S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

PANORAMA ROOF STANDARD? NUTS!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,061 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
PANORAMA ROOF STANDARD? NUTS!

Just got serious about ordering a new S550 and I now see that the folks in Stuttgart have, once again, taken choices AWAY from the customers, making the Panorama Roof STANDARD EQUIPMENT on the new S Class sedans. I NEVER open a sunroof. That said, I was fine with the regular size unit that has been on most every car I have owned over the past 30 years or so. But the Panorama Roof so drastically changes the appearance of the car, if it is anything other than a really dark color. On a white or silver car, I think it looks hideous. True luxury is about CHOICES. MB should allow their customers to order their new S Class pretty much however they want it, especially when it comes to something huge and glaring like the pano roof. At the very least, I will now test drive the BMW & Audi sedans. I am so disappointed in MB thinking that THEY know what all their customers want. From my order for a new S being a slam dunk, I may end up leaving the brand all together. Luxury is about CHOICES--more choices, not less!
Old 05-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Old 05-23-2014, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 208 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Just got serious about ordering a new S550 and I now see that the folks in Stuttgart have, once again, taken choices AWAY from the customers, making the Panorama Roof STANDARD EQUIPMENT on the new S Class sedans. I NEVER open a sunroof. That said, I was fine with the regular size unit that has been on most every car I have owned over the past 30 years or so. But the Panorama Roof so drastically changes the appearance of the car, if it is anything other than a really dark color. On a white or silver car, I think it looks hideous. True luxury is about CHOICES. MB should allow their customers to order their new S Class pretty much however they want it, especially when it comes to something huge and glaring like the pano roof. At the very least, I will now test drive the BMW & Audi sedans. I am so disappointed in MB thinking that THEY know what all their customers want. From my order for a new S being a slam dunk, I may end up leaving the brand all together. Luxury is about CHOICES--more choices, not less!
Just in case you don't know this yet, you are very much in the minority on this. The great majority of the S550 folks love the panoramic roof. It actually adds beauty to the car. If you took a poll, I would be willing to bet that at least 98% would be in favor of the pano roof.

However, to each his own. You obviously have other choices, so good luck.

Last edited by AppleFan1; 05-23-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
Just in case you don't know this yet, you are very much in the minority on this. The great majority of the S550 folks love the panoramic roof. It actually adds beauty to the car. If you took a poll, I would be willing to bet that at least 98% would be in favor of the pano roof.

However, to each his now. You obviously have other choices, so good luck.
+ 1.

I think many customers like the seamless glass look that connects the roof with the front wind shield. I am completely sold on the Pano Roof concept and will never buy another car without it (unless it was a convertible!).

Having said that, I full understand this is a big deal for you and though the pano roof I bet is overwhelmingly popular with customers not everyone has to like it and in your case I think there is a solution.

You can buy the car with the pano roof option and have the roof wrapped in the body color of the car. If you have it done professionally by an expert it would look like the rest of the car so there is a solution for your issue.

Then when you sell or get rid of your car you can remove the wrap to restore the full resale value of your car
Old 05-23-2014, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,243 Likes on 2,019 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Hmm. I for one love the look of the pano room especially on a white or silver car. It's great even on a convertible.

I have also seen plenty of people on BMW forums wishing it would be available on a BMW.

That said, Mercedes has the non-panorama roof available, just not in the US. Just like the majority of engine variants or short-bodied S-Classes not making it here, MB has always selected to bring only bring high-end versions of the S-Class to the US.

No news here...
Old 05-23-2014, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Count me in the group that wouldn't want the pano roof. I'm saddened by the proliferation of them throughout the Mercedes lineup (the 2015 C for instance) - and it is a big reason why I went with the sedan version of my current car where I could have a traditional roof.

When I want a solid headliner, I want it solid - a solid sliding panel - not a roll up screen. I also have yet to be in a car (Mercedes or other) with a pano that has not started making noises several years down the road.

