S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

S63 AMG Bad A....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
I see a lot of Tesla S on the road and parked around town. I always check them out. Love the bodywork. The interior looks a bit cheap, with the big screen sort of just tacked on to the dash. I think Tesla gets a huge free pass because it's a radical car from a new company. If MB put a car out with an interior like that they'd get skewered.

Tesla still has growing pains and tech issues to overcome. Range gets seriously reduced in cold weather, and running the cabin heater compounds the problem. Until recently the onboard range estimator didn't account for grades.

Teslas have "bricked", a condition where the battery gets completely depleted and there's no power available even to run the program that manages the charging process. Owners had left them parked for a few days with a charge on them not realizing the car still draws power The fix is a $40,000 battery replacement that isn't covered by warranty or insurance.

Here's a piece KBB did on the Tesla S. It's a love/hate kind of thing.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I understand you want Mercedes to build the EV S-Class, matching the Tesla specs. Everything else is old-school junk.Not sure if you realize how silly this sounds.
That's what I'd like. I's actually settle for an E class matching the Tesla specs but so far they are building BS hybrids, golf carts like the B class, or pie in the sky concepts like the AMG Electric that costs 4X as much as a Model S and gives you half the range and goes just 3/10 a second faster to 60.

I don't necessarily think everything else is junk but it is embarrassing that Mercedes has yet to release a premium electric car. An all electric S63 would be astounding. If Tesla can do what the P85 can do with $100K, imagine what Mercedes could do with $150K for an all electric S63. The money and technology is there to build a 350 mile range S63 that can reach 60 in the high 3.x seconds but Mercedes is refusing to build that car. They are refusing to build anything remotely competitive with the Model S.

The last thing MB will do is to experiment with their flagship product. That simply wouldn't make any sense especially as EV's are still not proven over extended periods of time.
There was a time when you'd look to the S class to see the future of the car and the automotive industry in general and apparently that is no longer the case. They are essentially sitting out the greatest revolution in automotive engineering in the last 100 years.

Mercedes has a long history of experimenting with and adding cutting edge features to the Mercedes S class. If a start up that has never built a car can build the Model S, I fail to see how Mercedes can't devote the resources to build a similar car. It will increasingly cost them customers.

I'm not sure where you get this about EVs not being proven. The Tesla batteries have been around since 2007 for the previous generation Roadster and they are holding up incredibly well. The batteries in the Model S are a generation more advanced and come with an 8 year warranty.

You could have said EVs are not proven 8 years ago but if you go with the market reaction of people buying these cars few people accept this argument -- I certainly don't after doing exhaustive research on the matter.

That holds true for long-term reliability, battery life/replacement/disposal and the supply chain since there aren't exactly a lot of companies out there making EV batteries...
That also goes for the Model S. We'll have to see how gracefully this car ages in design and technology.
But more importantly EV is a tiny niche. No need to state Tesla's sales numbers either. It is a small niche company serving a tiny niche of the market.
A tiny niche market? Like the market for the Mercedes S class? Because that's the market that the Model S is leading at the moment More people spending close to $100K bought a Model S last year (at 17,650 units) than a Mercedes-Benz S-Class: 13,303, BMW 7 Series: 10,932, Lexus LS: 10,727, Audi A8: 6,300, or a Porsche Panamera: 5,421.

This is not bad by a car manufacturer that came out of nowhere and spends nothing on advertizing. The EV market is not a niche market. It's a matter of other car manufacturers living in denial that this is some fad. It is not.

Most parts of the world doesn't have and will not have the infrastructure for EV's for a VERY long time, even if the tech is mature.
Many countries can't even provide consistent electricity in their cities; let alone a super-charger network
I agree with you 100%. I absolutely agree with you there but who buys a car based on the world-wide infrastructure? I live in the US and I'm quite comfortable owning a 250 mile range EV as my only car.

