S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Auto lock doors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2014 | 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Auto lock doors?

I hate to start a new thread here, but I didn't know where to ask this question. How exactly is the automatic locking of the doors feature suppose to work? I have it set to auto lock on the settings, but unless I actually manually lock the doors by touching that spot on the door handle my doors will not lock automatically after a certain amount of time. There have been a few times the past several weeks when I forgot to lock the doors manually and I found the doors were not locked when I returned several hours later. I can tell this from a distance since I see the mirrors are not folded inward. Fortunately, no one entered my car to steal anything or do any damage.

So, is there some sort of trick that I am not aware of on this issue? I haven't a clue why this is the case and to this point, I have not even asked the dealer about it. I figured you guys here know more than the dealer does about the S550 anyway.
Old 06-21-2014 | 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
I don't have a 222, but are you sure the car has such a feature? Autolock on every MB I've owned means lock the door when the car starts to move. The only other autolock is if you open the central locking but don't open a door. After some period of time the central locking locks again.

I've never heard of an MB locking itself after you park. But maybe, I guess.
Old 06-21-2014 | 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by whoover
I don't have a 222, but are you sure the car has such a feature? Autolock on every MB I've owned means lock the door when the car starts to move. The only other autolock is if you open the central locking but don't open a door. After some period of time the central locking locks again.

Well, you probably have a point. Maybe, the car does not have this feature. I do know that the doors automatically lock after a few seconds of driving. If the new S550 does not have this feature, shouldn't it have it? I would think it would be useful.
Old 06-21-2014 | 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
Well, you probably have a point. Maybe, the car does not have this feature. I do know that the doors automatically lock after a few seconds of driving. If the new S550 does not have this feature, shouldn't it have it? I would think it would be useful.
Maybe for Keyless Go, but it's pretty dangerous for regular Smartkey cars. It's the "lock your keys inside" feature. And I don't know of any major mode like this would be that Keyless Go cars have that others don't. It could be confusing.

BTW, Keyless Go is an option on the W222 for most models in most of the world. In Germany, for instance, it's standard only on V-12 models.

Last edited by whoover; 06-21-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-22-2014 | 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
The only other autolock is if you open the central locking but don't open a door. After some period of time the central locking locks again.

I believe this is correct. I don't have my MY15 yet but all my MB currently and before performed like this.
Old 06-22-2014 | 05:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
I think the term auto lock refers to locking the doors during driving the car there could be some misconception here .
Auto lock can lock the car according to your preferences when you cover up some distance , going above a certain speed .These can be chosen in the vehicle settings menu
W222 don't come with this ? I don't think so
Auto Lock also locks the car and pano roof during under certain circumstances such as rain , windows left open more than 6 hours
Old 06-22-2014 | 05:52 AM

mercedes cl 85
self-locking doors should work when the car is moving
Old 06-22-2014 | 07:31 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I could have sworn my car has locked itself
Old 06-22-2014 | 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580

What do you mean by "central locking?" As Hyperion stated below, I know for a fact that my doors locked themselves while parked in the garage on a few occasions. So could this have been done because I locked the doors and then unlocked them again without opening the door? I am totally confused on this.
Old 06-22-2014 | 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by mrfyzv
self-locking doors should work when the car is moving
I am well aware of this and yes the doors lock after the car is driven for a few seconds. My question totally pertains to the time when the car is parked and whether or not the doors should auto lock.
Old 06-22-2014 | 10:41 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
my guess is that while the key is in your pocket, and you're in proximity, the car will lock itself......unless I bumped the lock button with the key FOB, which I don't think happened,
now I must go experiment perhaps the manual reveals this information.........not that I'm going to sit in my car and filter through it lol; STILL waiting for hardcopy
Old 06-22-2014 | 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What do you mean by "central locking?" As Hyperion stated below, I know for a fact that my doors locked themselves while parked in the garage on a few occasions. So could this have been done because I locked the doors and then unlocked them again without opening the door? I am totally confused on this.
I am well aware of this and yes the doors lock after the car is driven for a few seconds. My question totally pertains to the time when the car is parked and whether or not the doors should auto lock.
Originally Posted by hyperion667
my guess is that while the key is in your pocket, and you're in proximity, the car will lock itself......unless I bumped the lock button with the key FOB, which I don't think happened,
If you have the premium package you can lock and unlock the door, so long as you are carrying the key with you, anywhere on you, by touching the outside door handles. Sometimes, you don't actually have to touch it but even just brush up against it. This should either lock or unlock the doors from the outside without opening the door.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2014_S Keyless Go.pdf (227.5 KB, 800 views)
Old 06-22-2014 | 10:45 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
yes, the touching of the doorhandles is great, but not the question being asked....
Old 06-22-2014 | 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hyperion667
yes, the touching of the doorhandles is great, but not the question being asked....
I understand but I don't think it can happen any other way. I do remember times when I was close to the car with the key and someone else touched the handle on the passenger side and the car also locked or unlocked. Any possibility something like this could have happened.

