S class not made in Germany?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by apl175
I'll thrown in some irrelevant commentary.
You know who I think makes "crummy" parts? The Germans!

My W126 had ENDLESS window regulator issues with the rear windows.....and where were those regulators made?! GERMANY!

The fuel float sensor on my W210 failed EIGHT times - again a part made by Bosch in GERMANY!

More recently I had to replace the plastic coverings on my W211 seat rails - apparently the plasticizers had migrated out of it prematurely - replacement parts came, and the little baggy said the part was MADE IN GERMANY!

So based on those three stand alone data points I will make the conclusion that German made products are crap. I hope everyone realizes the folly of jumping to these conclusions even with isolated data points - let alone making sweeping statements and generalizations about parts made in other countries.

I've heard statements that the interior plastics in the W212 are "crap". Do you really think the country of origin is really at fault? Isn't it more reasonable to assume that a company like Daimler AG has interior systems designers and engineers that specify the performance, appearance and other characteristics of such materials? The transition between design and manufacturing isn't a "throw it over the wall" where the designers say "this is what we want - go make it cheaply, we don't care about anything else"

Finally, the phrase "made in" is a bit of a challenge these days. Let's take a steel spring....was the iron mined in Germany? Was it then milled in Germany? Was it forged in Germany? What about the vanadium that goes in to steel? One of the top countries that supplies vanadium is CHINA! *OMG*. Plastics in general is a more poignant example - where do you define the "made in" for that? Where the oil or gas that forms the plastic polymers comes from? Where the oil or gas is polymerized at an industrial facility in to plastic pellets? Where the pellets are molded or extruded in to product?

My opinion is that the "made in" part is getting to be irrelevant. What is MORE important are the engineering and design standards, and whether or not those standards are being UPHELD by the people who manufacture the product.

Remember when all those horrible Chinese car crash tests appeared on youtube? Do you think they would've been any better had the EXACT same car been made in Germany from German steel? Probably not! Because the Chinese engineers specified a particular thickness, grade, strength of steel, and the design and construction of the vehicle. It would make no difference if the parts and sum of those parts were made or assembled in Germany, Mexico, the USA or elsewhere.
I think you hit the nail on the head.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500

My W126 had ENDLESS window regulator issues with the rear windows.....and where were those regulators made?! GERMANY!

The fuel float sensor on my W210 failed EIGHT times - again a part made by Bosch in GERMANY!

More recently I had to replace the plastic coverings on my W211 seat rails - apparently the plasticizers had migrated out of it prematurely - replacement parts came, and the little baggy said the part was MADE IN GERMANY!

So based on those three stand alone data points I will make the conclusion that German made products are crap. I hope everyone realizes the folly of jumping to these conclusions even with isolated data points - let alone making sweeping statements and generalizations about parts made in other countries.

I've heard statements that the interior plastics in the W212 are "crap". Do you really think the country of origin is really at fault? Isn't it more reasonable to assume that a company like Daimler AG has interior systems designers and engineers that specify the performance, appearance and other characteristics of such materials? The transition between design and manufacturing isn't a "throw it over the wall" where the designers say "this is what we want - go make it cheaply, we don't care about anything else"

Finally, the phrase "made in" is a bit of a challenge these days. Let's take a steel spring....was the iron mined in Germany? Was it then milled in Germany? Was it forged in Germany? What about the vanadium that goes in to steel? One of the top countries that supplies vanadium is CHINA! *OMG*. Plastics in general is a more poignant example - where do you define the "made in" for that? Where the oil or gas that forms the plastic polymers comes from? Where the oil or gas is polymerized at an industrial facility in to plastic pellets? Where the pellets are molded or extruded in to product?

My opinion is that the "made in" part is getting to be irrelevant. What is MORE important are the engineering and design standards, and whether or not those standards are being UPHELD by the people who manufacture the product.

