caught a glimpse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 07:39 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,356 Likes on 2,810 Posts
2012 CLS63
Red face caught a glimpse

out driving in my CLS yesterday, when I saw a car in my rearview from quite a ways off........thought to myself it was a S class.......and the closer it came, the more I was sure........
the DRL's are so crisp and clear and identifiable from even great distances....

I let the car catch up to me: they were flying anyway, and it was a S....
followed the car until I came to my exit..

noticed the styling of the car, had a chance to really see it in motion and get an idea of the actual size of the car....
the rear end is pretty bland, but I do like the diffuser area in the rear, the way it's the same color as the body is a nice contrast, it had 20's and they looked really nice in motion as well, although they were filthy haha

it doesn't seem like that big of a car which is interesting being that it's huge inside, it was a non 4matic and badged

these S cars are pretty nice, understated IMO in the looks department, but they do look very nice in motion
Old 03-16-2015, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Am I missing something here? Maybe you are talking about the Maybach version, as I can throw a penny out of my window in NYC and hit 10 S Classes (plus you have one of your own!)
Old 03-16-2015, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
I've had a black 2015 C class loaner (loaded with AMG package) for 2 weeks and I've had numerous w222 drivers break their necks as I passed them going opposite way. It's the DRL's on them. The C and S have very smiliar (DRL's) Daytime Running Lights on them, and yes, they are very cool and attention getting. The one guy look pissed, because I think he then realized I was in a C and looked very similar to his.

Last edited by Jason B; 03-16-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:47 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,356 Likes on 2,810 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by clkcadet
Am I missing something here? Maybe you are talking about the Maybach version, as I can throw a penny out of my window in NYC and hit 10 S Classes (plus you have one of your own!)
don't see them often in my area, and plus I'm always sitting inside of mine and never get to see it in motion
Old 03-16-2015, 11:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like to watch the wifey head out in the S and just watch as the car gets onto the driveway and heads off. They did a fantastic job on the 20inch rims for both the C400 (19inch) and the S and yes they do look amazing in motion!
Old 03-18-2015, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,457 Likes on 1,968 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Jason B
I've had a black 2015 C class loaner (loaded with AMG package) for 2 weeks and I've had numerous w222 drivers break their necks as I passed them going opposite way. It's the DRL's on them. The C and S have very smiliar (DRL's) Daytime Running Lights on them, and yes, they are very cool and attention getting. The one guy look pissed, because I think he then realized I was in a C and looked very similar to his.
I guess I'm just jaded, as I see these cars all the time.

For years, just as a pipe dream, I wondered what it would be like if a manufacturer used one design and just made it incrementally larger for each model. Now that MB has pretty much done that with the W205 C Class and the W222, I see why others have not done it in the past. It is RIDICULOUS and it truly does water down the cachet of the S Class, at least in the eyes of many folks out there. I'd like my S to look UNIQUELY S Class and not have it mistaken for a lowly C300. I hope the factory is getting a tsunami of SHxT over this and will address the problem with the mid-cycle refresh. And we can only hope that the upcoming new W213 E Class will still look uniquely E and not be another 222 clone--but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:56 PM

Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts
‘16 g550; '20 s560; '15 targa4s
streamliner - i hear what you're saying that all the benzo mainstream products are getting the homogenized look as i was today at my benzo dealer putting together the deal on my new 15 s class sedan (i'll get it tomorrow, i think) and agree it is easy to confuse the s and the c. and according to my guys at benzo - the new e is going to look *just* like the c and s by the way. but the s drives and feels significantly different than either the e or c and that's what really matters, doesn't it? not that someone sees or thinks of you in something lesser or "lowly?" who cares what they think?! the s class sedan does indeed *drive* uniquely (your word) like an s class and that is what you want i would think. no other $120,000 car can match its ride. just my opinion.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:27 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Originally Posted by ajm0623
streamliner - i hear what you're saying that all the benzo mainstream products are getting the homogenized look as i was today at my benzo dealer putting together the deal on my new 15 s class sedan (i'll get it tomorrow, i think) and agree it is easy to confuse the s and the c. and according to my guys at benzo - the new e is going to look *just* like the c and s by the way. but the s drives and feels significantly different than either the e or c and that's what really matters, doesn't it? not that someone sees or thinks of you in something lesser or "lowly?" who cares what they think?! the s class sedan does indeed *drive* uniquely (your word) like an s class and that is what you want i would think. no other $120,000 car can match its ride. just my opinion.
It's brilliant for the bottom line, look at Audi over the past decade. The entry level buyers flock to it because it does look and feel like the big brother, and the majority of high end S (or A8) buyers enjoy the vehicles for what they are and are not concerned that other cars look like theirs.