MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
I want to retrofit those tweeters.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 s550 White/Nut Brown
Originally Posted by investorsc
I finally have spent some time with my new S63 and it's 3D sound system. I knew I would lose some trunk space for the Sub. I knew the price tag. Yes, I love the LED accent lighted, spin opening high-end radiators (Tweeters) in the doors....

But is it REALLY that different from the already excellent Burmester that comes stock in the new S-Class? ...... 4 Words...Oh My GOD, YES!

I made it a point to take 6 CD's with me to the dealer for delivery, which included classical (Yes- I took 1812 Overture just for you guys (and gals)). Some Rock (Sammy Hagar- I can't drive 55 and HEAVY METAL), Some Pink Floyd (Pulse for great live songs), the incredible Lorenna McKennitt for her haunting, incredible vocal quality, a DVD (Armageddon Shuttle launch scene), Three Tenors, and an acoustic sampler.

When played in the standard Burmester- the sound was awesome. Other than equalization options, not a lot of bells and whistles. I felt an emptiness in the center area of the car about head level. It was as if there was a cloud behind my head to the right where the sound had a hole.... Still, a much better system to the B&O from last year.

Move over to the S63 and the 3D system... Turn on the car, and get ready to engage hyper drive....

Initial sampling was crisp and spot on for each genre. In playing with the setup screen options, there are 4 settings for the audio processor to work it's magic. There is a basic setting, a live, a concert, and a 3D option. (These are not their exact names, but this is the effect).... They were very reflective of the goal. The lowest option seemed quite flat and without presence. Live truly gave you the feeling of a live performance and you have great seats. The concert setting gave a greatly enhance image with more body, and a tad less acccent on the vocals.

Choose the 3D option, and prepare to be transported. The car seems to go into a digitally accurate correction, and squeeze every note out of the music. The car seems acoustically corrected that no matter where you place you head (and attached EARS), the location of the various speakers, tweeters,and bass sources seem to melt into a river of sound without the ability to locate any of the pieces producing it.

More to come, but this system seems to allow you to take your high end home sound system on the road with you when mount your chariot and leave the castle.....

I am EXTREMELY Satisfied with the cost of this add-on for what it provides. When you couple this with the hot stone massage on the way home on a cold winter night, it's good to make sure the safety features are engaged to shake the wheel, and brake you back into your lane when you begin to lose consciousness from the fun!
I tested out the 3D sound at my dealer last month too and agree 10000% with this review. I am a bit of an audiophile and always have been. My car is my haven away from kids, work, husband, etc LOL so I love having a great system in my car. I always upgrade my stereo in my cars but this is by far the best upgrade I have ever heard. My 2014 BMW with the newest system doesn't even come close.

I am happy to have paid the (steep) price tag for the upgrade on the 2016 MB I ordered. CANNOT wait to receive the car and enjoy the sound on my drives.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 S550 4MATIC
Thank you so much for this review! I just bought an S 63 with the High End system and it should be coming this week I can’t wait!!