S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Distronic Plus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 S Class
Distronic Plus

At the risk of not sounding like a total idiot, which I will anyway I'm sure. I am usually pretty tech savvy but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to set the distronic on the car. Yes I have read the manual. Does the car have to be moving? I tried it in my driveway and it won't stay on. Again I apologize, I obviously just am not understanding it

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 04-24-2014, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 208 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by sagers2
At the risk of not sounding like a total idiot, which I will anyway I'm sure. I am usually pretty tech savvy but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to set the distronic on the car. Yes I have read the manual. Does the car have to be moving? I tried it in my driveway and it won't stay on. Again I apologize, I obviously just am not understanding it

Thanks in advance!!!
First of all, to initiate the distrionic plus all you need to do is pull the distronic lever towards you. It will not engage if you have your foot on the brake or if you have the hold button turned on. Once you start moving just pull the lever towards you and you are good to go. To increase speed by 5mph push the lever all the way up. To increase by 1 mph increments, just push up very slightly. To decrease speed push straight down. As soon as you press on the brake, distronic plus is turned off. However, if you are in heavy city traffic,, you can set the speed at 37 mph or less and the car will drive itself by following the car in front of you. It will slow down and speed up accordingly. If it comes to a complete stop, you must step on accelerator to get it moving again and it will continue to drive itself. However, be careful if there are no lines on the road. For example, if you are on right hand lane, following the traffic and there is no line on the right near the curb. you will likely go into the curb if you are not holding the steering wheel.

On high speeds on the interstates, the distronic works great as well. But unlike the auto pilot in city traffic, it will warn you to grab the steering wheel, every 12 seconds or so. I assume you know how to set the preset distance between your car and the car in form of you, but just in case, all you need to do is turn the lever knob clockwise to increase the distance and counterclockwise to decrease the distance.

Last edited by AppleFan1; 04-24-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:39 PM

2014 S Class
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
First of all, to initiate the distrionic plus all you need to do is pull the distronic lever towards you. It will not engage if you have your foot on the brake or if you have the hold button turned on. Once you start moving just pull the lever towards you and you are good to go. To increase speed by 5mph push the lever all the way up. To increase by 1 mph increments, just push up very slightly. To decrease speed push straight down. As soon as you press on the brake, distronic plus is turned off. However, if you are in heavy city traffic,, you can set the speed at 37 mph or less and the car will drive itself by following the car in front of you. It will slow down and speed up accordingly. If it comes to a complete stop, you must step on accelerator to get it moving again and it will continue to drive itself. However, be careful if there are no lines on the road. For example, if you are on right hand lane, following the traffic and there is no line on the right near the curb. you will likely go into the curb if you are not holding the steering wheel.

On high speeds on the interstates, the distronic works great as well. But unlike the auto pilot in city traffic, it will warn you to grab the steering wheel, every 12 seconds or so. I assume you know how to set the preset distance between your car and the car in form of you, but just in case, all you need to do is turn the lever knob clockwise to increase the distance and counterclockwise to decrease the distance.
Thanks so much!! So do you need the lane assist on and the steering assist on as well???
Old 04-24-2014, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Yes you do.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:50 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2020 S560
If in heavy traffic the vehicle comes to a complete stop, you can either touch the accelerator or pull the cruise control lever toward you (which is easier). Lane assist does not need to be on; the radar system senses the cars around you to keep centered.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by SteveVukelich
If in heavy traffic the vehicle comes to a complete stop, you can either touch the accelerator or pull the cruise control lever toward you (which is easier). Lane assist does not need to be on; the radar system senses the cars around you to keep centered.
Steve, thanks for the clarification. I had forgotten about the fact that all you need to do is pull the cruise control lever towards you to start moving again. Also, I did not know that the lane assist doesn't need to be on in heavy traffic. There is SO much to learn and remember about this incredible car.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,238 Likes on 2,017 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I am curious. Our SL is a very aggressively accelerating car but when using the Distronic from a stand it accelerates very slowly to finally catch up to the cars in front of me (and the set distance). I normally step on the gas to speed things up.
How is that on the S? Manual vs. Distronic acceleration from a stand
Old 04-25-2014, 11:41 AM

2014 S Class
Steve, thanks for the clarification. I had forgotten about the fact that all you need to do is pull the cruise control lever towards you to start moving again. Also, I did not know that the lane assist doesn't need to be on in heavy traffic. There is SO much to learn and remember about this incredible car.
There is so much to learn. IT can be mind boggling. I played with my split view with a DVD last night. Just wow. Pretty cool The distronic scares me a little, I don't want to find out something scary in the middle of traffic but in a parking lot to practice with it there is no traffic.
Thanks to all for the help!!!
Old 04-25-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2020 S560
Unfortunately, the "heavy traffic, slow speed drives itself" feature does not work if there is no traffic. I use the feature all of the time in stop-and-go traffic and it works flawlessly. Also, the car's ability to park itself does not work if there are no cars to outline an open parking space.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:05 PM

Received 66 Likes on 22 Posts
W223 S580, Range Rover Supercharged LWB, Audi A8L, BMW 750i, Porsche 911 Carrera S (997)
I've gotten so used to using Distronic that sometimes I get annoyed when the car doesn't stop on it's own at a red light
Old 04-25-2014, 01:11 PM

S 550
Originally Posted by Skerdian
I've gotten so used to using Distronic that sometimes I get annoyed when the car doesn't stop on it's own at a red light
Totally understand this!

I also get surprised when driving our other car and it doesn't slow down on its own - have had to do some hard braking with evasive maneuvers a few times as a result
Old 04-25-2014, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
So, if driving with distronic plus in heavy traffic, one does not have to worry about going into the curb on the right hand lane even if there is no line marker on the right? I thought I tried this, but after a bit I was afraid the car was heading to the curb and I grabbed the steering wheel.

Last edited by AppleFan1; 04-25-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:43 PM

Received 66 Likes on 22 Posts
W223 S580, Range Rover Supercharged LWB, Audi A8L, BMW 750i, Porsche 911 Carrera S (997)
So, if driving with histrionic plus in heavy traffic, one does not have to worry about going into the curb on the right hand lane even if there is no line marker on the right? I thought I tried this, but after a bit I was afraid the car was heading to the curb and I grabbed the steering wheel.
Its not totally accurate....even lane keeping on auto pilot is a bit off....then again the line markings here on NYC streets are always in poor shape and very faded in many parts.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:16 PM

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts
S580 4matic 2023
I have used the distronic plus in heavy traffic and after 45 minutes of stop and go traffic learn to absolutely trust and appreciate it. Less stress. Way less. You come our of the drive totally relaxed. Best car I have ever owned!
Old 04-30-2014, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by zukiper
I have used the distronic plus in heavy traffic and after 45 minutes of stop and go traffic learn to absolutely trust and appreciate it. Less stress. Way less. You come our of the drive totally relaxed. Best car I have ever owned!
I totally agree although the traffic situation where I live is not all that bad.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:14 PM

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts
2021 Cirrus Silver S580 AMG, 2020 Polar White GLE350
One thing concerns me when using distronic in traffic. Do the brake lights work when coming to a stop when the car in front of you brakes for a red light?
Old 04-30-2014, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by TwinCam
One thing concerns me when using distronic in traffic. Do the brake lights work when coming to a stop when the car in front of you brakes for a red light?
Yes, they certainly do.