S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Question...If have you driven the Tesla model S vs S550, why did you choose the S550?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:54 PM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Originally Posted by mleskovar
You can even beat the OP 0 - 60, 1/4 mile, and top speed. Look at the stats. There are many cars that do better than the his base Tesla. "Ludicrous" speed would be hard to beat through the traps though. A Z06 will beat a P85 in the 1/4 and costs $50K less. But then you'd have to trailer the Tesla to the strip because after a few runs you wouldn't have enough power to drive it back home
If all that anyone wanted was to beat a P85D, you could buy a RS7 for a similar, or lower price(at least where I am), give it an APR tune, or Giac Stage 2 or whatever is around, and for the same, or lower price than a P85D, beat it/humiliate it, and even the P90 would be beaten in the quarter. I mean, people are saying that's tuned e.t.c but I might as well race an E63 S(585hp) with an Audi RS3(380+hp) which would be similar to a P90D(circa 750hp) vs E63 S.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Landers
Willing to take this bet? I guarantee you are not. I have an S550. If so let me know as I'm willing to wager whatever amount you want.

Race will be from Dallas to San Antonio, TX.

I guarantee I will be waiting at the finish line for you.
I said in day to day driving where about 95% of the driving actually occurs. I don't drive hundreds of miles day to day and I have no intention of driving triple digit speeds for dozens of miles.

The point is if you have just about anything made by AMG and there is a Tesla P90D on the lane next to you, don't even try as the Tesla can obliterate just about anything made by AMG at will as far as day to day driving is concerned.

Combustion cars still have an edge over electric cars for track racing and long distance high speed racing. I've always said if you want to mindlessly drive for hundreds of miles without stopping the S Class is the way to go. But give it some time and battery electric technologies will address this issue as well.

Tesla is about to release the P100D that will increase range to about 320 miles and there will be about 5% improvement in range every year. Might not sound like much but realize this is compounded every year and already at current battery capacity the Model S is outselling the S Class.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by UrBusted
I know of at least 10 Mercedes' which would obliterate your P85D at any red light, of course tuned. Most E63S/CLS63S with tune/downpipes should be able to beat your P85D after 30mph. I know for a fact that there's a Mercedes, whose owners about on these forums, who would probably humiliate the P85D from the start, of course tuned. Of course you're going to say warranty e.t.c but for some people that doesn't matter. Then you'd probably say it matters to you e.t.c. They are still a Mercedes and you still can't make them seem small in your "review mirror" in a race.
You could probably tune anything to go fast but we are obviously talking about production cars here.

And even those tuned cars, let's see how well they hold up to 50-100 launches. There is a reason AMG does not tune their cars to go any faster and that is they will not be able to warranty the components if they are stressed any further.

The point is with modern high performance electric cars like the Model S those 0-60 2.6s sprints are effortless and can be repeated as many times as you desire without causing massive damage to delicate gear mechanisms when launch control is making minced meat out of the drivetrain components while it sits there making farting sounds.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by absent
I apologize, should have said Lithium not Nickel.
Regardless, production of Teslas and similar creates the worse environmental impact then I.C. cars.
I am sorry but you are still making no sense. Not only is the world not running out of Nickel but the world is not running out of Lithium either.

For the Tesla Gigafactory they have already signed contracts for Lithium supplies and in a bit of good news for American manufacturing new Lithium mines are about to come on line in the United States to serve the Tesla Gigafactory and as battery production scales up so will lithium production.

We are not running out of Lithium but Tesla competitors will soon figure out how prescient it was for Tesla to build a battery factory so large that it equals the worldwide production of Lithium-Ion batteries worldwide. Everyone else will now be scrambling to buy or build batteries and the shortage will not be on Lithium but capacity to build batteries.

Tesla is now sitting on over 400,000 reservations for their new electric car and this is about 2 years before the car is even available for purchase.