Btw. if the S500 Hybrid delivers 80mpg I will not call that BS...
It could give you 100 mpg and I would still consider it BS because it would likely take 7+ seconds to reach 60 mph and would likely have a pure electric range of probably about 30 miles and even that with extremely poor performance. Who wants to spend this kind of money and end up driving a compromised mess that is neither the best EV nor the best gasoline car because it has to carry around 2 different drivetrains?

Mercedes has had hybrids for a while. Are people buying them en masse? No they are not. Hybrids are a stop gap compromise and I'd rather just pass it along entirely as the technology exists to deliver performance and range that I need for all my driving.

At $150K when Mercedes gets around to building a truly high performance all electric S63, it will be the best car in the world.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Most of what you reported have been related to very early production run vehicles of the Model S and pretty much they have all been addressed.

If not, Tesla would not have set a record last month for the most number of vehicles sold by any car manufacturer in a single month, including Toyota, Ford, and VW. Norwegians would not be buying more Model S vehicles than any other car if it performs so poorly in the winter. In fact based on people who own and drive these vehicles, they are quite happy with them.

If Tesla reliability was what you say it is they would never have received the strong endorsement it received from Consumer Reports.

And you are right about the Model S interior being simplistic. But you know something, it works and it works better and is more intuitive to use than anything I have used. I bet from navigation to finding music, to other actions, you can do it faster in the Model S interface than via the burried menu interfaces of the Mercedes COMMAND interface.

Mercedes would never have built such an interface because it is so out of the box and some old dude would probably have nixed it. Let's see how car interfaces look in another 10 years and see if find clean functional user interfaces like in the Model S or dozens of buttons slathered everywhere like in other cars

Originally Posted by Mike5215
I see a lot of Tesla S on the road and parked around town. I always check them out. Love the bodywork. The interior looks a bit cheap, with the big screen sort of just tacked on to the dash. I think Tesla gets a huge free pass because it's a radical car from a new company. If MB put a car out with an interior like that they'd get skewered.

Tesla still has growing pains and tech issues to overcome. Range gets seriously reduced in cold weather, and running the cabin heater compounds the problem. Until recently the onboard range estimator didn't account for grades.

Teslas have "bricked", a condition where the battery gets completely depleted and there's no power available even to run the program that manages the charging process. Owners had left them parked for a few days with a charge on them not realizing the car still draws power The fix is a $40,000 battery replacement that isn't covered by warranty or insurance.

Here's a piece KBB did on the Tesla S. It's a love/hate kind of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OWhAJz90tg
Old 05-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
A tiny niche market? Like the market for the Mercedes S class? Because that's the market that the Model S is leading at the moment More people spending close to $100K bought a Model S last year (at 17,650 units) than a Mercedes-Benz S-Class: 13,303, BMW 7 Series: 10,932, Lexus LS: 10,727, Audi A8: 6,300, or a Porsche Panamera: 5,421.

This is not bad by a car manufacturer that came out of nowhere and spends nothing on advertizing. The EV market is not a niche market. It's a matter of other car manufacturers living in denial that this is some fad. It is not.
Your arguments are simply an exact repeat from prior posts. I hoped to avoid that...

Of course EVs are a tiny niche, just like Tesla is a small niche company (they even know that) as is the S-Class. Mercedes sells nearly 1.5 million cars a year, so you do the math.

The S-Class is cutting edge but MB will not experiment on drive trains.

You keep on calling the B-Class a golf cart but don't seem to realize that the A/B-Class platform is the only one that is actually designed to accommodate batteries properly. The S-Class body, as designed, couldn't be used or converted to EV even if they wanted to.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Most of what you reported have been related to very early production run vehicles of the Model S and pretty much they have all been addressed.

If not, Tesla would not have set a record last month for the most number of vehicles sold by any car manufacturer in a single month, including Toyota, Ford, and VW. Norwegians would not be buying more Model S vehicles than any other car if it performs so poorly in the winter. In fact based on people who own and drive these vehicles, they are quite happy with them.

