S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Run Flats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 09:01 AM

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts
2021 Cirrus Silver S580 AMG, 2020 Polar White GLE350
Thanks for all of your efforts, Chucky Miracle Worker! Now waiting to see what MB will make available for the 2015 S 20" multi spoke wheel.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by TwinCam
Thanks for all of your efforts, Chucky Miracle Worker! Now waiting to see what MB will make available for the 2015 S 20" multi spoke wheel.
I also would love the 20" Design in a 19" (with non runflats).

I think it would ride great, look great, and it essentially, any and all S Class drivers want that perfect balance.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 312 Likes on 215 Posts
2022 EQS580
I just sent a text to the assistant sales manager and told him that I saw a new approved list of non RFT's from MBUSA for the new S550. I also indicated that MB has backed off from their stance that there is no approved non RFT for the 20 inch wheels and now have one. Here is my complete text:

"Brian, yesterday I saw a list of approved non run flat tires for the new S550 on a Mercedes Forum. I continue to hear about problems with RFT’s. On this list, MBUSA has backed off from their stance that there is no approved non RFT for the 20 inch wheels and now do have a Dunlop tire approved non RFT. I am seriously considering going with a change to an All Season non RFT for my 18 inch standard wheels along with a Tirefit kit when my car arrives at your dealership.
I welcome your comments about this."

It will be interesting to see his reply.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes S550
My fronts were supposed to be here yesterday with the rears, but they for some reason have been delayed until tomorrow... :-(
Old 03-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by Kratos-TM
My fronts were supposed to be here yesterday with the rears, but they for some reason have been delayed until tomorrow... :-(
Don't these days feel as long as the days when you were waiting for the car itself?

You must feel like you are getting a brand new car again!
Old 03-11-2014, 03:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 S550, 2011 E350 Cabriolet, Asgard Mothership
Kratos:
Is it fair to say that no matter how the tires compare, they will seem better than what you had? I say that as that newness reported in your initial review (the honeymoon period if you will) masked some deeper concerns you found later. I think simple confirmation bias will say that after you spent some cash on the new tires, they will be the best things since sliced bread. I am sure you will be objective in your review but I am sure the desire to be objective will always need to be in your mind.

I did verify on mine that when I pick it up in Stuttgart on Tuesday, it will have run-flats. So, I get to experience the run flats for myself for two weeks. After than I can see how I like the ride and follow up with MBUSA to see if I want to switch to the recommended Dunlops. One note is that it looks like the Dunlops in the MBUSA email are summer tires. That is not an issue for me here in Florida but it might be for others. Dunlop's site said you should not even drive on the tires when it is freezing.

Tom
7 Days to Stuttgart
Old 03-11-2014, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 S550 4Matic, 2016 GLC300 4Matic , 2018 Porsche Panamera 4 E-Hybrid
Actually Mercedes doesn't recommend driving on summer tires below 45 degrees unless you don't mind losing traction and greater braking distance.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:17 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by TomS
Kratos:
Is it fair to say that no matter how the tires compare, they will seem better than what you had? I say that as that newness reported in your initial review (the honeymoon period if you will) masked some deeper concerns you found later. I think simple confirmation bias will say that after you spent some cash on the new tires, they will be the best things since sliced bread. I am sure you will be objective in your review but I am sure the desire to be objective will always need to be in your mind.

I did verify on mine that when I pick it up in Stuttgart on Tuesday, it will have run-flats. So, I get to experience the run flats for myself for two weeks. After than I can see how I like the ride and follow up with MBUSA to see if I want to switch to the recommended Dunlops. One note is that it looks like the Dunlops in the MBUSA email are summer tires. That is not an issue for me here in Florida but it might be for others. Dunlop's site said you should not even drive on the tires when it is freezing.

Tom
7 Days to Stuttgart
Actually if you go back to my review in the suspension section, I voiced the same concern that I've voiced here on this thread. In fact, here is a copy and paste from my initial review with no editing..... "But my only gripe is that I feel the ride to be a little rougher than I was anticipating (on comfort setting), still smoothe, but just not exactly where I wanted it. This is mostly felt on what I call the “gritty” roads….those roads with a rough surface. You can feel the surface too much and there’s some road noise from the tires being made too. But I don’t blame this on the Airmatic. I actually think this is a result of the 20” run flats." .........When I wrote my review, the compliments to the car were based off facts, and not from a hyped/excited emotional perspective.