Remember when all those horrible Chinese car crash tests appeared on youtube? Do you think they would've been any better had the EXACT same car been made in Germany from German steel? Probably not! Because the Chinese engineers specified a particular thickness, grade, strength of steel, and the design and construction of the vehicle. It would make no difference if the parts and sum of those parts were made or assembled in Germany, Mexico, the USA or elsewhere.

I agree.

M
Old 09-05-2013, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Originally Posted by Germancar1
So in other words you have nothing to back up anything you've stated here about Chinese parts being a problem.

You don't know what the Chinese parts are.

You don't know what the affects are by having Chinese parts.

NONE of what you're talking about has to do with Chinese parts. The engine? Man stop it, you're reaching now. NOTHING to do with Chinese part/content.

What you're talking about is engineering, not sheer parts related things.

M
Totally agree. The vendor build/make part to meet Mercedes spec, and it's a combination of engineering & accounting that dictate the part. Whether its Chinese, Korean, or Germany.

Matter of fact, if Mercedes dictate that they would pay at most $10 for certain part, you might end up getting higher quality part from the Chinese vendor than from a Korean or German ones, due to lower labor & manufacturing cost.

Nobody seem to complain about all of the iphone & ipad & galaxy come from China, and all see them as symbol of high quality, yet everyone complain when it come to "part" that come from China.

Just FYI, whether you fly on Boeing or Airbus, both have lot of part made in China, a lot !!!.

Last edited by zam2000; 09-05-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280 sport 1997
Wow, so many replies! I never knew there would be this much people commenting on my first post
Old 09-05-2013, 10:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C300 Sport 4MATIC (current) 2006 C280 Elegance 4MATIC (sold)

Yep. Good quality parts can come out of China and they have the factories, workers and tooling to make sure high quality parts are made to the specifications of high end German manufacturers. Should more parts on a German brand car be German? Absolutely but as long as the quality is there it doesn't really matter. Buying a car because it has more German parts doesn't make it more reliable, safe or solid. As far as I'm concerned German cars can be the most troublesome and expensive mainstream cars to diagnose and repair.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 MB GL350 BLUETEC, '10 MB E63 AMG, '95 MB S600, '84 MB 380 SEL
Originally Posted by K-A
You are the master hissy fitter in fact.

I blame the E's shortcomings on Mercedes. I doubt the FACT that MERCEDES uses such as large supply of Chinese parts helps the matter. But what's it to an MB apologist after all. Hopefully the next E uses 80% Chinese parts!
Mr. Know All (is that what KA stands for?),

are you still grieving about getting rid of your E, and trying to justify your poor decision making on getting the 5 Series?

We got it, you are now a BMW freak, that's cool. Now go play in your own sand box. Don't try to convert the congregation by starting to dis the MB product, which up to your BMW purchase you were so proud of. Next you buy an Audi, and BMW goes down the drain???

Wonder what percentage of chinese parts content is on your phone you use, the things you buy, or the cloth you wear?
Old 09-06-2013, 01:27 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by Joyride
Mr. Know All (is that what KA stands for?),

are you still grieving about getting rid of your E, and trying to justify your poor decision making on getting the 5 Series?

We got it, you are now a BMW freak, that's cool. Now go play in your own sand box. Don't try to convert the congregation by starting to dis the MB product, which up to your BMW purchase you were so proud of. Next you buy an Audi, and BMW goes down the drain???

Wonder what percentage of chinese parts content is on your phone you use, the things you buy, or the cloth you wear?
Pff you wish.

And I use a piece of crap Samsung phone so it using Chinese parts isn't a good case to justify a premium priced "German" car using half cheap Chinese parts to make up its totality.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:30 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by TonyMeister
I don't mean to turn this into a political discussion, but K-A sounds like one of those American left-wings who once they are comprehensibly owned, they derail the discussion.

Much like Bill Maher, who recently went on to say that the Tea Party only opposes Obama's intervention in Syria, because he's black and yet the same Maher and his left-wing cronies railed against Bush's intervention in Iraq. What a hypocrite.