Production of Teslas create worse environmental impact? Where did you dig up this nonsense? Combustion cars are not given birth by a rainbows. At best the production of combustion cars and the electric cars are similar as they use similar processes.

The big difference is as the grid gets cleaned up so will the use of electric cars. It has already happened at our house. Our rooftop solar cells generate excess electricity to charge our Tesla. We are waiting for battery costs to go down and we can conceivably go off grid when that happens.

In about another 5.5 years our solar panels would have paid for themselves and we will essentially have free power for our house and car courtesy of the giant fusion reactor up in the sky called the sun.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
I said in day to day driving where about 95% of the driving actually occurs. I don't drive hundreds of miles day to day and I have no intention of driving triple digit speeds for dozens of miles.

The point is if you have just about anything made by AMG and there is a Tesla P90D on the lane next to you, don't even try as the Tesla can obliterate just about anything made by AMG at will as far as day to day driving is concerned.

Combustion cars still have an edge over electric cars for track racing and long distance high speed racing. I've always said if you want to mindlessly drive for hundreds of miles without stopping the S Class is the way to go. But give it some time and battery electric technologies will address this issue as well.

Tesla is about to release the P100D that will increase range to about 320 miles and there will be about 5% improvement in range every year. Might not sound like much but realize this is compounded every year and already at current battery capacity the Model S is outselling the S Class.
Oh day to day driving where in almost any city the ability to go 0-60 in anything under than 7 seconds is hindered by he dozens of cars around you and in front of you. Nothing like trying to do 0-60 in 3 seconds in downtown manhattan or sf, or la, or (insert any city). The chance of you obliterating me are next to none with that Honda minivan in front of you. Mindlessly drive for hundreds of miles? Yes people actually drive there cars hundreds of miles in a day sometimes. Like I said many cars can obliterate the Tesla also. It all depends on the parameters set forth.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Landers
Oh day to day driving where in almost any city the ability to go 0-60 in anything under than 7 seconds is hindered by he dozens of cars around you and in front of you. Nothing like trying to do 0-60 in 3 seconds in downtown manhattan or sf, or la, or (insert any city). The chance of you obliterating me are next to none with that Honda minivan in front of you. Mindlessly drive for hundreds of miles? Yes people actually drive there cars hundreds of miles in a day sometimes. Like I said many cars can obliterate the Tesla also. It all depends on the parameters set forth.
I am sure there some exotics and tuned lab experiments that can out accelerate a Model S but no other production car with 4 doors. I just said there is nothing made by AMG as far as day to day driving is concerned that can out accelerate a P90D.

I drive in extremely congested DC traffic but even around here there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy the acceleration of our Model S. The best part is there is zero drama, tires peeling or obnoxious noise. It's like stealth warp speed in an instant and it is effortless.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC, EQE SUV
This thread is more like a guy wearing an Apple watch showing to Rolex people.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by sears1234
This thread is more like a guy wearing an Apple watch showing to Rolex people.
Or like someone asking "Rolex is your definition of an ultimate wrist watch?"
Old 04-22-2016, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 247 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
I am sorry but you are still making no sense. Not only is the world not running out of Nickel but the world is not running out of Lithium either.

For the Tesla Gigafactory they have already signed contracts for Lithium supplies and in a bit of good news for American manufacturing new Lithium mines are about to come on line in the United States to serve the Tesla Gigafactory and as battery production scales up so will lithium production.

We are not running out of Lithium but Tesla competitors will soon figure out how prescient it was for Tesla to build a battery factory so large that it equals the worldwide production of Lithium-Ion batteries worldwide. Everyone else will now be scrambling to buy or build batteries and the shortage will not be on Lithium but capacity to build batteries.

Tesla is now sitting on over 400,000 reservations for their new electric car and this is about 2 years before the car is even available for purchase.

Production of Teslas create worse environmental impact? Where did you dig up this nonsense? Combustion cars are not given birth by a rainbows. At best the production of combustion cars and the electric cars are similar as they use similar processes.

