S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Finally got up close and personal with W222....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 03:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes S550
What color were they K-A (you might have answered this in the first post)? I think the lighter colors like silk and porcelain show off the diamond beauty better than the darker colors do. I don't see the point in getting the diamonds with black leather. They get lost.

To get exclusive is $4450.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:49 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by Kratos-TM
What color were they K-A (you might have answered this in the first post)? I think the lighter colors like silk and porcelain show off the diamond beauty better than the darker colors do. I don't see the point in getting the diamonds with black leather. They get lost.

To get exclusive is $4450.
Yeah, it was all black (the whole interior). The interior ambiance lights were set to a kind of rich ice blue that looked beautiful. The way they wrapped around the rear deck was when I started really coming around to just come around and truly fall for the interior. I always expect the best attention to detail from M-B and I'm glad to actually see M-B really starting that aspect up again on the interior here. The salesman was saying how much richer the interior looks with the two tone coloring which I'm sure will make a big difference, but considering how "old world rich" the interior design is, I think all black will be the most "sporty" if you want to call it that or "youthful" color package to get. Considering if I got the car I'd get it for what it's supposed to be, I'd probably go with a two tone black seats/beige-ish inserts combo and get the ultimate "classic richness" out of it.

The thing is that the dash didn't have the diamond stitching pattern, which kind of confused me as I assumed the seats and dash would both have it if they had that package? If that's the case then I don't know what seats I sat in were, but I KNOW they had extensive stitching-patterns on them and definitely were not flat surfaces. I just can't believe you don't get standard Nappa on the car.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:10 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by K-A
Yeah, it was all black (the whole interior). The interior ambiance lights were set to a kind of rich ice blue that looked beautiful. The way they wrapped around the rear deck was when I started really coming around to just come around and truly fall for the interior. I always expect the best attention to detail from M-B and I'm glad to actually see M-B really starting that aspect up again on the interior here. The salesman was saying how much richer the interior looks with the two tone coloring which I'm sure will make a big difference, but considering how "old world rich" the interior design is, I think all black will be the most "sporty" if you want to call it that or "youthful" color package to get. Considering if I got the car I'd get it for what it's supposed to be, I'd probably go with a two tone black seats/beige-ish inserts combo and get the ultimate "classic richness" out of it.

The thing is that the dash didn't have the diamond stitching pattern, which kind of confused me as I assumed the seats and dash would both have it if they had that package? If that's the case then I don't know what seats I sat in were, but I KNOW they had extensive stitching-patterns on them and definitely were not flat surfaces. I just can't believe you don't get standard Nappa on the car.

That doesn't make sense. If it's exclusive, it's supposed to have the dash stitching too...
Old 10-16-2013, 04:16 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Interesting. Then it wasn't Exclusive (I can only imagine the Exclusive seats in that case). I'm assuming probably the "middle" option you mentioned. The seat pattern definitely had a lot of design stitching to it (i.e not flat slabs of leather).

I guess the good news of no Nappa on the seats if you get an S Class like that would be that you'd have the most durable interior combo that the car comes with. Usually cheaper leather is more rugged in terms of wear and an MB Tex wrapped dash would probably be as durable as the bare plastic underneath it, requiring no extra care or maintenance. For long term owners, a full Nappa interior in a car of that size with all Nappa surfaces would probably take a bit of care to keep looking perfect.

EDIT:

Yeah, it had the "horizontal" lines you mentioned on it, so it must have been the "middle" option.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by K-A

I have black exclusive leather - will see how that turns out.

Its interesting the dash did not have the diamond pattern - makes me think it wasn't exclusive. I know all demos have Nappa upholstery.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:26 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by sam9187
I have black exclusive leather - will see how that turns out.

Its interesting the dash did not have the diamond pattern - makes me think it wasn't exclusive. I know all demos have Nappa upholstery.
Yeah looks like it was definitely the Nappa but the option under the Exclusive.

The Exclusive should look and feel stunning I'm sure!
Old 10-16-2013, 05:07 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
I could be wrong about the black exclusive though. It may be absolutely stunning in person.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
I could be wrong about the black exclusive though. It may be absolutely stunning in person.
Black doesn't picture well but it is elegant, deep and beautiful in person. I have designo black in my GL63 and it is gorgeous. I am hoping the S550 exclusive black to be the same.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
14 S8, 07 E63 Designo, on order 14 G63
I can't wait for S63 to hit the market (perfect replacement for my E AMG). I came across the w222; the car has a serious road presence.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,319 Likes on 2,055 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
That doesn't make sense. If it's exclusive, it's supposed to have the dash stitching too...
Unless there are cars on the lot that can be sold or are customer orders, there should be no demos with exclusive nappa in the US. Just the standard nappa option ($2.2k or so). No diamond stichung on any of these.
Even that option is quite nice and the leather is better than the BMW nappa (which at least is standard on the 7 series in the US).

As far as I know, the exclusive nappa is the same leather quality and stiching pattern as the Designo interiors (while Designo includes more upgrades than just the leather, of course)
Old 10-18-2013, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
I stopped at the dealership tonight for the release get-together and I was blown away by the interior....designo no less! I really didn't want to leave the backseat, the attention to detail, the comfort, the atmosphere, it was amazing. I love my W221 interior, but this was just another level entirely and pictures can not do it justice. I agree that the exterior is more understated in person than the pictures and more elegant than the outgoing model.