I use my sunroof almost every day from about March through November, so I am not a hater of sunroofs - but to the pano - just no.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:55 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
the pano roof doesn't open that far anyway lol, and at least there is a 100% shade instead of the perforated one right?

pano is the way to go; and you get to control the cool little sun window for the back seat folks
not to mention they can control it too
Old 05-23-2014, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S 550
I would like to see the pano roof as an option. I grew to like it but when we first looked at the car I didn't want the pano roof and if given a choice again would take the solid roof option as this car for us was to be as quiet as possible and avoid bright light. We have the windows tinted with 20% due to light sensitivity and migraine issues. After the first week of playing with the gadgets our pano has never been open again.

I think it looks cool but from a practical perspective it is of no use to us.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
This thread just popped up over on the W212 section. I'd like to own a W222 sometime in the future - this might change things

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...a-sunroof.html
Old 05-24-2014, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
This thread just popped up over on the W212 section. I'd like to own a W222 sometime in the future - this might change things

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...a-sunroof.html
Had a panorama roof for over 11 years and no issues. Great feature now free
Old 05-24-2014, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Just got serious about ordering a new S550 and I now see that the folks in Stuttgart have, once again, taken choices AWAY from the customers, making the Panorama Roof STANDARD EQUIPMENT on the new S Class sedans.
Please do not blame the Stuttgart folks. Panorama roof is standard only for the S65AMG, if you purchase the car from the Stuttgart dealers. You may blame MBUSA folks though.

What Stuttgart folks did was the deletion of the "standard sunroof" that was standard on the W221 LWB model.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:50 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
What I'm surprised that's being swept under the rug here is that the W222 doesn't really even employ a true "Pano" look, as the roof only goes so far back before it turns to a body-colored roof toward the end (a'la 6 Series'), thus eliminating that nice seamless look of the Pano roof from the rear. Add to that the fact that the ski-racks remain black; from the back it looks quite fussy and less streamlined than even a normal moonroof-equipped car.

I personally like the Pano look though.

Problem with it, and it always becomes a problem, is that you get less chassis rigidity, more weight at the top of the car, and the car becomes far more rattle and creak/sound/etc. prone, while you'll notice more flexing while going up driveways and such on a Pano car, especially as it ages. When I went from my 2010 E Class with Pano to my 2011 without, I could notice the lack of weight and the added rigidity. Both of those cars quickly turned into practically rattle traps of their own, but the 2011 seemed to have less rattles coming from the roof area (though it did have an occasionally nasty one from the rear of the headliner, which is an unfortunate common occurrence on those cars).

Still, I preferred my 2010 with the true-Pano (i.e one that went from front to back completely).

Last edited by K-A; 05-28-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by K-A
What I'm surprised that's being swept under the rug here is that the W222 doesn't really even employ a true "Pano" look, as the roof only goes so far back before it turns to a body-colored roof toward the end (a'la 6 Series'), thus eliminating that nice seamless look of the Pano roof from the rear. Add to that the fact that the ski-racks remain black; from the back it looks quite fussy and less streamlined than even a normal moonroof-equipped car.

I personally like the Pano look though.

Problem with it, and it always becomes a problem, is that you get less chassis rigidity, more weight at the top of the car, and the car becomes far more rattle and creak/sound/etc. prone, while you'll notice more flexing while going up driveways and such on a Pano car, especially as it ages. When I went from my 2010 E Class with Pano to my 2011 without, I could notice the lack of weight and the added rigidity. Both of those cars quickly turned into practically rattle traps of their own, but the 2011 seemed to have less rattles coming from the roof area (though it did have an occasionally nasty one from the rear of the headliner, which is an unfortunate common occurrence on those cars).

Still, I preferred my 2010 with the true-Pano (i.e one that went from front to back completely).
Ok, now here I agree with you 100%. I don't know why they did that. It def needs a piece of gloss black vinyl on the back section.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:41 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by Jason B
Ok, now here I agree with you 100%. I don't know why they did that. It def needs a piece of gloss black vinyl on the back section.