The big difference is as the grid gets cleaned up so will the use of electric cars. It has already happened at our house. Our rooftop solar cells generate excess electricity to charge our Tesla. We are waiting for battery costs to go down and we can conceivably go off grid when that happens.

In about another 5.5 years our solar panels would have paid for themselves and we will essentially have free power for our house and car courtesy of the giant fusion reactor up in the sky called the sun.
Therefore I provided a link in my previous post but obviously you did not bother to check it out and decided to continue with your tesla blinded propaganda.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,343 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I hope that some moderator moves this non-sensical thread into the off-topic section.

It has already been stated countless times that the Tesla doesn't compare directly with the S-Class.

Different car, clientele and buyer requirements. If 0-60 would be my priority I would buy a sports car, not an S-Class (standard or AMG).
If I would want a buy a sports car, I wouldn't buy a Tesla either. It's too heavy, has reasonably poor handling and offers no visceral driving experience.

It's a good car for other buyer requirements...

Last edited by Wolfman; 04-23-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
-
I defintely wouldnt say that the s550 and the tesla dont compete. I absolutely 100% am considering between these two cars. I doubt I am the only one.

I think both are great cars and both have the pros and cons. Tesla is likely the only car that would sway me from S class. And, despite the shortcomings, it is truly a transformational car.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sambb
I defintely wouldnt say that the s550 and the tesla dont compete. I absolutely 100% am considering between these two cars. I doubt I am the only one.

I think both are great cars and both have the pros and cons. Tesla is likely the only car that would sway me from S class. And, despite the shortcomings, it is truly a transformational car.
They do not compete. They are both great cars but I don't see many pros/cons.
Tesla builds the car for their target group, MB with their S-Class for theirs.

I recognize that this is me speaking, but when I buy a luxury car, I actually would like some luxury.
Tesla simply doesn't have that and I wouldn't think of sacrificing my primary requirement for some tech options.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman

I recognize that this is me speaking, but when I buy a luxury car, I actually would like some luxury.
Tesla simply doesn't have that and I wouldn't think of sacrificing my primary requirement for some tech options.
Agree.
At some point I have seriously considered Tesla for a daily driver as I consider it to be a techno masterpiece and a fabulous combo of practicality, performance and ease of living with it (no longer freezing my a** putting the gas in subzero temps in Chicago).
They gave me a P90D for a weekend, all was going for it but decided in the end for the more traditional route.
I spend too much time in traffic, I need a really luxurious interior to make it easier to survive, I like to be surrounded by top notch materials with great fit and finish. I also happen to drive 2-3 times/week on tollways at 3-4AM, no traffic, no cops in sight and I know where they usually hide so my speeds get easily in triple digits, even a speed limit over century mark.
At these speeds Tesla simply does not exist.
Unfortunately that car, even with all options, did not fit the bill.

Last edited by absent; 04-23-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s550
Websrfr, Sambb and other Tesla Patriots, stick to the talking points. That Tesla is the future, that combustion engines are a past, that tesla has over the air software upgrades, that charging it is breeze - plugin at night and driveway in morning - that easy. Also in the message, make sure to compare Tesla with S-class, and DO NOT bring the word Nissan Leaf or electric lawn mower in any discussion, mention how tough the decision it was, you liked MB but in end you realized that Tesla was the right decision. This is not the time to give up, spread the message to 5 MB customers, and lets save Tesla.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:12 AM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Might not sound like much but realize this is compounded every year and already at current battery capacity the Model S is outselling the S Class.
Stop spreading misinformation. The S Class is outselling the whole Tesla Model S range full stop. When the Model S starts selling over 70,000 vehicles a year, and has sold over the 200,000 S Class' sold(S Class has sold a lot more in 222 guise FYI), you can say the Model S is outselling the S Class.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
-
It is interesting the reactions here. I think the S class is a great car. I think the tesla is fantastic also. I think that one could go either way. I dont find that one is superior to the other. It makes sense that they both would be players in the market of the 100k cost. Although some may have polarized opinions that one or the other is somehow better, I just think they are different.

