Smart keys need replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 208 Posts
2022 EQS580
Smart keys need replacement

Over the past several weeks, there have been some occasions when the message "key not detected" shows up on the display when I tried to start the engine. The batteries on both keys were replaced a couple months ago, so it could not be a dead battery. I tried the extra key that is hardly used and I got the same message. So I needed to start the engine manually on these instances. I brought the car to the dealer and the key failed once for them as well.

Evidently, MB has been having some issues on most models (including the W222) with the smart keys. The mechanic told me that it likely has something to do with static electricity affecting the function of the smart key. They ordered 2 new keys and they have arrived. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow to program the new keys.

Have any of you been having this sort of issue?
Old 04-08-2015, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S 550
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
Over the past several weeks, there have been some occasions when the message "key not detected" shows up on the display when I tried to start the engine. The batteries on both keys were replaced a couple months ago, so it could not be a dead battery. I tried the extra key that is hardly used and I got the same message. So I needed to start the engine manually on these instances. I brought the car to the dealer and the key failed once for them as well.

Evidently, MB has been having some issues on most models (including the W222) with the smart keys. The mechanic told me that it likely has something to do with static electricity affecting the function of the smart key. They ordered 2 new keys and they have arrived. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow to program the new keys.

Have any of you been having this sort of issue?
No issues here. Our first key fob batteries needed replacement after 16 months. But no other issue.

Let us know what else you learn from the dealer.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 208 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by DaveVY
No issues here. Our first key fob batteries needed replacement after 16 months. But no other issue.

Let us know what else you learn from the dealer.
Well, I brought the car to the dealer this morning (10:00 AM) and they completed the programming of the new keys with the car by 3:00 PM. Everything seems to be working as before. I did ask the service advisor if the new keys from the factory have resolved this issue. He acknowledged that the new keys will not have this issue but he did not know what MB did different with the new keys.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,428 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Been having the same issue with a 2014 e63S (built in late 2013)

I solve the problem by clicking lock button on keypad while in the car and it registers and then works

I hear there is a software update

Also I have this problem when the keyfob is next to another keyfob
Old 04-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
LI80.61-P-057752 https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...ml#post5870705