S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Need an update on WiFi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 312 Likes on 215 Posts
2022 EQS580
Alishami, please read my edited post just above. There is no doubt in my mind that it's using the car's WiFi when I have it activated.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500 2015
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
Alishami, please read my edited post just above. There is no doubt in my mind that it's using the car's WiFi when I have it activated.
Well,the best way that you could test if the iPhone is using the car Wi-Fi or not is to turn off the celluar data in your phone and connect to your car Wi-Fi and then try the iTunes radio

Last edited by Alishami; 07-24-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 319 Likes on 235 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
I just touch the "Media" button on the command area and then the system connects the device (iPhone in this case) through bluetooth and it starts playing streaming music from the music stations I had selected on iTunes Radio. Without any doubt at all, there use to be a big difference with and without connection to WiFi. It was so bad in the past that I would deactivate the WiFi in the car so that I could just stream the music through the At&T data plan and 4G LTE connection. But recently, I do not need to deactivate the WiFi since it works good enough. Is this just a coincidence? I don't think so.

Btw, the phone has to be getting connection through the car's WiFi because when I try to go to a couple of different websites on the phone while I'm sitting in the car, it is quite slow as opposed to the normal 4G LTE it normally uses when it is very fast. But evidently, the WiFI is now just fast enough to be able to stream the music from iTunes Radio quite well as opposed to the past.
It really sounds like it's now going through your phone's 4G connection and data plan and not the previous mBrace 3G connection. The way to know for sure is trying this with the phone far away from the car.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
If I'm far away from the car it will change from the Mercedes connection to the AT&T 4G LTE connection. How does that prove anything? Isn't it convincing enough that web browsing on the phone while sitting in the car (the WiFi symbol is showing and on the phone and on the WiFi settings is says connected to Mercedes) is very slow. When I deactivate the WiFi in the car, browsing the web is now very fast since it's using the AT&T data. To me that's 100% proof.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 218 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
If I'm far away from the car it will change from the Mercedes connection to the AT&T 4G LTE connection. How does that prove anything? Isn't it convincing enough that web browsing on the phone while sitting in the car (the WiFi symbol is showing and on the phone and on the WiFi settings is says connected to Mercedes) is very slow. When I deactivate the WiFi in the car, browsing the web is now very fast since it's using the AT&T data. To me that's 100% proof.

In the top right of your right car display do you have two gold arrows pointing in opposite direction? This indicates that your car is connected to Verizon Telematics with an internet connection.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Talking

Originally Posted by MTrauman
In the top right of your right car display do you have two gold arrows pointing in opposite direction? This indicates that your car is connected to Verizon Telematics with an internet connection.
Thanks for saving me Trauman! The answer is a big YES! I knew this to be the case all along but I just drove the car around the block to get away from my home WiFi and the 2 gold arrows popped up on the upper right hand side of the car display screen. And, on the iPhone WiFi settings it clearly states MB WLAN followed by a number. I have been trying to say this on about 10 different posts. As I said before, I was 100% certain that my phone was being connected to the car's WiFI as long as I have that feature activated.

So with all this confusion above, I have a feeling that the car's internet speed is slightly faster in recent weeks and that's why I am able to stream the music from iTunes Radio with much better luck while using the car's WiFi connection.

Man I hope this settles it this time. But I would love to hear from any of you about this issue.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
4G on your phone is always going to be much faster that the car's WiFi using 3G for its uplink. You aren't going to see good connected car app performance until the car has a 4G head unit, and this 2015 model year car doesn't have that.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by nyca
4G on your phone is always going to be much faster that the car's WiFi using 3G for its uplink. You aren't going to see good connected car app performance until the car has a 4G head unit, and this 2015 model year car doesn't have that.
Yes I realize this.

But I thought that perhaps the speed could be improved by some sort of software update. I think something to improve it slightly has already been done by either Verizon or MB per my "zillion" comments above.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 319 Likes on 235 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
I knew this to be the case all along but I just drove the car around the block to get away from my home WiFi and the 2 gold arrows popped up on the upper right hand side of the car display screen.
Just to be completely sure, in the above test run did you leave your phone at home as well? We want to absolutely eliminate the possibility that the phone, not mBrace, is supplying COMAND with the internet connection.

(Or just turn off the phone's Bluetooth.)

Last edited by whoover; 07-25-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by whoover
Just to be completely sure, in the above test run did you leave your phone at home as well? We want to absolutely eliminate the possibility that the phone, not mBrace, is supplying COMAND with the internet connection.

(Or just turn off the phone's Bluetooth.)
Ok, I just did another test with the iPhone left in the house. I drove around a few blocks and when I went to launch MB Apps, sure enough the 2 golden arrows showed up on the upper right hand corner of the screen as usual. The only App that I have now is the Google Maps. They obviously disconnected all the rest probably in early July along with the Internet Radio.