I'll probably CPO one in a couple years....I built out a S550 on the website to $145,000, that's AMG territory and too much for what I'd be willing to spend on a first-year base model that isn't really going to stand out as much as the W221 did, for better or worse, when it was new. A S65 just a few years old can be had for a steal these days...Of course, the new S65 is going to be something to behold!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:23 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
13's550/2000's430/13'gl63/'13's550/10's63
i just had the pleasure of sitting in one my friend just bought, the first sold in georgia in macon, the car is awsome in every way, the mood lighting, the stereo was awsome, it is what it is mercedes. ... awsome.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by Wolfman
As far as I know, the exclusive nappa is the same leather quality and stiching pattern as the Designo interiors (while Designo includes more upgrades than just the leather, of course)
Wolfman, do you know the other upgrades with the designo? No one seems to know the answer to this for 2014.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LovinMercedes
Wolfman, do you know the other upgrades with the designo? No one seems to know the answer to this for 2014.
It appears that they changed the Designo packaging a bit.

Normally you would have Designo Exterior/Interior combo for $10k+ which consisted of Designo-Only exterior paints, Designo-only hand-selected wood options (much better wood and grain quality), piano lacquer finish or a whole array of stone finishes - Non-US - (like blue-pearl granite), the full nappa leather package, including dash/doors (Designo-only color choices), ultrasuede headliner and Designo Badging.

Now if appears to be coming in piecemeal options: The only designo option I am aware of right now is the US Edition1 Designo interior or the European Edition1 one (the Deep Sea Blue/Silke Beige) and they appear to be color options only as compared to the exclusive Nappa.

There should be a boatload of Designo trim (wood/lacquer/stone) coming, but now it appears there are only the 2 Myrtle wood option available ($800) which can be had for on any car plus the added wood trim (which includes the wood on the back of the front seats is also available as a separate option ($950 exclusive trim package).
I am not sure about ultra suede headliner (dynamica). I think that's available with all exclusive Nappa leather

So from what I can tell, there are Designo options you can add to a non-Designo car.

I believe that this has been re-arranged to make space for the two upgraded S-Class sedan models yet to come: The S-Class Pullman and the S-Class Maybach (that's the XL model). Both will step up the interiors from the current S.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by Wolfman
It appears that they changed the Designo packaging a bit.

Normally you would have Designo Exterior/Interior combo for $10k+ which consisted of Designo-Only exterior paints, Designo-only hand-selected wood options (much better wood and grain quality), piano lacquer finish or a whole array of stone finishes - Non-US - (like blue-pearl granite), the full nappa leather package, including dash/doors (Designo-only color choices), ultrasuede headliner and Designo Badging.

Now if appears to be coming in piecemeal options: The only designo option I am aware of right now is the US Edition1 Designo interior or the European Edition1 one (the Deep Sea Blue/Silke Beige) and they appear to be color options only as compared to the exclusive Nappa.

There should be a boatload of Designo trim (wood/lacquer/stone) coming, but now it appears there are only the 2 Myrtle wood option available ($800) which can be had for on any car plus the added wood trim (which includes the wood on the back of the front seats is also available as a separate option ($950 exclusive trim package).
I am not sure about ultra suede headliner (dynamica). I think that's available with all exclusive Nappa leather

So from what I can tell, there are Designo options you can add to a non-Designo car.

I believe that this has been re-arranged to make space for the two upgraded S-Class sedan models yet to come: The S-Class Pullman and the S-Class Maybach (that's the XL model). Both will step up the interiors from the current S.
I was really hoping to figure this out because I was sure I wanted the designo interior. I found out a few days ago that the rest of the designo colors and options are not coming until model year 2015.

Hmmm...what to do now?
Old 10-19-2013, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LovinMercedes
I was really hoping to figure this out because I was sure I wanted the designo interior. I found out a few days ago that the rest of the designo colors and options are not coming until model year 2015.
Hmmm...what to do now?
Well, I would be patient as there are more options and interior choices coming down the line (like the Magic Sky panorama roof). Besides you have a beautiful 2012 Designo S to hold you over for another 6-9 months
Old 10-19-2013, 09:04 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
04 Lexus LS430
yes...what Wolfman said. Plus MY2015 is supposed to have heads up display and new 9G trans.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
i drove one today , sure its nice, didnt feel any different than our 2010 550 when it was new
Old 10-21-2013, 09:01 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

New M-B's I find drive always extremely similarly to the outgoing models, just slightly "screwed together more tightly". Which is exactly how the reviews so far describe the W222 as. I guess that can be a great or bad thing, depending on which perspective your coming from.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:49 AM

E-Class, Range Rover, Lamb
its amazing! get the rear executive seat package and its glorious!

Though my build came out to over 140k! ouch lol. Two of my e classes!

edit: considering getting this as my business car, like a private jet on wheels.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:33 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

That's an insane price.

Considering how ridiculous it's getting that at my height with long torso ratio I can't comfortably fit in any even mid-size Sedan (My W212 had too cramped frontal headroom for me and even my new 5er, although slightly better there still way too cramped for my head for me to feel completely safe) these days, I might have no choice but an S Class sized car (or 911 as I can ironically fit amazingly well headroom wise in that) in the future.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Too bad the 535i just came in last place in a comparo where the E350, CTS and A6 all spanked it.

M
Old 11-04-2013, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 428 Likes on 353 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Too bad the 535i just came in last place in a comparo where the E350, CTS and A6 all spanked it.

M

Ohlord.....:popcorn :: argue:
Old 11-05-2013, 08:15 AM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
Originally Posted by Germancar1

M
Link to the article please
Old 11-05-2013, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Its in the December issue of C&D, hasn't posted online yet.

M

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally got up close and personal with W222....