Nevertheless, I know of several BMW/MB/Audi buyers who have moved to tesla. I dont know many tesla buyers that have moved back to the S class, but they will be there.

I think having either in one's stable would be a great addition. They are both great cars, and that is why the decision is so difficult. There are far worse cars for this price out there.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by UrBusted
Stop spreading misinformation. The S Class is outselling the whole Tesla Model S range full stop. When the Model S starts selling over 70,000 vehicles a year, and has sold over the 200,000 S Class' sold(S Class has sold a lot more in 222 guise FYI), you can say the Model S is outselling the S Class.
You are in denial if you have to resort to platform derivations.

The Tesla Model S has been outselling the Mercedes S Class in the US in the same price segment since 2015 and I have enclosed the sales chart below for US sales.

What is new is that the Tesla Model S is now also outselling the S Class in Western Europe as well. Based on sales figures, many who test drive a Model S end up buying the Tesla over an S Class that they could also buy in the same price range. What is remarkable is that this is happening with zero advertising and a fraction of the dealer network Mercedes has. These sales results are entirely based on the merits of the Model S and Tesla technology.

http://www.eagleaid.com/AID-Newslett...-last-year.htm
Old 04-25-2016, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
They do certainly compete for those looking to buy the ultimate car in that price range.

Just based on posts on this forum, including my own experience, Mercedes has lost market share to Tesla. In fact it is so obvious if you look at 2015 US sales figures for the Tesla Model S and the S Class.

In 2015 Tesla Model S market share INCREASED 51% in the US while S Class market share DECREASED in the US by 13%.

At the least I hope we can agree that the 25,000+ people who bought a Tesla, myself included, represent a market that Mercedes was unable to serve as their S Class offering wasn't a compelling or competitive product to those customers who bought a Tesla.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
I hope that some moderator moves this non-sensical thread into the off-topic section.
So now you are advocating the censorship of one of the most popular topics on the W222 forum?

If you find it nonsensical, feel free to not take part in the discussion

A bunch of misinformation has been pointed out on this thread from the perspective of a Mercedes customer who ended up purchasing a Tesla Model S and found it to be a more compelling offering than anything sold by Mercedes at any price.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

So now you are advocating the censorship of one of the most popular topics on the W222 forum?

If you find it nonsensical, feel free to not take part in the discussion

A bunch of misinformation has been pointed out on this thread from the perspective of a Mercedes customer who ended up purchasing a Tesla Model S and found it to be a more compelling offering than anything sold by Mercedes at any price.
Most popular topic? I suppose you enjoy the controversy which makes up the majority of posts in this thread responding to your statements.

You are trying so hard to convince everyone that they are making a wrong choice with an S class that you are loosing the argument in the process. You just haven't noticed it yet.

An this happens in a thread where virtually everyone has acknowledged the good features and tech that Tesla brings to the table...
Old 04-26-2016, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wink

Most popular topic? I suppose you enjoy the controversy which makes up the majority of posts in this thread responding to your statements.

You are trying so hard to convince everyone that they are making a wrong choice with an S class that you are loosing the argument in the process. You just haven't noticed it yet.

An this happens in a thread where virtually everyone has acknowledged the good features and tech that Tesla brings to the table...
You have to give him credit though, for his tenacity in trying to convince everyone that Tesla is a gift from Heaven.
He will not rest until all of us (who don't own Tesla) confess and accept some sort of penance (buy a Leaf or Tesla 3) and apologize for arguing on behalf the S-Class.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 320 Likes on 220 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
WEBSRFR,

Your brain is not wired correctly!

And I still think you either work for Tesla or have some financial incentive to help Tesla sell cars. GIVE IT UP MAN you are pathetic.

Here is an example of your argument:

Ford F150 sales are greater than Tesla Model S sales in the US.

