2016 S550e

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 04:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GL, E63
2016 S550e

Seems like the power is up vs 2015
Does anyone know the details and when will that hit the dealer?

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicl...nt=model-specs
Old 11-07-2015, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
I've summarized a few details about it on a recent thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...ml#post6592183

I have no idea who in their right mind would want to buy that overcomplicated and compromised mess. It seems the only reason they built that car was for help with their CARB and CAFE ratings. I bet it will fail just as badly as past hybrid S Class variants.

The fact that it has a full EV mode is a joke when you consider the fact that with only a 114hp electric motor driving a very heavy car, a Nissan Leaf or Chevrolet Volt likely has a better power to weight ratio It also has less than 10% the battery capacity of a Tesla so the little driving you can do with the puny 114hp electric motor will be quite limited and when that happens you are driving a gasoline S Class with only 329 hp.

When Mercedes finally makes a 300+ mile range electric S Class it will be a phenomenally refined and staggeringly well performing vehicle. Until then, enjoy the V8 rumble and leave the Hybrid messes to suckers.

Hopefully we will see an all electric S Class sooner rather than later, especially considering that the Model S is on the verge of displacing the Mercedes S Class in sales in the same price segment in Western Europe. I don't think Mercedes in recent memory has ever really lost this position in Europe and it will likely happen in Q4 of this year.

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 11-07-2015 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Tidy up grammar.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 428 Likes on 353 Posts
MB’s
Same talk over and over again. God what a broken record lol. Getting back on subject...

OP: Not sure when the S550e will be available. I would call your local dealer and ask them if you have a particular interest in this model.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
Same talk over and over again. God what a broken record lol. Getting back on subject...

OP: Not sure when the S550e will be available. I would call your local dealer and ask them if you have a particular interest in this model.
Back on subject? The subject is the 550e and that's what I've been discussing. Specifically how much power it has as mentioned by the OP until your diatribe.

I take it you don't like what I said. Too bad about that but do you disagree with anything that I said? The hybrid S Class is a sham given that in electric mode you are driving around a 5,000lb car with a 114hp electric motor.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,343 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Back on subject? The subject is the 550e and that's what I've been discussing. Specifically how much power it has as mentioned by the OP until your diatribe.

I take it you don't like what I said. Too bad about that but do you disagree with anything that I said? The hybrid S Class is a sham given that in electric mode you are driving around a 5,000lb car with a 114hp electric motor.
Your comments are annoying to say the very least.

If you want to provide actual information about availability & power info as asked for by the OP that would have been great and on topic.

Nobody wants to know what you think about EV's or how terrible hybrids are in your view. And PLEASE do not mention Tesla unless somebody is looking for type of feedback in the S-Class forum.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:45 AM

GL, E63
Thank you Wolfman.

And please advise if someone knows the current US money factory buy rate of the S class.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
I've summarized a few details about it on a recent thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...ml#post6592183

I have no idea who in their right mind would want to buy that overcomplicated and compromised mess. It seems the only reason they built that car was for help with their CARB and CAFE ratings. I bet it will fail just as badly as past hybrid S Class variants.

The fact that it has a full EV mode is a joke when you consider the fact that with only a 114hp electric motor driving a very heavy car, a Nissan Leaf or Chevrolet Volt likely has a better power to weight ratio It also has less than 10% the battery capacity of a Tesla so the little driving you can do with the puny 114hp electric motor will be quite limited and when that happens you are driving a gasoline S Class with only 329 hp.

When Mercedes finally makes a 300+ mile range electric S Class it will be a phenomenally refined and staggeringly well performing vehicle. Until then, enjoy the V8 rumble and leave the Hybrid messes to suckers.

Hopefully we will see an all electric S Class sooner rather than later, especially considering that the Model S is on the verge of displacing the Mercedes S Class in sales in the same price segment in Western Europe. I don't think Mercedes in recent memory has ever really lost this position in Europe and it will likely happen in Q4 of this year.

You are as clueless as you are annoying. You keep touting sales and every time you do it shows that S-Class is still ahead. Are you really that limited? For some dumb reason you think these cars are direct competitors.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 11-09-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:11 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,419 Likes on 2,857 Posts
2012 CLS63
can I be annoying too guys? huh? can I? me too? hey guys! me too? huh?
Old 11-09-2015, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Your comments are annoying to say the very least.
What part of pointing out how silly it is to drive a 5,000lb S Class with a puny 114hp electric motor in Electric Drive Mode do you find annoying? I did address the OP's question which specifically had to do with the performance of the 550e. Pointing out the miniscule battery capacity and electric motor HP is actually on topic to what was asked.