Tesla Model S - Winter Driving Redefined - YouTube

If Tesla reliability was what you say it is they would never have received the strong endorsement it received from Consumer Reports.

And you are right about the Model S interior being simplistic. But you know something, it works and it works better and is more intuitive to use than anything I have used. I bet from navigation to finding music, to other actions, you can do it faster in the Model S interface than via the burried menu interfaces of the Mercedes COMMAND interface.

Mercedes would never have built such an interface because it is so out of the box and some old dude would probably have nixed it. Let's see how car interfaces look in another 10 years and see if find clean functional user interfaces like in the Model S or dozens of buttons slathered everywhere like in other cars
I didn't say the Tesla's interior was simplistic, just that the materials look cheap for a $100,000 car, and that for the most part Tesla isn't held to ordinary standards for finishes at that price level because the car itself is so unique. Put it this way. Same exact car with a conventional V6. Still really jazzed about that interior?

Obviously neither of us knows what Mercedes "would never do", although in terms of developing and integrating new tech the MB is a recognized world leader and the S Class is always their chosen platform.

There's really no practical basis for comparison between the Tesla S and the Mercedes S Class, aside from a quiet ride and a six figure price tag. Would Tesla like to be considered by the same buyers of high end Mercedes, BMW, Porsche and Audi? Of course. Will we see pure electrics from all of those guys eventually? You can bet on it.

I like the Tesla S. If I get the opportunity to test drive one I will. Tesla is probably one or two generations away from a really great car at a reasonable price point. Early adopters are paying a huge premium for novelty. I think the major players are paying attention and five years from now a current Tesla S will seem about as progressive and earth shattering as a Delorean is today.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:15 PM
prg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 C63
Norwegians buy Teslas in large numbers because of the huge taxes they avoid by purchasing an electric car relative to an internal combustion vehicle. Not discounting the excellence of the Tesla, but for near equal money Tesla vs Ford Focus is a no brainer. I'm seriously considering one as a third car, but in rural Oklahoma there's no way to make it my only car.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Well that explains the Norwegian thing.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The EV market is like the hybrid market. Almost everyone who wants to buy a hybrid - wants a Prius. Every other hybrid doesn't sell in good numbers, only the Prius does. Everyone who wants a $100K EV - wants a Tesla. It's like a hot nightclub, other clubs are serving drinks and dancing, but somehow a "Studio 54" emerges and everyone wants to go to it. Tesla is like Studio 54. That's why MB doesn't make a $100K EV, because they know few would buy it.

The best move for the Germans is to put electric assist in every drivetrain. Don't even call it a "hybrid", just make it a standard part of the propulsion system on the car. This is what Porsche is going to do with the 918 technology. The electric part of the drivetrain is just there - you don't have to buy it, its not badged separately, its just there.

Last edited by nyca; 05-11-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by prg
Norwegians buy Teslas in large numbers because of the huge taxes they avoid by purchasing an electric car relative to an internal combustion vehicle. Not discounting the excellence of the Tesla, but for near equal money Tesla vs Ford Focus is a no brainer. I'm seriously considering one as a third car, but in rural Oklahoma there's no way to make it my only car.
Imagine if we had a law that said a person couldn't own more than one car. How many cars would Tesla sell if the people who bought them, had to by law, have it as their only car? Not too many. That's why any analysis of the EV market is flawed - the Teslas are 2nd and 3rd cars for very rich people, who have $100K to toss on a 2nd or 3rd ride.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
jesus, all that drama for a drive from LA to vegas?

Let me ask this question.

Lets say you got one of these teslas and you run out of juice. So now you're stuck on the side of the road. With an ICE car, you can have someone bring you a few gallons of gas.

Does AAA deliver Kilowatts?
Old 05-12-2014, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
jesus, all that drama for a drive from LA to vegas?