What do you think about that statement?

Oh that is right, the F150 is a pickup truck not a luxury sedan. Oh yes that is right, Tesla is an electric car and the S Class is a gas engine. No sh?t some people will choose electric over gas since it is a cool new technology but that does not mean the Model S REALLY competes head to head with the S Class. Like I said, your brain is not wired correctly!

WEBSRFR give it up!

You are in denial if you have to resort to platform derivations.

The Tesla Model S has been outselling the Mercedes S Class in the US in the same price segment since 2015 and I have enclosed the sales chart below for US sales.

What is new is that the Tesla Model S is now also outselling the S Class in Western Europe as well. Based on sales figures, many who test drive a Model S end up buying the Tesla over an S Class that they could also buy in the same price range. What is remarkable is that this is happening with zero advertising and a fraction of the dealer network Mercedes has. These sales results are entirely based on the merits of the Model S and Tesla technology.

http://www.eagleaid.com/AID-Newslett...-last-year.htm
Old 04-26-2016, 12:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC, EQE SUV
I think WEBSRFR is a very smart sales man, he knows Mercedes S owners are capable to buy Tesla, and try his best to persuade them here.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by sears1234
I think WEBSRFR is a very smart sales man, he knows Mercedes S owners are capable to buy Tesla, and try his best to persuade them here.
I don't need to persuade anyone. Based on sales numbers for the United States and Western Europe more people looking to buy the finest 4 door sedan for around ~$100K are opting for the Tesla Model S over an S Class.

The only part I find surprising about this is that Tesla released the Model S in 2012 and 4 years later Mercedes has yet to unveil an electric car that is competitive with what Tesla released 4 years ago.

In the meantime Mercedes continues to loose market share to Tesla in the ~$100K premium 4 door sedan market and this is a verifiable fact.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 320 Likes on 220 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Where are your facts that "more people looking to buy the finest 4 door sedan around~$100k are opting for the Tesla S over an S Class"?

Sales numbers do not prove that a person shopping for an S Class decided on a Model S. Your logic is off here. I am guessing you did not score well on IQ tests, SAT, or ACT tests.

This is like saying people buy more bananas than apples and trying to say you should buy bananas too. Sounds like advertising. Like I said, WEBSRFR either works for Tesla or has a financial incentive in Tesla.

SEARS1234 just stated "I think WEBSRFR is a very smart sales man, he knows Mercedes S owners are capable to buy Tesla, and try his best to persuade them here."

Whether WEBSRFR is a smart sales person or not is hard for me to judge here but it is clear that WEBSRFR sure can talk

WEBSRFR sure knows how to use a salesman's tactics of puffery. Or simply known as BS.

I think WEBSRFR is doing more harm here than he imagines. I think TESLA is a cool company and is advancing electric cars in some format. But WEBSRFR is turning me off to consider a TESLA since it is like a Cult. Tesla will not be the only game in town in the electric car arena. It maybe the first to advance electric cars more than competitors but the auto industry has many formidable players.

Is a MB forum the right place to advance Tesla's cause? I don't think so.

ARE THE MODERATORS AT SLEEP here?

I think the question here is "if you have driven the Model S why did you choose the S550".

If we stuck to the topic, this would be an interesting thread but WEBSRFR wants to advance HIS CAUSE.

I don't need to persuade anyone. Based on sales numbers for the United States and Western Europe more people looking to buy the finest 4 door sedan for around ~$100K are opting for the Tesla Model S over an S Class.

The only part I find surprising about this is that Tesla released the Model S in 2012 and 4 years later Mercedes has yet to unveil an electric car that is competitive with what Tesla released 4 years ago.

In the meantime Mercedes continues to loose market share to Tesla in the ~$100K premium 4 door sedan market and this is a verifiable fact.

Last edited by MTrauman; 04-26-2016 at 02:35 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: Question...If have you driven the Tesla model S vs S550, why did you choose the S550?