But, anyway, back to topic, the country where the car is built doesn't really matter as long the build quality is not diminished.
Well material quality has been diminished, and it uses Chinese parts, so do the math. LOL

And yes, you best stay away from political bs.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:50 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by K-A
Well material quality has been diminished, and it uses Chinese parts, so do the math.
Correlation does not imply causation. While both parts of your statement may be true, the dependence of one part of your statement cannot reliably prove the other.

For example I could say any number of factual statements:
Well material quality has been diminished, and Daimler and Chrysler are no longer together, so do the math.

Well material quality has been diminished, and the time it takes develop and design a car has decreased by 40%, so do the math.

Well material quality has been diminished, and the Democrats made it to the Whitehouse, so do the math.

I hope when things are abstracted out like this, we can see the danger of making sweeping generalizations.

These concepts of observations, facts, variables and causes are basic tenants of modern science education and technique - even at the grade-school level.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:31 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

That's all fine but I don't want a car with class leading Chinese materials and that's what the E Class has become.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 129 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
K-A, I see you are no more popular here than on the E Forum. You have become a troll and a bore.

As far as the parts in a Mercedes, it is irrelevant where they are made but rather the design and specifications. MB applies the same rigid quality control for all parts regardless where they are manufactured.

Like your dumb argument about the "rough" ride of the E. That is by design and not where the suspension was built. Suppliers have no autonomy on specs. Anyone with at least a room temperature IQ knows that.

As usual, you pontificate on things you know nothing about. Go away, you are like three day old fish.

Last edited by petee1997; 09-06-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
It's like talking to an older relative who has lost their reasoning/thinking skills, but one that DOES NOT suffer from dementia. Once they have something in their mind they can't accept or understand anything else.

First it was the engine, then the suspension, now it is the interior. Chinese made.

Nevermind we have no proof of this. He says "do the math", but what math is that? Imaginary?

Now I've got to look at a U.S. market E-Class sticker to see what the percentages are.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 09-06-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:40 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by K-A
That's all fine but I don't want a car with class leading Chinese materials and that's what the E Class has become.
And that's perfectly acceptable - if psychologically you find the idea of Chinese parts in a car that has historically German origins repulsive, then that's fine. There are choices.

I know I would have an issue if a bottle of Maker's Mark Bourbon suddenly said "Distilled and Aged in New York City" - because Maker's Mark doesn't come from a big city in the northeast - it comes from a small town in Kentucky which has that allure of timelessness, and tradition deep in the American backbone.

"Quality; you know what it is yet you don't know what it is but that's self -contradictory. That some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality, but when you try to say what that quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof. There's nothing to talk about. But if you cannot say what Quality is, then how do you know what it is? How do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is …but what else are grades based on? Why else would people pay fortunes for some things and throw others in the trash pile? Obviously some things are better than others then what's the betterness? So round and round you go, spinning mental wheels and nowhere finding any place to get traction . What is Quality? What is it?"

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance; Robert M. Pirsig
Old 09-06-2013, 07:37 PM

C280 sport 1997
And that's perfectly acceptable - if psychologically you find the idea of Chinese parts in a car that has historically German origins repulsive, then that's fine. There are choices.

I know I would have an issue if a bottle of Maker's Mark Bourbon suddenly said "Distilled and Aged in New York City" - because Maker's Mark doesn't come from a big city in the northeast - it comes from a small town in Kentucky which has that allure of timelessness, and tradition deep in the American backbone.

"Quality; you know what it is yet you don't know what it is but that's self -contradictory. That some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality, but when you try to say what that quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof. There's nothing to talk about. But if you cannot say what Quality is, then how do you know what it is? How do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is …but what else are grades based on? Why else would people pay fortunes for some things and throw others in the trash pile? Obviously some things are better than others then what's the betterness? So round and round you go, spinning mental wheels and nowhere finding any place to get traction . What is Quality? What is it?"