Lets say you got one of these teslas and you run out of juice. So now you're stuck on the side of the road. With an ICE car, you can have someone bring you a few gallons of gas.

It helps if you think of it as an adventure, like back when the west was being settled and a trip by wagon train could take months, and occasionally you would die in the desert.

I wonder if you carried one of those ultra quiet compact Honda generators in the trunk and a 5 gallon can of gas would it be possible to put enough of a charge on it to get you to a real charging station?

Last edited by Mike5215; 05-12-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
It helps if you think of it as an adventure, like back when the west was being settled and a trip by wagon train could take months, and occasionally you would die in the desert.
just how I like my luxury cars! brilliant
Old 05-12-2014, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
They're not luxury cars as much as "thrill" cars. Imagine the sensation of driving to your destination without absolute certainty your battery powered car has enough of a charge to get you there! What was once a boring, routine experience is now a sense-heightening thrill ride.

Now, you start your car and a fuel gauge tells you how much fuel you have on hand. (Yawn) With an electric car, nobody really can tell you how much fuel you have. It's more of a guestimate. And it changes frequently in exciting, unexpected ways!

In the winter, your boring gas powered vehicle draws heat into the cabin as a byproduct of the engine's combustion process. Now imagine a fun winter game where you must decide between maintaining enough of a charge to reach your destination, or heating the cabin, or driving at full highway speed!

None of these things are possible in your "world class luxury car", my friend.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Wow, that's some overly dramatic visions you have of Model S drivers dying on the sides of the roads

I don't know what you are talking about as tens and thousands of people are driving Model S vehicles, up and down the coasts as well as across the country without issues. If you run out of power on a gasoline car or an electric car, it is your fault for not planning. But this would need people to accept personal responsibility for their actions and planning accordingly.

But as K-A had mentioned I bet people made the same arguments when the horse and buggy was replaced with the internal combustion engines. I bet people were extorting "what are you going to do with those new contraptions that need gas?" When my horsey, "Mr. Ed," needs food, I just pull over to a grass field and I don;t want to have to dig an oil well...

Maybe you are one of those "luxury car buyers" who drive for 100s of miles without stopping but for most normal people, the 250 mile range offered by a Model S is plenty for all they driving they would do at one time before pulling over for a 30 minute pit stop.

It is great that you like to argue with yourself over things that you made up yourself. There are no issues with heating the car on a colder regions when driving electric cars. Maybe you live someplace colder than in Norway but Norwegian drivers are not having any heating issues.

As you so astutely pointed out, an internal combustion car needs to heat the engine to provide heat whereas an electric car can deliver heat immediately when you enter the cabin because the heater runs right away. I'd be more comfortable in an electric car on a cold winter night than in a gasoline car as there is no engine to heat up before the cabin heats up. In fact with a Tesla you can use the smartphone app to heat the car before you even step inside the car.

All this engine heat you talk about is actually what happens to about 60% of the energy that is consumed by the car. Only about 40% of the energy is actually used for forward momentum.

I'm done with the 100 year old internal combustion engine and I'm glad the next generation of the automobile is being invented. I'd still like to see a high performance long range EV from Mercedes. With Mercedes refinement and luxury combined with linear instant torque to 100 mph with no transmission to get in the way it will be a phenomenal vehicle.

They're not luxury cars as much as "thrill" cars. Imagine the sensation of driving to your destination without absolute certainty your battery powered car has enough of a charge to get you there! What was once a boring, routine experience is now a sense-heightening thrill ride.

Now, you start your car and a fuel gauge tells you how much fuel you have on hand. (Yawn) With an electric car, nobody really can tell you how much fuel you have. It's more of a guestimate. And it changes frequently in exciting, unexpected ways!

In the winter, your boring gas powered vehicle draws heat into the cabin as a byproduct of the engine's combustion process. Now imagine a fun winter game where you must decide between maintaining enough of a charge to reach your destination, or heating the cabin, or driving at full highway speed!

