S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

UV/IR glass affecting cell phone reception

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S63, 2013 Range Rover
UV/IR glass affecting cell phone reception

Has anyone noticed degraded cellular and Wi-Fi performance of your phone when inside the car? Just picked up a S63 and my Wi-Fi signal is a bar or two lower than when outside the car, and my cellular reception too. I didn't notice any problems like this with my 2010 S550, are they the same as far as the shielding on the glass?

Also I saw some owners say that the garage door transmitter is very weak, however I actually don't find this at all, which completely counters my cell phone issue.

Lastly, what do you find yourself doing as far as the Wi-Fi hotspot in the car? I have the rear entertainment package so connecting to the car Wi-Fi lets me use the iPhone as a remote for the screens which is infinitely better than the regular remote, but then I am stuck with the horrible 150Kbps throttled Verizon service instead of the LTE on my phone.

Does anyone have any good suggestions? Thanks!
Old 06-15-2014, 06:39 PM

S Class
Originally Posted by mb2120
Has anyone noticed degraded cellular and Wi-Fi performance of your phone when inside the car? Just picked up a S63 and my Wi-Fi signal is a bar or two lower than when outside the car, and my cellular reception too. I didn't notice any problems like this with my 2010 S550, are they the same as far as the shielding on the glass?

Also I saw some owners say that the garage door transmitter is very weak, however I actually don't find this at all, which completely counters my cell phone issue.

Lastly, what do you find yourself doing as far as the Wi-Fi hotspot in the car? I have the rear entertainment package so connecting to the car Wi-Fi lets me use the iPhone as a remote for the screens which is infinitely better than the regular remote, but then I am stuck with the horrible 150Kbps throttled Verizon service instead of the LTE on my phone.

Does anyone have any good suggestions? Thanks!
Yes indeed , i have tested the wifi signal in my home . once i get in the car it drops from full 5 points to 1, but when i open the driver door it gets back to 4-5
Old 06-16-2014, 09:30 AM

That's really not great...
Old 06-16-2014, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
That's really not great...
Why not? If you really want good IR protection, you will loose radio signals inside the cabin.

The MS solution is to use the external cellphone antenna at the roof. Unfortunately it restricts options to phone models that have a cradle (one also needs the convenience phone option).

For us in Europe (ROW) bluetooth connectivity is still possible with a BT SAP adapter (unfortunately not all phones support BT SAP).

IR reflective windows are not standard for the W222 with the smallest engines (those that are available in Europe). Here MB suggests to tick the 386 phone option for those who want IR reflective windows.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:40 AM

Is there any solution other than to use a phone that supports Bluetooth SAP?

It's frustrating because the car has it's own separate data connection, if that was a real, working, fast connection it would be great since I can use that over Wi-Fi in the car, except it's completely useless.

What is the MS option you're talking about, would that work with an iPhone?

Thank you
Old 06-16-2014, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
IR is light and cell phone signals use radio waves so is it possible to permit radio waves in without affecting the ability to repeal IR/UV?

For the existing situation would a 4G signal repeater/booster inside the car help?
Old 06-16-2014, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
IR is light and cell phone signals use radio waves so is it possible to permit radio waves in without affecting the ability to repeal IR/UV?

For the existing situation would a 4G signal repeater/booster inside the car help?
The difference is only in the frequency (or wavelength). IR light has a lower frequency than visible light. If you want to build a low pass filter that blocks IR but passes visible light, you would block all electromagnetic radiation at IR frequencies and lower.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation
A bandpass filter would be possible in theory but does not seem to be practical to build such windows.

4G can appear on any cellular frequency but you are right, a repeater could be used and repeaters can be built on specific frequencies only. I'm afraid FCC and other authorities would not make those legal?
Old 06-17-2014, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
The difference is only in the frequency (or wavelength). IR light has a lower frequency than visible light. If you want to build a low pass filter that blocks IR but passes visible light, you would block all electromagnetic radiation at IR frequencies and lower.
Electromagnetic radiation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A bandpass filter would be possible in theory but does not seem to be practical to build such windows.

4G can appear on any cellular frequency but you are right, a repeater could be used and repeaters can be built on specific frequencies only. I'm afraid FCC and other authorities would not make those legal?
I think a 4G repeater would actually completely solve this problem. AFAIK they are completely legal as you are not blocking or interfering with anything. You are simply boosting the signal much like the WIFI boosters I have throughout my house to ensure good signal strength.

My company recently hosted a gala at the DC Ritz Carlton and the ballroom is underground 2 levels down but I had a strong 4G signal throughout the event space and it really made things easy on the day of the event. I was told that they installed some type of a cellphone repeater as a part of their recent ballroom renovation. I searched around and you can buy these repeaters and they are pretty small. The key thing would be to have it professionally installed so it is completely concealed and find a place to mount the antenna (perhaps behind the grill where it is semi exposed?).
Old 06-17-2014, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
So I guess they used something like this... This is overkill but they also make smaller versions that will fit in the car.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:06 AM

The manual says that the cut out for an EZ Pass is on the right side of the rearview mirror, on my S550 it was on the left (which makes more sense if you hold it up, harder to reach to right side of mirror), does anyone know for sure?
Old 06-18-2014, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 217 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
The manual says that the cut out for an EZ Pass is on the right side of the rearview mirror, on my S550 it was on the left (which makes more sense if you hold it up, harder to reach to right side of mirror), does anyone know for sure?

If I am sitting in the driver's seat the area where I have my EZ Pass is to the right of the rearview mirror (closer to the passenger side).

You can also verify the areas in the windshield available for this by setting your car in direct sunlight and looking from the outside into the car near the rearview mirror. You will see the area that allows the frequency through the windshield.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:24 AM

Thank you
Old 06-18-2014, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 217 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by MTrauman
If I am sitting in the driver's seat the area where I have my EZ Pass is to the right of the rearview mirror (closer to the passenger side).

You can also verify the areas in the windshield available for this by setting your car in direct sunlight and looking from the outside into the car near the rearview mirror. You will see the area that allows the frequency through the windshield.

I also had a '08 S550 4Matic. It was the same as my '14 S550 4Matic.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:34 AM

Weird, I always held it up on the left side, and it always worked.