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance; Robert M. Pirsig
I agree. It's not like the quality should suffer if the car is not made in Germany or not. Whether or not the car is made in Germany is more of a psychological thing
Old 09-06-2013, 10:34 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by petee1997
K-A, I see you are no more popular here than on the E Forum. You have become a troll and a bore.

As far as the parts in a Mercedes, it is irrelevant where they are made but rather the design and specifications. MB applies the same rigid quality control for all parts regardless where they are manufactured.

Like your dumb argument about the "rough" ride of the E. That is by design and not where the suspension was built. Suppliers have no autonomy on specs. Anyone with at least a room temperature IQ knows that.

As usual, you pontificate on things you know nothing about. Go away, you are like three day old fish.
And yet you follow me all over the car-net with nothing to fend my arguments, instead resorting to the losing "argument" of personal ad hominem tirades. And oh yeah, sure, if the crap ride in the E Class is by design then MB is designing crap. No other way around it.

Spine rattling over rough roads and floaty as an old Caddy through turns.... Where do I sign up?

Apl: I very well get that and fully understand it might be more psychology based, but I simply wouldn't buy an MB with almost half Chinese parts and 25% less German parts than its closest competitor. Especially when I feel like it's at least 25% less quality of a car.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Originally Posted by K-A
And yet you follow me all over the car-net with nothing to fend my arguments, instead resorting to the losing "argument" of personal ad hominem tirades. And oh yeah, sure, if the crap ride in the E Class is by design then MB is designing crap. No other way around it.

Spine rattling over rough roads and floaty as an old Caddy through turns.... Where do I sign up?

Apl: I very well get that and fully understand it might be more psychology based, but I simply wouldn't buy an MB with almost half Chinese parts and 25% less German parts than its closest competitor. Especially when I feel like it's at least 25% less quality of a car.
I am a member of this forum and drive two MB cars. I belong here. That is more than I can say for you.

I really like the line from "Joyride" ...K-A = Know it All. How fitting!

Last edited by petee1997; 09-07-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2010 W212 E550 Grey CPO
Originally Posted by K-A

You have become more and more negative about the W212 and MB in general over time. I have kept my mouth shut this whole time but I think it's getting very tiring to read. Sometimes you need to have forum etiquette and be a little tactful when you're not at home-field.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:05 AM

C55 / S550 / Lexus IS300 (sold) / C63 (Sold) / SL500 (Sold) / Lambo Gallardo (RIP)
Originally Posted by K-A
You give me a choice of German or Chinese parts and I'll choose German every time, I'll pay more for it too (isn't that the entire point of an imported prestigious brand?). Sourced from China and made in Mexico? Uhh, yeah you better discount the price of the car then, even if it was conceived in a German building.

HAHAHA funniest thing about this is BMW makes their car frames in CHINA! The most important part of the car. The chinese even use the same frames for their own branded cars (i swear it, look it up) i forget the brands but they look alot like BMW's

http://en.brilliance-auto.com/chanpi...status=1&mid=3

5 Series anyone?

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...hina-5-series/

LOL. Mercedes would NEVER do this. Guess when you have a car that is 95% plastic inside , guess a 5 year old chinese kid is a better financial choice. forget the made in china frame, just make the whole thing there right?
Old 10-14-2013, 04:33 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Chinese manufacturers rip off everyone, BMW doesn't "share" their frames with outsiders much if at all. Mercedes actually shares their frames with far more manufacturers across the board, many of their previous model "frames" (chassis) running around on other manufacturers cars.

The frames of BMW's are stronger than M-B frames, factually/statistically speaking anyway, and BMW actually manufacturing Chinese models in China is like M-B/BMW making American intended cars in America. If M-B isn't already ramping up on Chinese production for China based cars, then they will when they actually start getting competitive in market share in China.

Last edited by K-A; 10-14-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
How do you explain why BMW did not make the list of the seven safest cars? MB had two.