Don't let what's been said on this thread make it seem I still don't think this car is better than slice bread. I still do!!! This car makes me smile everytime I go into the garage and look at her, and she is BY FAR the Best Car In The World! And I am still "honeymooning" with the same enthusiasm as I did the first day. :-) :-) :-) ....Us griping about the run-flats is about the run-flats, NOT the car..... and I think a lot of people are getting this confused as they read this thread and read through Chucky and I's talk on the tires....

Last edited by Kratos-TM; 03-11-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Actually if you go back to my review in the suspension section, I voiced the same concern that I've voiced here on this thread. In fact, here is a copy and paste from my initial review with no editing..... "But my only gripe is that I feel the ride to be a little rougher than I was anticipating (on comfort setting), still smoothe, but just not exactly where I wanted it. This is mostly felt on what I call the “gritty” roads….those roads with a rough surface. You can feel the surface too much and there’s some road noise from the tires being made too. But I don’t blame this on the Airmatic. I actually think this is a result of the 20” run flats." .........When I wrote my review, the compliments to the car were based off facts, and not from a hyped/excited emotional perspective.

Don't let what's been said on this thread make it seem I still don't think this car is better than slice bread. I still do!!! This car makes me smile everytime I go into the garage and look at her, and she is BY FAR the Best Car In The World! And I am still "honeymooning" with the same enthusiasm as I did the first day. :-) :-) :-) ....Us griping about the run-flats is about the run-flats, NOT the car..... and I think a lot of people are getting this confused as they read this thread and read through Chucky and I's talk on the tires....
Well Said!
Old 03-11-2014, 07:09 PM

2012 C300 Sport 4MATIC (current) 2006 C280 Elegance 4MATIC (sold)
Wow, very happy for you guys. K-A will probably just as excited about the news considering him and I feel the same way about the ride quality of newer sport package Benzes and now adding insult to injury with the RFTs. Good on you guys for sticking to your guns because it was enough for MB USA to sing to a different tune. If more people chime in with the same determination as Chucky and Kratos did then hopefully these stupid run flats will be replaced with non run flats as an OEM part from the factory.

The cons far outweigh the pros when it comes to run flat tires so why would manufacturers go ahead with such a thing especially when comfort and refinement is a goal MB strives for.

To celebrate this victory if anybody has a W222 S550 in the Toronto area then come take me for a spin in your car as off lease C Classes will be all I can ever afford when it comes to MB
Old 03-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by Khan28
Wow, very happy for you guys. K-A will probably just as excited about the news considering him and I feel the same way about the ride quality of newer sport package Benzes and now adding insult to injury with the RFTs. Good on you guys for sticking to your guns because it was enough for MB USA to sing to a different tune. If more people chime in with the same determination as Chucky and Kratos did then hopefully these stupid run flats will be replaced with non run flats as an OEM part from the factory.

The cons far outweigh the pros when it comes to run flat tires so why would manufacturers go ahead with such a thing especially when comfort and refinement is a goal MB strives for.

To celebrate this victory if anybody has a W222 S550 in the Toronto area then come take me for a spin in your car as off lease C Classes will be all I can ever afford when it comes to MB
Just to clarify, I, nor Kratos, have ever commented on anything BUT the tires. You and K-A continue to add in "the ride quality of newer sport package benzes".

That isn't what we are saying. It is 100% about the tire. I have NO OTHER PROBLEMS with this car.

Just wanted to make that clear.

As for what excites K-A...

Last edited by Chucky300; 03-11-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Chucky300
Just to clarify, I, nor Kratos, have ever commented on anything BUT the tires. You and K-A continue to add in "the ride quality of newer sport package benzes". That isn't what we are saying. It is 100% about the tire. I have NO OTHER PROBLEMS with this car. Just wanted to make that clear. As for what excites K-A...
Glad you point that out...

When I see K-A's silly posts about how somehow BMW's ride is better with RFT's than MB without I chuckle. There are thousands of posts on the BMW forums *****ing about the RFT's. BMW owners making the switch to non-RFT's sing praises about their improved ride quality, including me.

It is just the tires. Nothing else.