An S Class should provide an uncompromised driving experience. While I can understand someone buying a Toyota Camry Hybrid to save a few MPGs I have no idea why someone would want to compromise an S Class with an overcomplicated hybrid mess. I've given my reasons as to why I feel this way and feel that it is better to just buy a V8 S Class so you can experience the car in its uncompromised form.

Feel free to dispute any of the facts or the logic I've presented other than the fact that you just don't like what I've said.

Oh and I forgot to mention another one of the compromises of buying a Hybrid S Class, look what it does to the trunk of the S Class, as you are left with 25% less space. Most importantly you can no longer stack suitcases in lengthwise as the battery infringes on the useable truck space. To put that in perspective, a Toyota Corolla has 13 cubic feet of trunk space and the S550e barely has 12 cubic feet of trunk space because of the protruding battery. And just that battery adds about 650lbs to the back of the car further diminishing performance and balance.

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 11-09-2015 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Tidy up grammar.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:25 AM

GL, E63
Test drove both e and regular extensively, (have the current E63 and a GL 450), same engine as the GL 450.
There are some power gap, but not a deal killer. This S is not for my performance need anyway (991 Turbo S is the car i take if i want power), pulled in the E63 lease and took the S550e home.
Love it in many ways, feed my needs/wants, its for the family.
The bonus I got is the brake on the S550e feels better than the regular 550. Pretty powerful brake; smooth and gradual
The only big drawback is the trunk space. outside of that, this is perfect for me.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by UAG1
Test drove both e and regular extensively, (have the current E63 and a GL 450), same engine as the GL 450.
There are some power gap, but not a deal killer. This S is not for my performance need anyway (991 Turbo S is the car i take if i want power), pulled in the E63 lease and took the S550e home.
Love it in many ways, feed my needs/wants, its for the family.
The bonus I got is the brake on the S550e feels better than the regular 550. Pretty powerful brake; smooth and gradual
The only big drawback is the trunk space. outside of that, this is perfect for me.
Congrats on your new car! Post some pics and let us know your driving impressions and fuel consumption over time...
Old 11-14-2015, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,761 Likes on 2,149 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
OK, so WEBSRFR went a bit off topic, but he makes some excellent points. The S550e is yet another ridiculous, stopgap attempt my MB to meet CAFE standards, while still being able to offer cars with insanely ridiculous performance capabilities, such as the S65 & other AMG vehicles. The S550e makes no sense at all, at least not to me. When I merely inquired about test driving an E Class Hybrid, about a year ago, my dealer told me there was not one in stock, they were "special order only," and that the reason for this was due to the fact that "nobody wants one and we don't want to get stuck with one in our inventory."
It would be amazing to see what MB could do and what they could offer their customers, if they would simply decide that 400hp is way more than enough power for any passenger car and stop wasting precious resources trying to build 200mph+ cars for the street at one end of the spectrum, while also trying to build 5,000 pound/50mpg+ sedans at the other end.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Streamliner
OK, so WEBSRFR went a bit off topic, but he makes some excellent points. The S550e is yet another ridiculous, stopgap attempt my MB to meet CAFE standards, while still being able to offer cars with insanely ridiculous performance capabilities, such as the S65 & other AMG vehicles. The S550e makes no sense at all, at least not to me. When I merely inquired about test driving an E Class Hybrid, about a year ago, my dealer told me there was not one in stock, they were "special order only," and that the reason for this was due to the fact that "nobody wants one and we don't want to get stuck with one in our inventory."
It would be amazing to see what MB could do and what they could offer their customers, if they would simply decide that 400hp is way more than enough power for any passenger car and stop wasting precious resources trying to build 200mph+ cars for the street at one end of the spectrum, while also trying to build 5,000 pound/50mpg+ sedans at the other end.
Many MB's don't make sense to you but that doesn't mean they don't make sense to others. So what?

The car markets vary across the world with people having very different opinions and priorities.
In Germany many people think that cars like the S-Class are simply out of place. Very few buy them there and a vast majority are company cars (don't remember the number, but I think it's close to 80%) and with small engines.

If MB would look just at the German market, there wouldn't be a S550 either.

Last edited by Wolfman; 11-14-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:20 PM

GL, E63
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Love Mine, getting 25-30MPG local and freeway. Super smooth and quiet. Dont see a regular is better except trunk space.