Again more useless noise coming from Mr. Know it All i.e. KA
Old 10-14-2013, 02:00 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

My 5 Series is rated as safer than my old E Classes via various testers so that's what matters to me.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:11 PM

C55 / S550 / Lexus IS300 (sold) / C63 (Sold) / SL500 (Sold) / Lambo Gallardo (RIP)
Originally Posted by K-A
Chinese manufacturers rip off everyone, BMW doesn't "share" their frames with outsiders much if at all. Mercedes actually shares their frames with far more manufacturers across the board, many of their previous model "frames" (chassis) running around on other manufacturers cars.

The frames of BMW's are stronger than M-B frames, factually/statistically speaking anyway, and BMW actually manufacturing Chinese models in China is like M-B/BMW making American intended cars in America. If M-B isn't already ramping up on Chinese production for China based cars, then they will when they actually start getting competitive in market share in China.
It's funny how I just showed proof that the frames are made in China and bmw is going to be exporting their made in China BMWs to other countries and now he is all of a sudden defending that they need to make it in China. Lol and Mercedes sharing frames? Ya their old w210 frames and transmissions with the Chrysler 300 and C32 engine and parts on the Crossfire but at least that was when Mercedes was merged with them and it was an AMERICAN company. And yes Mercedes SUVs are made here in the USA at a time when Mercedes was merged with a USA company so why not build some in the USA? To compare China to American built is both disrespectful and retarded at the same time. But again there is not ONE PERSON that has backed u up not to mention u seem to always claim stats that you can't list or proove lol. You can take your 95% plastic car to the BMW forum with your "safer than MB frame" that was made in China lol. I really don't care what EU country or Latin country builds my car. EU as a whole build superior cars so I'm sure no matter what country it comes from in the EU I trust they put in their best if not better than the Germans and Latins are very hard working people and they love trucks so I would be at ease knowing if I was driving a Latin build Benz.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:52 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Like I said, if M-B can attain enough growth/volume in China they will probably do the same (if they aren't already). BMW AG for better or worser are leading the auto industry in business practice, while M-B lag far behind with a trailing stock, diminishing market value compared to their peers (recent analysis valued it at half of what BMW is worth, which shows a catastrophic dent to what was once the most valuable Luxury automotive brand) and lots of investor scrutiny due to following their competitors' leads instead of leading them, not to mention vastly trailing profitability/margins.

The F10 frame is 30% stiffer than the stiffest M-B frame before the W222 came out (which in itself is barely stiffer than the F10 frame), so who cares where it's made (Germany, btw). The links you provided don't say anything more than BMW supplying LONG-WHEELBASE (only a China model right now) Chinese based 5 Series to possibly surrounding areas, as it's effective considering their booming business out there (no different than M-B supplying American made M-B's to America, let's not forget rumors about Mexican M-B production listed in this very thread). And don't discount Chinese assembly, it's far more efficient than U.S assembly, which frankly doesn't have the greatest track record. There's no proof that BMW makes the 5 Series "frame" from China because that proof doesn't exist, as it's false.

M-B have their chassis' riding under various Dodge/Chrysler cars and the ML chassis basis is under the current Jeep GC. They are either currently or in the future sharing platforms/drivetrains with Nissan-Renault-Infiniti, not to mention drive trains. There are more cars you'll see M-B components in or under which are escaping me at the moment (Tesla being another, as Daimler has a vested interest).

....Oh, and of course Mercedes' components being under various manufacturers cars isn't enough, they actually HAVE got the wheels in motion for sharing platforms with their Chinese partner (Daimler has more "share" partnerships across the automotive board than about anybody, btw) BAIC:

Mercedes considering sharing platforms with China partner
Read more at http://www.leftlanenews.com/mercedes...w7tRqrrDVyK.99

Oh, then there's this, confirming what I already told you:

Capacity Expansion

"Daimler will also increase its production capacity of Mercedes cars in China. It currently imports nearly half of its cars, and therefore ends up paying a hefty 25% excise duty. By expanding its Chinese capacity, Mercedes will reduce the number of imported cars to nearly one-third of its total sales, cutting costs and helping Daimler compete more effectively with its rivals in terms of price."