You can also lock and unlock remotely with the mbrace application.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 06-22-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-22-2014 | 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by LovinMercedes
I understand but I don't think it can happen any other way. I do remember times when I was close to the car with the key and someone else touched the handle on the passenger side and the car also locked or unlocked. Any possibility something like this could have happened.

You can also lock and unlock remotely with the mbrace application.
No! There was no one else remotely close to the car. I am going to do a bit of experimenting later today.

In any case, why isn't this auto lock feature an option on the S550 or other luxury cars for that matter as long as the smart key is not left in the car? I think this would be a good feature to have available in the car settings.
Old 06-22-2014 | 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
No! There was no one else remotely close to the car. I am going to do a bit of experimenting later today.

In any case, why isn't this auto lock feature an option on the S550 or other luxury cars for that matter as long as the smart key is not left in the car? I think this would be a good feature to have available in the car settings.
Another situation you have to consider is the Smartkey battery is dead and you leave it in the car and get locked out. They have spent a lot of time engineering assurance that you can't lock your keys in your car. I think they would have a gut reaction against any feature that might inadvertently do it.

We still laugh about the time my brother-in-law locked his 90-year old father in his car at Home Depot on a hot day. The father was listening to something on the radio and said he'd meet him in the store when it was done. My brother-in-law got out, locked the car, remembered his father and unlocked it. But that sequence set up the central autolock after 30 seconds.

The father couldn't open the door when he was ready, it was a hot day and started banging on the window. They paged my brother-in-law, "Mr. xxx, your father is trapped in a hot car in the parking lot and we've called the fire department."
Old 06-22-2014 | 12:40 PM

S 550
This should be a user configuration...but it doesn't appear to be an option on the S550.

Had this feature on a corvette from a few years ago (where the car would lock itself if there were no keys in the car and it is off) so this feature has been around for some time.
Old 06-22-2014 | 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DaveVY
This should be a user configuration...but it doesn't appear to be an option on the S550.
As long as it was a user configuration and could be turned off. I can think of instances where I would not want my door to auto lock.
Old 06-22-2014 | 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Ok, boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen. Here is the scoop. I just did a bit of experimentation. I got out of the car, locked the doors and then unlocked them again. I did not open the door. In about 30 seconds or so, the doors locked automatically and the of course the side mirrors folded inward. So, this must have been what happened in the past when I know for a fact the doors locked by themselves.

Yes, in my opinion, there should be an option for the car to lock the doors automatically (as long as the key is not left inside the car) after you park it, but oh well, it's not that big of a deal.
Old 06-22-2014 | 01:45 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
okay good, I wasn't imagining that it happened

now go post a picture in the W222 picture thread I'm trying to get going
Old 06-22-2014 | 05:59 PM

N/A
Ok, boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen. Here is the scoop. I just did a bit of experimentation. I got out of the car, locked the doors and then unlocked them again. I did not open the door. In about 30 seconds or so, the doors locked automatically and the of course the side mirrors folded inward. So, this must have been what happened in the past when I know for a fact the doors locked by themselves.