Congrats on getting the dumb tires replaced!
Btw, when I looked at your rims it seemed that are several nicks on the edge from tools used to replace the tires. Without those bubbles that wouldn't have been the case. Maybe ask them to get you a new set of wheels if that's the case.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 S550, 2011 E350 Cabriolet, Asgard Mothership
Actually if you go back to my review in the suspension section, I voiced the same concern that I've voiced here on this thread. In fact, here is a copy and paste from my initial review with no editing..... "But my only gripe is that I feel the ride to be a little rougher than I was anticipating (on comfort setting), still smoothe, but just not exactly where I wanted it. This is mostly felt on what I call the “gritty” roads….those roads with a rough surface. You can feel the surface too much and there’s some road noise from the tires being made too. But I don’t blame this on the Airmatic. I actually think this is a result of the 20” run flats." .........When I wrote my review, the compliments to the car were based off facts, and not from a hyped/excited emotional perspective. Don't let what's been said on this thread make it seem I still don't think this car is better than slice bread. I still do!!! This car makes me smile everytime I go into the garage and look at her, and she is BY FAR the Best Car In The World! And I am still "honeymooning" with the same enthusiasm as I did the first day. :-) :-) :-) ....Us griping about the run-flats is about the run-flats, NOT the car..... and I think a lot of people are getting this confused as they read this thread and read through Chucky and I's talk on the tires....
That makes sense. I understood it was just the tires. I can't imagine anyone associating the tires with anything less than your love for the car. That has been very obvious to me anyway. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:23 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Glad you point that out...

When I see K-A's silly posts about how somehow BMW's ride is better with RFT's than MB without I chuckle. There are thousands of posts on the BMW forums *****ing about the RFT's. BMW owners making the switch to non-RFT's sing praises about their improved ride quality, including me.

It is just the tires. Nothing else.

Congrats on getting the dumb tires replaced!
Btw, when I looked at your rims it seemed that are several nicks on the edge from tools used to replace the tires. Without those bubbles that wouldn't have been the case. Maybe ask them to get you a new set of wheels if that's the case.
I saw that too. I'm unable to positively be sure if the scuffs didn't happen when i hit a pothole. I might have put those scuffs on in the process and thus I won't be able to really claim it against the dealer.

In any event, I'm covered by a warranty so if it ever cracks, I can put the claim through.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by TomS
That makes sense. I understood it was just the tires. I can't imagine anyone associating the tires with anything less than your love for the car. That has been very obvious to me anyway. Thanks.
K-A would attribute anything obsolete as a general attack on the car.

He does this to spark conversation, and make himself the center of attention.

A lot of people call this self consciousness.

I just call it a *****.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:41 AM

2014 Mercedes S550
I want to add something from a different perspective before the tire swapping happens..... This morning I was feeling on the new tires and checking them out. Although they are not RFT's, they are not a lot of tire either. And because of this coupled with the task of supporting a heavy car, these suckers are stiff, heavy, and tough. I couldn't even manipulate the sidewalls.

This made me open up my mind to the possibility that us 20" guys have a chance that we will see minimum gains. Now I'm optimistic about the switch (and it could be great as we expect), but my expectations are realistic as well. If the ride doesn't improve much, I will be HONEST. The grand I chunked out for these will NOT cause me to be biased.

Last edited by Kratos-TM; 03-12-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 312 Likes on 215 Posts
2022 EQS580
Kratos, you are a great guy. So is Chucky. On the other hand, you can call me "chicken little". I have not heard back from the assistant sales manager after I sent him a text message about my concern with the RFT's yesterday. I have a feeling that he has nothing to add since we talked about this over a week ago. He told me at that time that Mercedes would not install a bad RFT for the S550 and that I should try them out. I do not want to press the issue much at this point. I may just bite the bullet and try out the RFT's on the 18 inch wheels before I determine if they are unacceptable. Time will tell.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:16 PM
Banned

2014 S550
I want to add something from a different perspective before the tire swapping happens..... This morning I was feeling on the new tires and checking them out. Although they are not RFT's, they are not a lot of tire either. And because of this coupled with the task of supporting a heavy car, these suckers are stiff, heavy, and tough. I couldn't even manipulate the sidewalls.