None of these things are possible in your "world class luxury car", my friend.

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 05-12-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D

Actually, yes.

There are provisions being made by AAA in the future to provide charging for EVs. They already offer this in some areas. Some people are acting like overnight we will go from gasoline to electric powered cars but this will happen in incremental steps. We are further along this process than some might think.

An EV might not be the right car for everyone but it meets the requirements of the majority of American drivers today and the situation will only get better.

Knock on wood, I have never run out of gas in my life but if I do, it will be my fault for not planning accordingly. If that happens in a Tesla, I will call Tesla for roadside assistance and I will be on my way. In which case, hopefully next time I will not be a moron to run out of power when already there are over 17,000 places to charge an EV across the US.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by nyca
The EV market is like the hybrid market. Almost everyone who wants to buy a hybrid - wants a Prius. Every other hybrid doesn't sell in good numbers, only the Prius does. Everyone who wants a $100K EV - wants a Tesla. It's like a hot nightclub, other clubs are serving drinks and dancing, but somehow a "Studio 54" emerges and everyone wants to go to it. Tesla is like Studio 54. That's why MB doesn't make a $100K EV, because they know few would buy it.
Okay so no one else making a 250 mile range 0-60 in 4.x second EV that can seat 5 has absolutely nothing to do with why the Model S is such a success in its market segment? I'm not sure i follow your logic. People do their research and buy the best product available. If anything I'd say for a similar vehicle to the Model S, Mercedes would have had an easier time selling it because customers like me would have just upgraded to a Mercedes EV over having to go to another manufacturer for a premium no compromise EV.

Originally Posted by nyca
The best move for the Germans is to put electric assist in every drivetrain. Don't even call it a "hybrid", just make it a standard part of the propulsion system on the car. This is what Porsche is going to do with the 918 technology. The electric part of the drivetrain is just there - you don't have to buy it, its not badged separately, its just there.
That's what the Germans are doing but it is not working. People buying these cars are not dumb enough to not realize it is not a hybrid just because they call it something else. The fact of the matter is very few people drive over 100 miles a day regularly and for most people who take longer trips, they stop for about 30 minutes every 200-250 miles or so. This makes current EV technology sufficient for the vast majority of drivers so why would they want to carry around 2 different drivetrains in the same car and be stuck maintaining an EV and internal combustion engine in one car? This is why I call hybrids BS technology that might have made sense 10 years ago.

The market is not buying the hybrid nonsense. Look how poorly Mercedes has sold their hybrid models. The time a hybrid made sense has long elapsed.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Wow, that's some overly dramatic visions you have of Model S drivers dying on the sides of the roads

I don't know what you are talking about as tens and thousands of people are driving Model S vehicles, up and down the coasts as well as across the country without issues. If you run out of power on a gasoline car or an electric car, it is your fault for not planning. But this would need people to accept personal responsibility for their actions and planning accordingly.

But as K-A had mentioned I bet people made the same arguments when the horse and buggy was replaced with the internal combustion engines. I bet people were extorting "what are you going to do with those new contraptions that need gas?" When my horsey, "Mr. Ed," needs food, I just pull over to a grass field and I don;t want to have to dig an oil well...

Maybe you are one of those "luxury car buyers" who drive for 100s of miles without stopping but for most normal people, the 250 mile range offered by a Model S is plenty for all they driving they would do at one time before pulling over for a 30 minute pit stop.

It is great that you like to argue with yourself over things that you made up yourself. There are no issues with heating the car on a colder regions when driving electric cars. Maybe you live someplace colder than in Norway but Norwegian drivers are not having any heating issues.

As you so astutely pointed out, an internal combustion car needs to heat the engine to provide heat whereas an electric car can deliver heat immediately when you enter the cabin because the heater runs right away. I'd be more comfortable in an electric car on a cold winter night than in a gasoline car as there is no engine to heat up before the cabin heats up. In fact with a Tesla you can use the smartphone app to heat the car before you even step inside the car.