Nice pic. Yeah it looks a lot cleaner and fluid on the W221. All black roof and no "Jagged" colors, etc.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:46 PM

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
20 G63, 19 720s
Damn! was considering the new s550 to replace my 2010 s550 but there's something about the W221. I love that wheel arch flare. Obviously the new s550 interior is miles ahead though
Old 05-30-2014, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by John Dong
Damn! was considering the new s550 to replace my 2010 s550 but there's something about the W221. I love that wheel arch flare. Obviously the new s550 interior is miles ahead though
Big difference in the engine department vs. a 2010 as well
Old 03-31-2015, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Now this is the correct look for a pano
Attached Thumbnails PANORAMA ROOF STANDARD?  NUTS!-image-1577881105.jpg  
Old 03-31-2015, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 221 Posts
S600
If you don't like it you can always vinyl over it.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:00 AM

S550
For me, I always wanted the option of having it, then never, ever opened it. This is the first car that I leave it open the majority of the time. I close it when the light is shining in my eyes. I do like the fact that when it is cold if you leave the roofs open.....and I'm referring to the black cover which covers just the light....it's nice getting into a nice warm car.

On my last Beemer it was just a moon roof that tilted, on this car you actually get a open sun roof. So, all in all, it's changed my mind on sun roofs. Plus, thats one of the first things people comment on when getting in car 'LOVE YOUR SUN WE

Brian
Old 04-01-2015, 12:12 PM

Everything
It frustrates me as well Because they're all Doing it. I'm with you in that it spoils the lines of the car. All I can say is Audi S6, BMW M5, not even an option, Porsche Panamera (optional I think) What about the E Class

Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
Count me in the group that wouldn't want the pano roof. I'm saddened by the proliferation of them throughout the Mercedes lineup (the 2015 C for instance) - and it is a big reason why I went with the sedan version of my current car where I could have a traditional roof.

When I want a solid headliner, I want it solid - a solid sliding panel - not a roll up screen. I also have yet to be in a car (Mercedes or other) with a pano that has not started making noises several years down the road.

I use my sunroof almost every day from about March through November, so I am not a hater of sunroofs - but to the pano - just no.
These are the other reasons I don't like them, Squeaks & Rattles Plus you Don't Get a Solid Sun Shade like a Normal Sunroof Instead you get This Mesh Screen Like Shade, That's not going to cut it in the Desert Southwest. Also more work to make it bullet proof
Old 04-01-2015, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,061 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by JT50
It frustrates me as well Because they're all Doing it. I'm with you in that it spoils the lines of the car. All I can say is Audi S6, BMW M5, not even an option, Porsche Panamera (optional I think) What about the E Class

These are the other reasons I don't like them, Squeaks & Rattles Plus you Don't Get a Solid Sun Shade like a Normal Sunroof Instead you get This Mesh Screen Like Shade, That's not going to cut it in the Desert Southwest. Also more work to make it bullet proof
Yes, even some of the Asian brands have them all over the place. When top line car companies offered them as options, they were exclusive for those who wanted them. Today, it just makes your big buck sedan look like everything else on the road. I always thought the Pano Roof was a great OPTION and that's what it should have remained, an OPTION. Let those who want it order it and those of us who don't, the option to pass on it.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:34 PM

Everything
Considering the type of car you want Have you considered the Alpina B7, Very comfortable & luxurious & yet performs well when you need it to IMO.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:52 PM

S550
I too never open a sun roof, and before this car I kept the cover over it because I did not like the light. But.....I'm happy to report that I let the light shine in most of the time and have come to like it. For what it's worth. And, I've owned two BMW 7's a short wheel base and a long wheel base. All I'll say is they feel very dated compared to the S550. They feel huge compared to the S, especially the long wheel base. And, there is something about the 7 long wheel base that just looks off, why I traded it for the short wheel base. Don't have a comment on the Audi.

I got a white S550 and I think it looks cool. Takes all kinds I suppose. Enjoy the Audi, or the BMW.