S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Paint Chips on Trunk Lid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G550, G65, Conti GT V8S
Paint Chips on Trunk Lid

Is it worth going the body shop route for paint chips on top edge of trunk lid? 3 small ones. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Paint Chips on Trunk Lid-image-3182188728.jpg  
Old 05-20-2014, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 320 Likes on 220 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by gotwire
Is it worth going the body shop route for paint chips on top edge of trunk lid? 3 small ones. Thanks!

This is a personal preference item.

I have been successful in the past of buying the MB touch up paint for small little rock chips. In fact last week I just bought the MB Obsidian Black touch up paint for $24 at the dealership and touched up a little rock chip on my '14 S550 4matic. One can not even tell a rock chip was there. The touch up paint comes with the touch up paint and the touch up clear coat.

I used to obsess about this and take it to the body shop. Finally they told me I would be better of just using the MB touch up paint for a little rock chip here and there--they were right.

Maybe they just got tired of me coming to the body shop for every little chip!
Old 05-20-2014, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
How did you get them on the trunk lid. That sounds like it is not a normal place for road debris chips.

Like has been said, it is preference.

I've been down both roads. If you take the painting the trunk lid road get a good shop that will guarantee the match. Some like to blend into the quarter panels and I would never let them do that.

Good luck.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:26 PM

G550, G65, Conti GT V8S
Originally Posted by LovinMercedes
How did you get them on the trunk lid. That sounds like it is not a normal place for road debris chips. Like has been said, it is preference. I've been down both roads. If you take the painting the trunk lid road get a good shop that will guarantee the match. Some like to blend into the quarter panels and I would never let them do that. Good luck.
Rock clipped edge of trunk. I think it bounced off windshield first. I do have a good shop. Was debating stopping by shop vs isolated chip repair.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Rock clipped edge of trunk. I think it bounced off windshield first. I do have a good shop. Was debating stopping by shop vs isolated chip repair.
Brand new care... tough one. Sorry it happened.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E550C
get it airbrushed by a professional touch-up guy. better than bottle touchup and prevents fulle panel repaint. your dealer should have someone that does their vehicles on their lot. go there on the day he's there and ask him to do it. oftentimes its a perfect repair.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:38 AM

G550, G65, Conti GT V8S
I think if it were not on the trunk lid I would go the spot repair route.

I keep my cars about 2 years tops but with it being new I wanted the best possible cosmetic result given location.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S 550
If you have a DIY inclination and a little patience, the Langka and Dr. Colorchip systems are both worth considering and can give good/ok results for rock chips. The Langka system does not provide the actual paint (get touch up paint from dealer) but provides tools and chemicals used to prep the chip area and help smooth the touch up to avoid any blob. Dr Colorchip provides the paint and tools that help cleanup and minimize the appearance of the rock chips.

If you have lots of patience there are other methods for repairing chips that can leave flawless results but will take some time with prep work, layering touch up paint, wet sanding and polishing.

Any of the above will avoid the need for blending panels. Some high end detailers will provide services to do rock chip repair.