All this engine heat you talk about is actually what happens to about 60% of the energy that is consumed by the car. Only about 40% of the energy is actually used for forward momentum.

I'm done with the 100 year old internal combustion engine and I'm glad the next generation of the automobile is being invented. I'd still like to see a high performance long range EV from Mercedes. With Mercedes refinement and luxury combined with linear instant torque to 100 mph with no transmission to get in the way it will be a phenomenal vehicle.
In the video I posted, the reviewer's car was showing less projected range than the trip home required. Tesla advised the reviewer to set the cruise control at a much slower speed and the cabin at a cooler temperature to buy some extra range. The reviewer wasn't out to trash the car (and he didn't). In fact he loved the car's performance and equipment.

If the Tesla S performance EV is as good as you feel it is, why would it be necessary for Mercedes to build you one? Why not just buy a Tesla and be done with it? What do you feel it is that makes the Tesla S so inadequate in its current form?
Old 05-12-2014, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Actually, yes.

There are provisions being made by AAA in the future to provide charging for EVs. They already offer this in some areas. Some people are acting like overnight we will go from gasoline to electric powered cars but this will happen in incremental steps. We are further along this process than some might think.

you realize how long the electric vehicle concept has been around right?

Its gotten **** on for the past 100 years or so by ICE cars.

Tesla is making beta models right now. In 2 generations, when the infrastructure is in place, and I don't have to sacrifice practicality to own one of these things, perhaps I'll consider it.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

I'm done with the 100 year old internal combustion engine and I'm glad the next generation of the automobile is being invented.
HaHa. Very funny... You do know that the electric motor is older than the internal combustion engine. Right?
Old 05-12-2014, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D

Yup. Because the auto industry did not want to build a proper EV. They still refuse to do it. It took a start up company out of nowhere to show the industry how to build a proper EV.

Maybe the auto industry does not want to build a EV with fewer things to go wrong and fix as that would put the stealership service departments out of business. Imagine if the dealer could no longer make money fixing all the internal combustion engine, transmission, emission control system components that fail along with all the required service. With an EV you change the brake and battery coolant fluid every 2 years, rotate the tires, and replace tires/wipers as needed and that's it. No wonder they are dragging their feet building an EV It will slash dealership profit margins when it comes to service when people only bring their cars in for minor service every 2 years.

Tesla is making beta models right now. In 2 generations, when the infrastructure is in place, and I don't have to sacrifice practicality to own one of these things, perhaps I'll consider it.
I consider the Model S a finished product and what I sacrifice I gain with a smooth ride with zero vibration and instant never-ending torque without a transmission. I can certainly understanding your need for more infrastructure to be available. I'm into technology and more of an early adopter of new technology and I fully realize not everyone is the same.

Like I said, the current EVs are not for everyone. They meet the needs of likely 95% of the population, myself included. I agree with you on how they will get better. They will come out with the Model X next year and that will be a generation more advanced than the Model S, and after their mas market car in 2 years, they will likely redesign the Model S and it will be an even more phenomenal car.

Hopefully by then Mercedes will build a proper no compromise EV and I'd love to see what their AMG line can do with electric propulsion and about a 125-150 kWh battery pack that can deliver about 400-450 miles of range.

I hope the W223 platform takes EV technology seriously.

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 05-12-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Should have read through all replies first. Spot on...
Old 05-12-2014, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
HaHa. Very funny... You do know that the electric motor is older than the internal combustion engine. Right?
Yup, but it was not developed the way ICE technology has been. I fully understand they have had rudimentary EVs since the mid 1800s. However the battery technology was not available back then to build a proper EV and for the better part of the last 100 years ICE technology was developed to what is now likely the pinnacle of what ICE technology can deliver.

