Random Impressions on the W222

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,237 Likes on 2,017 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Random Impressions on the W222

Having had the chance to explore the low-end S350 as well as nicely loaded Designo S500 in Germany and now compare that to the demo S550 here in the US, here are a couple random thoughts:

1. Never get the standard leather, immediate deja vu of the W221. It looks and feels less luxurious.
2. Designo interiors are absolutely stunning (I saw the porcelain white with dark blue combo/ leather dash etc. On par with a Bentley.
3. The nappa leather option the demo has is a must at minimum. The leather is better than the Nappa on our 750li, but I don't like the standard leather look of the MB-tex dash combo. Invest in exclusive nappa to get the most of the car.
4. Our demo had the $3000 rear seat package (325) and the seats are better than the previous S, even behind the driver side. I felt that I can finally adjust the backrest properly to sit the way I like (am 6'3"). The down pillows are about identical to was in the Maybach 57 we had on loan many years back.
5. The car we had was a standard Airmatic, but drove quite nicely on sport. Very similar to the W221; perhaps more planted.
6. The cabin was much quieter, even at high speeds and over rough roads. Felt more insulated.
7. While ugly on photos, the steering wheel looked quite nice in person and felt great, even when holding it at the fat bottom.
8. Lane assist is much more aggressive than on our 2013 SL
9. Love the massage and dynamic seats. Best in class. The hot stone massage is very defined and strong (better than the great massage functions on the Audi A8, BMW active seat "bud-mover" massage is a joke compared to both).
10. I hate the run flats on our BMW; worst thing on the car. Loud and bumpy, it diminishes the luxury ride. Not so on the W222. Very smooth and quiet, MB has done a much better job calibrating the suspension to the tires. Still am glad that we switched the run flats from our SL to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
11. Love the dash. The interface finally has caught up, away from the ancient command look. I would love to see alternate gauge designs that could be loaded as a software update.
12. I know that lots of you prefer black on black cars, but I am amazed go how much more boring the interior looks in black. It almost hides the flowing shapes and feels somewhat less elegant, especially when paired with boring walnut. Just personal taste of course, but I will go for the same interior we have in the SL (porcelain white with black and black ash)
13: Spend the extra $1k for the 20" wheels on the Sport+one package. This is a big car that just looks better with bigger wheels.

Wishes:
I would love to have ABC with 4matic. ABC is so much better than Airmatic.

I am curious about MBC and would love to take it around our lousy Minneapolis streets to see if it makes a difference. Personally, it people get a RWD model, this is a MUST as the actual cost of MBC is only $300.
I paid $4100 for the stock ABC and MBC is $4400. Even without the marketing hype, it's the best suspension on the market on any car.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
IMO designo interior or exclusive Nappa really elevates the interior and is worth every penny.
I on the other hand think black interiors are elegant and this have them on my GL63 and the ordered S550. I know color is a personal preference.

20 inch wheels - love the bigger size but really dislike multi spoke wheels and thus opted for the 5 spoke 19 inch wheels. I wish they had an option for 20 inch 5 spoke wheels.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sam9187
IMO designo interior or exclusive Nappa really elevates the interior and is worth every penny.
I on the other hand think black interiors are elegant and this have them on my GL63 and the ordered S550. I know color is a personal preference.

20 inch wheels - love the bigger size but really dislike multi spoke wheels and thus opted for the 5 spoke 19 inch wheels. I wish they had an option for 20 inch 5 spoke wheels.
I hear you on the black; after all our 750li is saphire black with black nappa and black ash

Right now I just really love how the light colors bring out the design details and airiness of the cabin.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I hear you on the black; after all our 750li is saphire black with black nappa and black ash

Right now I just really love how the light colors bring out the design details and airiness of the cabin.
If I did not have young kids I would have gone for exclusive porcelain interior. It looks spectacular.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:37 AM

Received 66 Likes on 22 Posts
W223 S580, Range Rover Supercharged LWB, Audi A8L, BMW 750i, Porsche 911 Carrera S (997)
For those of you who are curious, the yet to be listed price for exclusive nappa is $4450 (cross stitching) plus you have to get the exclusive wood trim option which is $950.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by sam9187
What I don't understand is that the current designo Deep Sea Blue interior is $5,500 while in the past all designo interiors have been over $10,000.

