is, M-B are now losing their own identity by copying so many other brands. The CL (err, "S Coupe") is the biggest offender. I can name several different cars it seems to mix and mash from. I do like a lot of it, then don't like some, but as with most modern M-B's, maybe sans the S which does have an identity of its own for the most part, it has no holistic language. BMW's to me have a very confident and specific language/vibe, while M-B's look all over the place for the most part. Management constantly doubting their own designs (with crazy about-face facelifts) makes them look even more messy, and I hear the ML is yet another in a long line of modern M-B's that management "isn't happy with" and are again gonna do drastic changes to, once again affecting the timeless value of the entire generation, like they did the E Class. M-B's used to be SO timeless, now even the same generation looks like two different kit-car versions of each other after the facelift, ruining future timeless value or regard of the affected models. It's a very negative perception, but the new S Coupe just confirms my feelings toward M-B's recent approach.

As for the CLA, every time I see one, it bothers me. Those proportions and that interior (and price point) belong on a generic economy car brand, not a Mercedes.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
It is really awful to have to read this same bull**** over and over. Then I realize who is posting it.

I don't get it. Do you really think things will change or that no one here knows what you're about so you have to keep repeating the same thing over and over?

Every new Mercedes under their new design chief has been cohesive, S, S Coupe, GLA, CLA, all a familiar look, ranging from ok (CLS) to gorgeous (S, S Coupe).

I mean really Mercedes got caught up in a changing of the guard in their design studio which is why the SL came out the way it did. They're in the process of fixing it now which is why the E got a big change to try and bring it in line with the rest of the range. The ML and CLS are next. It takes time. Do they not get a chance to fix it? Most tired ****e ever to keep reading the same ole lame stuff over and over again.

The C looking like the S won't hurt anything. The 190E was a miniature 560SEL back in the day and it didn't harm anything, because both cars looked great. The S-Class and the new C are more than likely the best looking cars in their classes and that blows away any imaginary BS about how it will be 10 years from now, after both cars are redesigned. 10 years from now? That doesn't even make sense. No one is thinking about how the C and S looked 10 years ago, in 2014. The cars are gorgeous that trumps that nonsense. If they were ugly there would be a big problem having them look alike.

How in the world is the side "architecture" of the S Coupe related to a Jaguar with Mercedes trademark lines? Plain nonsense.

Long line? Only the ML, SL and SLS were cars that management weren't happen with. Not a long line considering how many models they sell.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 02-12-2014 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:57 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Add the E Class to that, add the C Class to that (interior). M-B hasn't been "happy" with a car for awhile now, just wait until it's W222 facelift time, maybe you're seeing it through rose colored glasses, but if previous actions mean anything, M-B will probably be acting as if the car wasn't worthy enough and "with these new changes now it really is!" M-B loyalists will eat it up like they do with every other product M-B puts out, then about-faces with their "unhappiness" in the design you forked over good money for because you entrusted they had a long term vision.

The side *architecture* looks very Jaguar to me. The shape, the greenhouse, the stance. The wayward-crease fest is all M-B (clearly), but the architecture looks nothing like M-B to me. The rear is a disaster, like they tried to copy a 991 but obviously couldn't implement that look right on the CL, so it looks just awkward, clunky and bland somehow with trying really hard not to be so. It looks like a mashup of many different influences, not many of them of a Mercedes hallmark.

The front looks like the stubby little FWD Econ Car CLA.... I don't see how that can't hurt such an expensive model. At least M-B can draw different lines and implement the grille more distinctively on the cars that go past 6 figures. The S will lose its stature once it starts looking like a blown up C, I almost guarantee it. Wait till its facelift time for the W222, seeing that design verbatim constantly on the C Class will water it down heavily and I think hurt its presence and sense-of-occasion in a sense.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.

Quick Reply: 2014 S-class