From this article:
Mercedes Emulates Audi in China's Booming Luxury Cars Market
http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...luxury-ca.aspx

Class dismissed.

Last edited by K-A; 10-14-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E350 BlueTec, 2011 VW Jetta TDI
I'd just like to add that despite the F10's so called higher % of Made in Germany parts look at all these issues the F10 is plagued with:

1. Consolidated list of F10 Problems.
2. Run Flat Tire Failures.
3. Navigation issues.

My 2013 E350BT with it's alleged 40% Made In China parts have been flawless after almost 20,000 miles.
It's NAV screen may be smaller than the F10 but it's performance has been faultless.

My 2010 BMW 335D on the other hand with it's higher % of Made In Germany parts started giving me problems after 65,000 miles with Injector failure (Bosh Made), ECU (DDE) had to be replaced, Intake Manifold had to be replaced and cylinder head had to be cleaned off carbon build-up with a total costs of over $13,000.00!
After that I quickly traded it in for the E350BT!

So Mr K-A is welcomed to keep his F10 + all it's issues while I won't go near another BMW (Bring More Worries) and am happy with my M-B.

At least with M-B each model is distinct in design unlike BMW where the F10 looks like a bloated F30 and a smaller 7 Series.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:20 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by DC-IT
I'd just like to add that despite the F10's so called higher % of Made in Germany parts look at all these issues the F10 is plagued with:

1. Consolidated list of F10 Problems.
2. Run Flat Tire Failures.
3. Navigation issues.

My 2013 E350BT with it's alleged 40% Made In China parts have been flawless after almost 20,000 miles.
It's NAV screen may be smaller than the F10 but it's performance has been faultless.

My 2010 BMW 335D on the other hand with it's higher % of Made In Germany parts started giving me problems after 65,000 miles with Injector failure (Bosh Made), ECU (DDE) had to be replaced, Intake Manifold had to be replaced and cylinder head had to be cleaned off carbon build-up with a total costs of over $13,000.00!
After that I quickly traded it in for the E350BT!

So Mr K-A is welcomed to keep his F10 + all it's issues while I won't go near another BMW (Bring More Worries) and am happy with my M-B.

At least with M-B each model is distinct in design unlike BMW where the F10 looks like a bloated F30 and a smaller 7 Series.
F10 issues have been about all resolved by 2013 models and there have been many mechanical and technological improvements applied to the cars since then. Early models had heavy teething issues, yes.

All of my M-B's had enough finish or mechanical issues to get me into M-B loaners very early on in my experiences with them. My F10 has actually been my most reliable/quality new car to date, so far.

The 2013 iDrive Navigation is VASTLY superior to my 2011 E's navigation. '13 BMW's got a much enhanced iDrive which works superbly and in my opinion truly makes COMAND look and feel Atari-grade ancient. The 2014 5 Series LCI (facelift) models also get a once-again improved Nav and interface with a touchpad which is apparently even more excellent.

The E Class Chinese part content was refuted in another thread and I may have been off base on that. 2010/2011 E Classes had a separate sticker stating only 50-55% German content and most of the rest Chinese, while when M-B moved to the new MSRP window stickers in 2012 all of a sudden it showed 73% German content on the window sticker itself, comparable with the 5 Series.

Maybe there's some funny business going on there, maybe not, maybe I'm remembering it wrong (99% sure I'm not as it was an issue to me when I was seeing that separate 50-55% sticker on both of my 2010/2011 E350's when acquiring, then going next door to BMW and seeing 75% on the 535i) but I digress for the sake of the forum and assume the E and 5 have basically the same German part content.

Last edited by K-A; 10-14-2013 at 10:24 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S class not made in Germany?