The current EV technology finally has reached a point where we will see the same year-over-year development and advances we saw with ICE technology during the last 100 years. Battery capacities, maximum speed, endurance, time to charge will all improve. Already it is at a point where I'd pick a P85 over a S550. About 250 miles of range and 0-60 about 4.2 seconds is all I need -- and I just want them to add AWD to that mix

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 05-12-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
I'll just leave this here:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/06/news...s/tesla-sales/

You cant really look at initial numbers of a hyped up car and determine its level of success in the marketplace. There is going to be an initial spike.

I ordered my smart September 2, 2007 and received it August 28, 2008. They could not build them fast enough for the world and production was maxed. Fast forward a couple of years, and they were struggling to sell 600 a month across the US.

Despite your feelings on the smart (it is a polarizing vehicle for a lot of people) - it is a niche vehicle like the Tesla - albeit one that I will argue is vastly superior from a practicality standpoint since it is ICE. I'm going to expect to see a similar trend with Tesla, perhaps aggravated though - since we're talking about a 6 figure car versus the lowest cost car you can get in the US...

I'd run like hell from TSLA - at some point the bottom will fall out, and I am not a risky investor.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
You have a legitimate point there. With the deposits Tesla started taking a year or two before the release of the Model S, there was an initial spike in orders for the first year because it accounted for that year's sales + the deposits they had taken on past years.

I understand the point you are making but it makes sense only if Tesla has a problem selling vehicles or their production (determined by sales) is falling or even leveling off and that is not the case. The wait time to get a Model S in the US remains 2-3 months (~1 month for P85) and they are expanding into China where people are literally suing Tesla to deliver the vehicles faster. Basically they can't make enough cars to meet worldwide demand. Each quarter, their sales are going up and so is their production.

We are now at about 700 cars a week and that number is slated to go up to about 1000 cars a week by the end of the year and unlike traditional car companies, Tesla already has an order, a deposit, and a buyer for each car that rolls out of their assembly line. They spend zero on advertizing and they have barely scratched the surface of the US car market with a larger market in China that was just opened up.

As for TSLA, I never bought shares in the company but I hope some people follow your advice as I can they buy a bunch of shares at a better price that I will then hold on for the long term. There is too much volatility with Tesla at the moment because the selective bits of data people focus on. Their technology and game-plan is solid for long term growth as far as I'm concerned and they have a product and technology that will change what makes a car "bad a..."

As for the Smart v/ Tesla comparison, let's agree to disagree on which vehicle is a niche vehicle. I guess we'll find the answer to that in a few years... I'll just say that I would never have purchased a Smart car even as a 3rd or 4th car but I am perfectly conformable and in fact look forward to replacing my E550 with a P85 as my only car and daily driver over a S550.

Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
I'll just leave this here:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/06/news...s/tesla-sales/

You cant really look at initial numbers of a hyped up car and determine its level of success in the marketplace. There is going to be an initial spike.

I ordered my smart September 2, 2007 and received it August 28, 2008. They could not build them fast enough for the world and production was maxed. Fast forward a couple of years, and they were struggling to sell 600 a month across the US.

Despite your feelings on the smart (it is a polarizing vehicle for a lot of people) - it is a niche vehicle like the Tesla - albeit one that I will argue is vastly superior from a practicality standpoint since it is ICE. I'm going to expect to see a similar trend with Tesla, perhaps aggravated though - since we're talking about a 6 figure car versus the lowest cost car you can get in the US...

I'd run like hell from TSLA.

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 05-12-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Here's the process I've gone through with the Tesla S.

Step 1: Damn that thing looks good on the road.

Step 2: I'm convinced I can use the Tesla for 99% of my DD needs.

Step 3: I go to the website and configure a car. It's $103,000 not including the cost of adding a new electrical sub panel in the garage because I installed a 240v hot tub last year and used up my last two open slots on the main panel.

Step 4: I buy another S Class.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S63 AMG Bad A....