This made me open up my mind to the possibility that us 20" guys have a chance that we will see minimum gains. Now I'm optimistic about the switch (and it could be great as we expect), but my expectations are realistic as well. If the ride doesn't improve much, I will be HONEST. The grand I chunked out for these will NOT cause me to be biased.
Kratos, I can honestly say you live in my brain.

This morning, I drove the Audi A8L with 19" an regular all season tires.

They are with thick rubber - nothing low profile about them.

I must say, I felt more of a smoothness, but the craters and road hazards STILL translated into the car.

It is very possible we may see only a marginal improvement when we make the switch.

I am confidant though that an improvement, as little or as great, will still be better than what we have now. The softness of the NON runflat tires alone will initiate a better drive.

20" will always have a sporty ride, but what we have now, is quite a bit TOO sporty.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:16 PM
Banned

2014 S550
MB Manhattan is putting my tires on a week from tomorrow (Thursday)

Getting a loaner car for the day.

Brad
Old 03-12-2014, 01:29 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
The fronts have come in. Now I'm debating to let the local tire shop (ma and pa) put them on so I can drive on them today, or wait till I can get to Jackson to MB for the switch (mostly likely Friday). Do I trust my 120K brand new baby to be lifted off the ground at the local shop.......oh the thought makes me cringe a little.....lol.

And another thought is the tire pressure monitors. I've seen idiots not knowing what they're doing mess those up...
Old 03-12-2014, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S 550
The fronts have come in. Now I'm debating to let the local tire shop (ma and pa) put them on so I can drive on them today, or wait till I can get to Jackson to MB for the switch (mostly likely Friday). Do I trust my 120K brand new baby to be lifted off the ground at the local shop.......oh the thought makes me cringe a little.....lol.

And another thought is the tire pressure monitors. I've seen idiots not knowing what they're doing mess those up...
Tough choice, I would tend to only go to someone I trust or be right next to them as they do the work and question anything they are about to do if I had concerns. Ask them how they prevent damage to the rim while removing and installing the tire, what is their written policy on covering damage to customers wheels, and take close up pics before the work.

I am rather particular about who touches our cars, as I am particular about keeping the car looking its best and don't like scuffs, scratches or swirls.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:43 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by DaveVY
I am rather particular about who touches our cars, as I am particular about keeping the car looking its best and don't like scuffs, scratches or swirls.
You and me both Dave.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:44 PM
Banned

2014 S550

If you trust the shop you should do it today.

FYI I trust my mom and pop shop to change my wheels off the car for winter, and / or change my tires if there is a flat.

They never had a problem with the tire pressure monitor system. Just ask if they are alright with that element and you shouldn't have a problem.

If they don't know how to put the TPMS on properly - they aren't going to try to score the job - it isn't anything thats very profitable for them anyway enough to lie.

If I were you - I'd go to Ma and Pa. And I say this because I do it all the time (i don't suggest what I do not do)
Old 03-12-2014, 01:48 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by Chucky300
If you trust the shop you should do it today.

FYI I trust my mom and pop shop to change my wheels off the car for winter, and / or change my tires if there is a flat.

They never had a problem with the tire pressure monitor system. Just ask if they are alright with that element and you shouldn't have a problem.

If they don't know how to put the TPMS on properly - they aren't going to try to score the job - it isn't anything thats very profitable for them anyway enough to lie.

If I were you - I'd go to Ma and Pa. And I say this because I do it all the time (i don't suggest what I do not do)
Outside of the TPMS, what else could they do wrong besides scruff the rim.....??? Well that by itself is enough to sweat.....LOL.....these wheels cost as much as a used car.....LOL
Old 03-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Outside of the TPMS, what else could they do wrong besides scruff the rim.....??? Well that by itself is enough to sweat.....LOL.....these wheels cost as much as a used car.....LOL
To be honest - a dealer can scuff a rim too. Humans are Humans.

I physically saw a tech in MB Manhattan when the were at the 41st street location back an SL600 into a Maybach by mistake. NO ONE wanted to call either owner. It happened in the service bay. Some kid was moving the car, and turned the radio up loud, because you know, its cool to do that, and didn't hear everyone shout STOP STOP STOP.

So my point is - don't get an SL600 or a Maybach and these problems won't happen.

Hah -check if they are ok with the TPMS - if they are, i'd stick with them and enjoy the drive tonight.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Run Flats?