Yes, in my opinion, there should be an option for the car to lock the doors automatically (as long as the key is not left inside the car) after you park it, but oh well, it's not that big of a deal.
I highly recommend checking the manual. I mean, it's built right into COMAND. There's even an app available on smart phones called MB Guides which has manuals for every single Merc. ☺

Aside from the snarky comment, yes, the Auto-locking feature has to do with turning the car on and driving off.

As for auto-locking if you forget to lock, think about the edge cases. Do you want the car to auto-lock when you are refueling your car? Probably not.

OK, you might ask, what if the car detected the key fob moving out of range? Well, what if a passenger is inside while you get something? Do you want the car to automatically lock them? That would then prime the alarm. You can see where I'm going with this...

So yeah, MB (and other auto makers as well) require you to consciously lock the car. If later when you are away from the vehicle and you accidentally unlock the car and don't get in, the car auto-locks.
Old 06-22-2014 | 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by BadMojo
I highly recommend checking the manual. I mean, it's built right into COMAND. There's even an app available on smart phones called MB Guides which has manuals for every single Merc. ☺

Aside from the snarky comment, yes, the Auto-locking feature has to do with turning the car on and driving off.

As for auto-locking if you forget to lock, think about the edge cases. Do you want the car to auto-lock when you are refueling your car? Probably not.

OK, you might ask, what if the car detected the key fob moving out of range? Well, what if a passenger is inside while you get something? Do you want the car to automatically lock them? That would then prime the alarm. You can see where I'm going with this...

So yeah, MB (and other auto makers as well) require you to consciously lock the car. If later when you are away from the vehicle and you accidentally unlock the car and don't get in, the car auto-locks.
IF "RTFM" were an appropriate reply, these forums would be very sparsely populated. The OP asked a reasonably question about a feature ("autolock") that could mean at least three things. It turns out it means two of them. I don't see any reason for snark.

I still think the deal killer is the key with the dead battery. The first time an owner got locked out in that situation there would be hell to pay. As for using mBrace, I wouldn't even accept the free six months because the system is so poor. It uses the same Verizon network as my phone but still fails half the time to connect with the car. The internet speed is like dial-up. I'll take my chances since MB has made it very hard to lock my keys in the car.
Old 06-22-2014 | 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by BadMojo

What "snarky" comment are you talking about? I was asking a few legitimate questions.

Ok, so MB MUST have a good reason for not making the auto lock an option when the car is parked. I obviously did not think of all the possibilities when something could go wrong with an auto lock feature, but I was not trying to be disrespectful or anything like that. As I sated above, it's not a big deal.

Last edited by AppleFan1; 06-22-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-22-2014 | 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
IF "RTFM" were an appropriate reply, these forums would be very sparsely populated. The OP asked a reasonably question about a feature ("autolock") that could mean at least three things. It turns out it means two of them. I don't see any reason for snark.

I still think the deal killer is the key with the dead battery. The first time an owner got locked out in that situation there would be hell to pay. As for using mBrace, I wouldn't even accept the free six months because the system is so poor. It uses the same Verizon network as my phone but still fails half the time to connect with the car. The internet speed is like dial-up. I'll take my chances since MB has made it very hard to lock my keys in the car.
A key with a dead battery is a good point. Thanks for bringing that out.

Yes, we have discussed the internet speed in the car. It's ridiculous. In all honesty, this is the ONLY disappointing feature about this great automobile. I have hopes that MB will improve it in the not too distant future. I am certainly not going to extend the free trial subscription as bad as it is now.
Old 06-23-2014 | 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
A key with a dead battery is a good point. Thanks for bringing that out.

Yes, we have discussed the internet speed in the car. It's ridiculous. In all honesty, this is the ONLY disappointing feature about this great automobile. I have hopes that MB will improve it in the not too distant future. I am certainly not going to extend the free trial subscription as bad as it is now.
Rather than pay for the car's Internet connection I think you are better of buying a WIFI hot Spot and permanently leave it in the car. You will then get faster 4G connection and can share the "data bucket" with your existing calling plan.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Auto lock doors?