I would find it hard to believe that the designo interiors have now gone down to $5,500.

Thus, when the designo interiors come out in CY2014, what will be the difference in the interior that justifies the $10,000 plus charge over the present Deep Sea Blue designo for $5,500.

I've asked this question and can't seem to find the answer although I have been told the designo interiors will continue to be over $10,000.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 10-07-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by Skerdian
For those of you who are curious, the yet to be listed price for exclusive nappa is $4450 (cross stitching) plus you have to get the exclusive wood trim option which is $950.
You also are forced to get the $1515 rear power seat with memory option. I learned this from MBUSA 2 months after I ordered.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Having had the chance to explore the low-end S350 as well as nicely loaded Designo S500 in Germany and now compare that to the demo S550 here in the US, here are a couple random thoughts:

1. Never get the standard leather, immediate deja vu of the W221. It looks and feels less luxurious.
2. Designo interiors are absolutely stunning (I saw the porcelain white with dark blue combo/ leather dash etc. On par with a Bentley.
3. The nappa leather option the demo has is a must at minimum. The leather is better than the Nappa on our 750li, but I don't like the standard leather look of the MB-tex dash combo. Invest in exclusive nappa to get the most of the car.
4. Our demo had the $3000 rear seat package (325) and the seats are better than the previous S, even behind the driver side. I felt that I can finally adjust the backrest properly to sit the way I like (am 6'3"). The down pillows are about identical to was in the Maybach 57 we had on loan many years back.
5. The car we had was a standard Airmatic, but drove quite nicely on sport. Very similar to the W221; perhaps more planted.
6. The cabin was much quieter, even at high speeds and over rough roads. Felt more insulated.
7. While ugly on photos, the steering wheel looked quite nice in person and felt great, even when holding it at the fat bottom.
8. Lane assist is much more aggressive than on our 2013 SL
9. Love the massage and dynamic seats. Best in class. The hot stone massage is very defined and strong (better than the great massage functions on the Audi A8, BMW active seat "bud-mover" massage is a joke compared to both).
10. I hate the run flats on our BMW; worst thing on the car. Loud and bumpy, it diminishes the luxury ride. Not so on the W222. Very smooth and quiet, MB has done a much better job calibrating the suspension to the tires. Still am glad that we switched the run flats from our SL to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
11. Love the dash. The interface finally has caught up, away from the ancient command look. I would love to see alternate gauge designs that could be loaded as a software update.
12. I know that lots of you prefer black on black cars, but I am amazed go how much more boring the interior looks in black. It almost hides the flowing shapes and feels somewhat less elegant, especially when paired with boring walnut. Just personal taste of course, but I will go for the same interior we have in the SL (porcelain white with black and black ash)
13: Spend the extra $1k for the 20" wheels on the Sport+one package. This is a big car that just looks better with bigger wheels.

Wishes:
I would love to have ABC with 4matic. ABC is so much better than Airmatic.

I am curious about MBC and would love to take it around our lousy Minneapolis streets to see if it makes a difference. Personally, it people get a RWD model, this is a MUST as the actual cost of MBC is only $300.
I paid $4100 for the stock ABC and MBC is $4400. Even without the marketing hype, it's the best suspension on the market on any car.

You've confirmed EVERY single thought I had. And I'm glad I ordered the setup I did. Thanks so much for this post.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LovinMercedes
What I don't understand is that the current designo Deep Sea Blue interior is $5,500 while in the past all designo interiors have been over $10,000.

I would find it hard to believe that the designo interiors have now gone down to $5,500.

Thus, when the designo interiors come out in CY2014, what will be the difference in the interior that justifies the $10,000 plus charge over the present Deep Sea Blue designo for $5,500.

I've asked this question and can't seem to find the answer although I have been told the designo interiors will continue to be over $10,000.
I remember the Designo packages to be $10k+, but those include the Designo exterior paint as well. Perhaps that is why the price varies?

Used to have a Mocca Black with Expresso interior. Really nice combo...