S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Thank God for W222 Safety Features since they were tested tonight AND I am ALIVE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 02:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You were launched off the road into the treeline and the car was suspended in a tree?

Whoa, I"m assuming the momentum had you hit the tree and keep going deep in the woodline.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:20 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Completely insane, glad it was only the car that's wrecked

Look into the blackvue 650 for front n rear, I have them for this very reason
Old 06-27-2015, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E55
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
I have a feeling they are dragging their feet for liability reasons. Imagine Mercedes or a carmaker being sued by an aggrieved party for the video recordings after an accident. I think they let third parties handle this so they don't have direct liability over the functionality or the video footage but who knows with all the cameras around all it takes is one car manufacturer to offer it and they will all jump in.
Please realize that if our cars have this ability, law enforcement authorities/insurance companies could compel this discovery. This means that there would be a ton of data for lawyers and experts to pore over in every accident. I'm not sure that I'd want that.

For example, you get pulled over for speeding and you decide to fight the ticket. The state troopers could ask you to turn over your onboard computer to prove what speed you were going at the time. That technology exists. Now wonder why no one ever talks about adding it.

I can assure you that if you had cameras in your car, the other side would ask for the footage and they would paint a story in which you were liable, every time. Being under surveillance all the time may not always be to your advantage.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 218 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
As I study photographs taken of my accident scene, I noticed something very unusual. I noticed what looks like an airbag on the ground where my car entered a section of brush and trees which was its "final resting spot".

I had been reading tonight that MB was going to add the external airbag to the Pre-safe feature to the W222 underneath the car that is suppose to significantly increase the braking power of the S Class.

It appears that the W222 does have the external airbag under the car to increase the braking power in a crash. If this is true I will say---WOW. I suppose this could be an airbag from a prior crash at the scene of the accident but I doubt it.

Does anyone know for sure if this technology is part of the S Class?
Old 06-28-2015, 05:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I've seen studies about that airbag under the car for braking but no, it is not included in the 222.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:53 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by BklynMarc
Please realize that if our cars have this ability, law enforcement authorities/insurance companies could compel this discovery. This means that there would be a ton of data for lawyers and experts to pore over in every accident. I'm not sure that I'd want that.

For example, you get pulled over for speeding and you decide to fight the ticket. The state troopers could ask you to turn over your onboard computer to prove what speed you were going at the time. That technology exists. Now wonder why no one ever talks about adding it.

I can assure you that if you had cameras in your car, the other side would ask for the footage and they would paint a story in which you were liable, every time. Being under surveillance all the time may not always be to your advantage.
would that video information not be of the private party?
Old 06-28-2015, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by hyperion667
would that video information not be of the private party?
Yes, but when its contents are pertinent to litigation, it can be subpoenaed by the courts.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:39 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by LovinMercedes
Yes, but when its contents are pertinent to litigation, it can be subpoenaed by the courts.
we should have that changed.....maybe if Trump gets elected, he can help us with that
Old 06-28-2015, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
we should have that changed.....maybe if Trump gets elected, he can help us with that
Why would you want the "truth" hidden?
Old 06-28-2015, 09:22 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Precedent exists, Waze has a disclaimer about data including speed could be subpoenaed, I'm sure the same exists with dash cam footage
Old 06-28-2015, 09:50 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by LovinMercedes
Why would you want the "truth" hidden?
I wouldn't want that; just my right to privacy should there be some reason for it
Old 06-28-2015, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,243 Likes on 2,019 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by jenz
Precedent exists, Waze has a disclaimer about data including speed could be subpoenaed, I'm sure the same exists with dash cam footage
That is actually not a precedent since the data is stored through a 3rd party service and therefore subject to their policies and limitations.

Dashcam data is personal data that can be compared to personal cell phone data. The Supreme Court ruled that a warrant would be required to obtain that and that is a very high bar.

Personally I have front/rear dash cams in all our cars (primarily in case of accidents or vandalism) but I can see that the data can be used both ways. Since virtually nobody drives exactly the speed limit, even if not at fault for an accident, one could be attributed a partial fault due to speeding.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:20 PM

'05 E55
Originally Posted by Wolfman
That is actually not a precedent since the data is stored through a 3rd party service and therefore subject to their policies and limitations.

Dashcam data is personal data that can be compared to personal cell phone data. The Supreme Court ruled that a warrant would be required to obtain that and that is a very high bar.

Personally I have front/rear dash cams in all our cars (primarily in case of accidents or vandalism) but I can see that the data can be used both ways. Since virtually nobody drives exactly the speed limit, even if not at fault for an accident, one could be attributed a partial fault due to speeding.
Be careful because the standard is actually quite low, especially in a civil case (which is where most car accidents involving only property damage would lie). In a direct action where a person is already a party to an action, no subpoena/warrant is needed (which are devices used to compel testimony/evidence from non-parties or in a criminal proceeding). All the other side needs to do is file a discovery request. The standard there is usually as permissive (depending on the jurisdiction) as "reasonably calculated to lead to the discovery of admissible evidence." That's it.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:38 PM

'05 E55
I wouldn't want that; just my right to privacy should there be some reason for it
Bingo. And that's the heart of the dilemma. More data means more information and a greater ability to recreate what happened at a given time. But that also means less privacy. I think it's a struggle as people try to find the right balance.

If you want an example of how much information we transmit (unawares) due to all the technology around us, ask Aaron Hernandez. Law enforcement in MA was able to create a pretty comprehensive picture based on cellphone data (among other things). Putting that same type of monitoring in cars is easy and done all the time (think LoJack).